Autopsy Umpiring šŸ˜³ (autopsy vs Lions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway - What was rat doing playing seniors again?

He should be playing auskick with the other kids.

I have always said I've only ever seen one game of footy where the umpires seemed to actively want one side to win over the other. The Adelaide v Fitzroy game in 93.

Last week the umpires weren't against us because we're North, they were for Essendon for a variety of reasons, most of them scientifically proven (crowd noise affirmation etc).

Last week we shouldn't have lost.

Tonight - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Jeez it seemed like they were really to keen to get Brissy up, and it isn't like 23,000 One Nation voters who don't even know the rules can create a wall of sound like the Essendon members wing can, so that excuse doesn't apply.
Tis a mugs game

Sheesh I reckon we're on track and are more advanced than I thought. We have unearthed some serious talent this year. It seems Maj will play AFL before the years out. ""

We will be moving Zurhaar into the guts. Jacobs is still on our list. LDU, McDonald, Daw, Hall ( i'm not writing him off) Garner will be back next week, there was an argument for his inclusion this week, but we stayed the course. Those five inclusions and we win alot of games of footy.

I think we need to be a little brave during trade time, but am not sure we'll have the people in place by then to do so.
Agree whole heartedly. Decisions need to be made very soon

The whole farce about this one decision is that it takes the spotlight away from the real robbery which was the 3rd quarter.
Yep, Gil called the umps at 3 qtr time and said: ā€œBoys, I know I said give Brissy a leg up but you might have gone a little overboard. Youā€™re going to have to pay a game changer to give the media a red herring.ā€

Watch the replay, you can clearly hear it.

We did that in Round 2 - they beat us by 20 points.
With a team struggling to find it's identity?

The team then would've been slaughtered last night by 50+ considering just how unusually one dimensional that team was in Rd 2. We have improved massively since then. Gotta consider the travelling aspect as well. Did we cover the outside in that game? Did we play more defensive football like we have the past month? I think we look a lot better now.

Not taking shots at you, but anyone that thinks this side hasn't improved is kidding themselves. There is still heaps of potential for us to discover.

A new era awaits.

Hun doesn't hold back here.

Staffo is Collingwood to his very core. There is a magpie on the front of his recently released memoir. Talks about his love for the Pies within. A great read fwiw.

But he writes for the local audience.

No Fairfax QLD paper. He just freelances for them so The Age can have match reports on games at the Gabba and Metricon.

I know it is Queensland but they do have the internet.

if the AFL admits the call was wrong:
tenor.gif

Despite still feeling disappointed today by the result and the garbage umpiring, I still managed to crack a smile thinking about Cunners 50m pass the wrong way to Thompson..... 100% he had no clue he was going the wrong way...

Thankgod he did it

I did it in Under 12ā€™s Footy and have been waiting for 40 years to say ā€˜see a North player even does itā€™

#scarred4life
If i played I'd do that every game

You put your hard earned up to support your club......and every year, you hope this is the year something great happens...but then a maggot umpire makes the wrong decision and takes it all away....
The rat pays a push with 1 min to go straight in front. But the rat missed the push and block to Brown, at the other end, 10 min earlier!
Now i accept a bad decision. A mistake. But how is it that 10 minutes prior, you are not paying the push and with 1 minute to go, you decide to pay it?
Thats what smells dodgy. That's what p1sses me off.
So what do we do now? Wait for 2020. Put your money up again...(plus 3 other family members). And we do it all again.....?
Yes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the first season I honestly can confidently say the umpiring is exponentially drawing attention from not just supporting teams on the day, but neutral supporters. It has gotten to the stage that collectively supporters are simply losing the love for the game because games are so inconsistently umpired. The AFL compounds the inconsistency with even more bizarre rule changes (originally meant to fix interpretations - according to the AFL) which make umpiring ever so much more difficult. With each decision comes a massive flow of hesitation and doubt from the umpires, clearly this is because they are NOT capable of dealing with the new set of rules nor have they studied them thoroughly enough to be given all clear to adjudicate a match.

The AFL is ultimately responsible for this, and should not allow incompetence to continue to reign. It is nearly deciding games at this point. In our case, it denied us to compete altogether.

Thorough training programs need to be put in place to stop this. Pressure situations should be simulated with AFL level practice match intensity. Train the umpires to their absolute mental and physical limit across the board. A thorough exam might not be a bad idea for the AFL to see what is unclear to the umpires. Better to improve it now before it gets worse.

Just understanding each rule is one thing, applying it consistently is another. Both need to be aced by umpires. Not half-competently.

Hun doesn't hold back here.

That writer just committed career suicide.

Refreshing to see the media point out the farce that was the 3rd quarter, rather than talk about the final dagger at the end.

That writer just committed career suicide.

Refreshing to see the media point out the farce that was the 3rd quarter, rather than talk about the final dagger at the end.

Yeah, I know, its the footy equivalent of writing:

"Iran is an ancient and historic culture that has witnessed American forces invade and occupy its neighbours in the last two decades and faces a increasingly militaristic and unstable nuclear-armed Israel."

The admittance of the error in the last minute was a lot easier to explain, than the systematic reaming that occurred in the 3rd quarter.

Since when have we seen the AFL not try to justifie that free kick? Because they could have quite easily argued that there was some kind of push / block, even though it would have been total rubbish.

Admit to the one error to cover up the farce that was the third quarter. Itā€™s a lot easier to focus on one thing, than explaining changed decisions, marks not being paid, mystical reversals, holding that didnā€™t exist and so on and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
You put your hard earned up to support your club......and every year, you hope this is the year something great happens...but then a maggot umpire makes the wrong decision and takes it all away....
The rat pays a push with 1 min to go straight in front. But the rat missed the push and block to Brown, at the other end, 10 min earlier!
Now i accept a bad decision. A mistake. But how is it that 10 minutes prior, you are not paying the push and with 1 minute to go, you decide to pay it?
Thats what smells dodgy. That's what p1sses me off.
So what do we do now? Wait for 2020. Put your money up again...(plus 3 other family members). And we do it all again.....?
The reason the Afl must react and make sure it cant happen and cost a team a final.The end result from this is North now cant make finals so how much does that cost them in financial terms and maybe Shaw now doesn't get the coaching gig because of the loss how much does that cost him in financial terms.This all because some umpire decided that it was an illegal push out which if reviewed would have been overturned as it has been now but too late.Do what Nrl and have a bunker to review such incidents

The reason the Afl must react and make sure it cant happen and cost a team a final.The end result from this is North now cant make finals so how much does that cost them in financial terms and maybe Shaw now doesn't get the coaching gig because of the loss how much does that cost him in financial terms.This all because some umpire decided that it was an illegal push out which if reviewed would have been overturned as it has been now but too late.Do what Nrl and have a bunker to review such incidents
What makes you think the AFL would want that decision overturned?

The more you watch footy, you come to realise that itā€™s nothing more than a pantomime. The issue is that the average punter believes that the show is real.

You only have to look at the FIXture to see the real agenda, which is profit maximisation.

Not everything will go the AFLā€™s way, but hey they have 23 rounds to make the adjustments they need ;)

Under Scott, second quarters were often the problem for some reason.
Last couple of weeks, our third quarters were clearly our worst in games that could have been won. Could be a coincidence, but it may be something we have to look at, in terms of what the half time routine is.

I am not someone who lays into the same player(s) game after game, but it was blatantly obvious I thought, that Macmillan and Hrovat were clearly the players that weren't up to it on the night and need to be replaced if we want any standards enforced.

You didnā€™t have to be Einstein to see how they felt.

Higgins wasnā€™t backwards in telling the idiots that they had just cost us the game.

The whole farce about this one decision is that it takes the spotlight away from the real robbery which was the 3rd quarter.

Yes I think the looks on the players faces said it all. To me they had a look that said "we were reamed here". In most games the boys walk off with a look of disappointment. Instead on Saturday night there was a real anger to how they looked straight after the game.

I do not subscribe to the view that the AFL "instructs" the umpires as to what result they want. If they did, it only needs one person on the inside to get their noses out of joint and "blow the whistle" on such an approach. Then all hell would break loose.

Which is an interesting description of such an action when we are talking about umpires.

I think the real problem is that many of the umpires are simply not up to the standard required to be a "whistleblower". Leigh Fisher in my opinion sits clearly in that category.

This is a serious issue for the game and it needs to be addressed. I don't know how though.

I can't be bothered getting all "up and about" on this occasion, because frankly we were highly unlikely to make the 8 after the loss against *essendon and even if we did I doubt if we would advance too far. Instead now as things stand and as they are likely to pan out, we should get both a good draft pick and a better draw next year.

So I'll just park my angry meter at "volcano not far off eruption" levels rather than ready to blow. Make of that what you will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back