Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

Remove this Banner Ad

After Sunday's game I'm still very confused about what is and isn't high contact.

This isn't high contact

1622672100727.png

and neither is this, on either Wines or Drew

1622672163524.png

and neither is this

1622672294206.png

It's almost as if that number 7 from Freemantle can make contact with an opponent above the shoulders and it doesn't constitute high contact :think:

They need to remove the grey areas, or at least reduce them. For example f@&k off the deliberate OOB rule and either make it last touch or go back to just on the full. Pick one, the hybrid bullshit that requires mind-reading is a joke.

And actually enforce the clear cut rules we already have FFS e.g. throwing the ball, kicking in danger. I don’t care if it leads to 100 frees per game if they’re there call them.

This. How many other sports have "intent" as a vital part of the rules? In the end it just leads to stupid pantomime s**t with players lying on the ground during a tackle nodding their head vigorously to indicate that they're trying to get the ball out without actually trying to get the ball out. Someone holds the ball to your chest? Better start half heartedly hitting it with your fist with no attempt to actually jolt it free, because if you don't you'll get done holding the ball.

This. How many other sports have "intent" as a vital part of the rules? In the end it just leads to stupid pantomime sh*t with players lying on the ground during a tackle nodding their head vigorously to indicate that they're trying to get the ball out without actually trying to get the ball out. Someone holds the ball to your chest? Better start half heartedly hitting it with your fist with no attempt to actually jolt it free, because if you don't you'll get done holding the ball.
It used to happen in rugby league, until they got rid of it.
Flopping like a fish to milk the free we were :).

After Sunday's game I'm still very confused about what is and isn't high contact.

This isn't high contact

View attachment 1144926

and neither is this, on either Wines or Drew

View attachment 1144929

and neither is this

View attachment 1144933

It's almost as if that number 7 from Freemantle can make contact with an opponent above the shoulders and it doesn't constitute high contact :think:

Gerard Healy's commentary of that incident was absolute dogshit.

None of the other commentators calling him out on it was dogshittier.

And that high fend off on Drew led to a goal to them. And I do recall Healy loving how well Fyfe got out of trouble. Does seem like Fyfe carries his own rulebook on the high fend off.

And that high fend off on Drew led to a goal to them. And I do recall Healy loving how well Fyfe got out of trouble. Does seem like Fyfe carries his own rulebook on the high fend off.

As does Rusty Martin.

Drew even pointed to his neck and asked the question of the umpire. Three umpires on the field and not one saw that as contact above the shoulder.

As does Rusty Martin.
Compare what Dusty and Fyfe get away with on a weekly basis with the high fend off free paid against Georgiades against the Bulldogs. Umpires must be instructed to be lenient towards certain high profile players "for the good of the game".

And standing the mark too it seems. I reckon on at least three occasions he walked in from the protected area to stand about 3-4m over the mark and each time the umpire asked politely, and several times for "Nat just back a few please". The AFL then wonder why umpires cop it from all and sundry.

And standing the mark too it seems. I reckon on at least three occasions he walked in from the protected area to stand about 3-4m over the mark and each time the umpire asked politely, and several times for "Nat just back a few please". The AFL then wonder why umpires cop it from all and sundry.
I think they were Jnr WA umpires or something. Probably starstruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football is by far my favourite sport. But it’s wearing incredibly thin at the moment.

I watch a fair bit of other sports and the difference in the quality of officiating is stark. The A-League is even well ahead of the AFL now.

Take tonight’s game. At least 5 decisions immediately come to mind that resulted in goals or denied scoring opportunities (eg Dixon in the ruck before half time, HTB against Jonas, non call against Hawkins for high on McKenzie followed by call against MG at the other end. Multiple Selwood shrugs)

Yet most would consider (quite rightly in comparison) that this was a fairly standard game by umpiring standards. In other sports this would be considered unacceptable and an outrage.

By no means do I think this was the difference in the game, and Geelong fans can probably recall bad decisions against them (which really just adds to this point). But why do we have to settle for such a poor level of officiating in what is supposed to be a professional league? We’re stuck with part time umpires in a league which is forever changing the rules in order to maintain their preferred aesthetics.

At some point in your football following journey you realise that the club you support is simply a cash cow to allow the VFL clubs and all those employed in the Victorian football industry to make more money than they would if their league was confined to their shitty state. We are not considered a genuine part of the league and it would be a monumental effort to ever win anything ever again.

At some point in your football following journey you realise that the club you support is simply a cash cow to allow the VFL clubs and all those employed in the Victorian football industry to make more money than they would if their league was confined to their shitty state. We are not considered a genuine part of the league and it would be a monumental effort to ever win anything ever again.
I feel the same way too. We are being used, that’s all.

I’m basically out of here, out the door! The cats first goal in the last quarter was very suss! The boundary umpire had thrown the ball in with the intention of it dropping short. The cats were very aware of this ploy and it cost us a goal. It all reeks of prior knowledge. Very handy in, up until then, a tight game.
We have no chance with this type of corruption going on!

Take tonight’s game. At least 5 decisions immediately come to mind that resulted in goals or denied scoring opportunities (eg Dixon in the ruck before half time, HTB against Jonas, non call against Hawkins for high on McKenzie followed by call against MG at the other end. Multiple Selwood shrugs)

People are complaining about the TJ one but he should have been smarter. The umpire behind him is looking for movement. If he had bobbed his head up and down rather than standing straight up there is no way that gets called as HTB. Its how that rule is adjudicated now.

We can argue all day as to whether that's the stupidest thing in the history of the world, but it was called as its been called for some time now.

People are complaining about the TJ one but he should have been smarter. The umpire behind him is looking for movement. If he had bobbed his head up and down rather than standing straight up there is no way that gets called as HTB. Its how that rule is adjudicated now.

We can argue all day as to whether that's the stupidest thing in the history of the world, but it was called as its been called for some time now.

Did he have prior opportunity?

Having to bob your head up and down is the issue with the interpretation. The unpires are expecting you to act and its ridiculous.
That should be trumped by the fact that he had no prior opportunity anyway.

About as much as Bonner in the first.
If you went through with I fine tooth comb you would find so many double standards it wouldn't be funny.
Selwood is a protected species took a players legs out at 1 stage play throws the ball never gets called htb etc

I’m sick of our club not complaining about the rubbish standard of umpiring.
It’s no coincidence the teams that complain the most get the best run. That and being Victorian.

You're not allowed to complain or you get fined. You're not even allowed to complain on the field or you get a 50m penalty. The AFL is a dictatorship.

There is no ability any more to read the rules and expect them to be adjudicated in that way because it's all about interpretation. Prior opportunity, incorrect disposal, all that stuff is just nonsense that nobody has any idea on what they mean any more because they are never judged in the way they are written in the rulebook.

Having to bob your head up and down is the issue with the interpretation. The unpires are expecting you to act and its ridiculous.
That should be trumped by the fact that he had no prior opportunity anyway.

Yeah its absolutely ridiculous and stupid, that's not what I'm arguing.

What I'm saying is we can sit here and complain, or our players can just accept it is how it is and move their head up and down and not get pinged. It's incredibly stupid but we need to just bob the head like everyone else does.

There was one point last night where a Cats player had both arms free being held down and was clearly holding the ball to his chest so it didn't come out. While doing so he bobbed his head around, and didn't get pinged as a result. Its a smart reaction to a dumb situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back