Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone that thinks umpires aren't influenced by external noise is dreamin

Yes, those rabbits definitely umpired to the crowd yesterday. The holding the ball interpretation was ridiculous. At least half a dozen times players were penalised without having any chance to dispose of the ball. The crowd roared baaaall and that was it. Whatever happened to rewarding the player making the ball his object?

The other thing is the word must have filtered down re video reviewing doubtful scores. They were not taking any chances yesterday.

Leigh Matthews was a big one for the guy going to get the ball shouldn’t be penalised like they do most of the time.

JHF when he got done was busting his but to get the ball out, nearly smashed the TV.

Even G Lyon ‘didn’t agree with it’….

But it’s the ones they ‘don’t pay’ which are worse.

Quite right an excellent example and there was another instance when Aliir ran straight at the ball was not impeded but the Freo crowd reacted and the Umpire responded with a free for holding the ball. I will have another look but I do not think Aliir took possession or if he did he only had the ball for a fraction of a second and definitely had no prior opportunity to get rid of it.

I agree with Lethal but we played in an era when the player who was making the ball his object was protected.

The way they officiate JHF is bordering on an enquiry to the AFL. I’ve never seen a player judged more harshly regarding HTB and any 50/50 call like the mark he took they will go the opposite way. Surely im not the only one noticing this?
Everyone is noticing it. I wonder if he gets on the lip to them. That's the only explanation

Quite right an excellent example and there was another instance when Aliir ran straight at the ball was not impeded but the Freo crowd reacted and the Umpire responded with a free for holding the ball. I will have another look but I do not think Aliir took possession or if he did he only had the ball for a fraction of a second and definitely had no prior opportunity to get rid of it.

I agree with Lethal but we played in an era when the player who was making the ball his object was protected.

Yeah I recall the Aliir one. That was a great example of easy free for them, yet we didn't get many like that in return.

Worst non call of the game for mine was Alex Pearce in the forward pocket just handballing in a tackle, directly out of bounds, which was over his head. It doesn't get more deliberate than that.

Fifty pages of bitching and the funny thing nothing will change. Close it down!
The last comment me being sarcastic!!

Umpiring is not something I tend to notice in games but yesterday was gross.

The commentators are complicit too - they said nothing on that one.
Der Wayne only ever mentions it when it when he thinks it should be against us.

The commentators are complicit too - they said nothing on that one.
To be fair, I don't think I've heard the commentators call out as many bad calls that went against us as they did yesterday. Maybe it's just because the sample size is so huge because we got such a bad run, but they definitely accurately made noises about several calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But our coach says it’s us not the umpires 🤷‍♂️

Earlier in the season, but he definitely had a crack a couple of weeks ago.

JHF is tackled high all the time and hardly ever gets paid. Crickets from the media who are apparently so concerned about player welfare.

Der Wayne only ever mentions it when it when he thinks it should be against us.

He forensically examines every free kick paid to Port.

The McEntee run down of Serong is a classic example. He bitched about that but umps pay those that way every week. Sure there probably was a push in the back there, but Serong was strolling along carefree and was nailed.

JHF when he got done was busting his but to get the ball out, nearly smashed the TV.

Opposition players really seem to revel in mauling him when he’s vulnerable too — the tackles always come with an extra dollop of mustard.

Be nice if they were adjudged without preconceived bias, rather than “yeah! take that little sh¡t down a peg!” as seems to be happening.

There needs to be an inquiry into umpiring - it looks crook and rotten to the core.
You have to have a head of football to set one up.

Its almost 11 months since Brad Scott stepped down from that position to coach Essendon, and the AFL hasn't replaced him and got a woman as the acting person in charge, Laura Kane (lawyer), appointed in March, official title is Acting Executive General Manager Football, who has probably played little footy, definitely not at AFLW level. Was involved in footy operations, AFLW and AFL at North Melbourne for about 5 years. She is about 33 years old.

She was appointed as General Manager Competition Management in September 2021 when Brad Scott was appointed General Manager Football, when Andrew Dillion (lawyer) went from Acting Executive General Manager of Football to be formally appointed to the role on a permanent basis in a revised executive portfolio to include Football Operations, Legal and Integrity.

So nobody is really in charge anywhere it appears at the AFL, they are all fill ins. Brendon Gale told the AFL to piss off, he wasn't going to be Dillion's new lackey and have to deal with the s**t they have created in the football department.

Earlier in the season, but he definitely had a crack a couple of weeks ago.

JHF is tackled high all the time and hardly ever gets paid. Crickets from the media who are apparently so concerned about player welfare.

Didn't he walk that back a couple of days later?

I totally agree with you on the media.

Last edited:
Ricciuto said the rules should be changed so that similar instances to Saturday night were reviewed automatically given the massive consequences.
“It didn’t touch the post, it was a goal. For all that night and all yesterday and still now, it’s probably as angry as I’ve ever been in terms of football,” he told Triple M on Monday.
“How the hell the umpire didn’t call for a review is inexcusable. Yeah, he was in the right spot, but it’s such an important moment in the game. If you have any doubt at all you call for a review.
“He stuffed up … simply not reviewing it. “The four field umpires could have got involved. They had five seconds before the Swans brought the ball back in.
“Once that ball comes back into play the umpires can’t call for a review. That’s mistake two.“Should the AFL go back and look at the rules, change it so umpires can review even if the ball’s brought back in. I think so.“I think it should be an automatic review for close points.”

Meanwhile SA radio host Stephen Rowe went utterly mad in response to the incident. “No! No! No! I’m not accepting that! Don’t tell me to calm down in the studio!” he screamed on FiveAA.“That’s cheating! That is cheating! That is robbed and cheated, that is a clear goal, why did they not go upstairs?!”

Last edited by a moderator:
In finals every goal or opportunity counts, we're going to be at a severe disadvantage every game with the way we never get the same 50/50 calls going our way

Didn't he walk that back a couple of days later?

I totally agree with you on the media.

I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Anyway he did let the genie out of the bottle. Once uncorked it can't be put back in.

Doesn't seem to help us whether we complain or not though.

Ricciuto said the rules should be changed so that similar instances to Saturday night were reviewed automatically given the massive consequences.
“It didn’t touch the post, it was a goal. For all that night and all yesterday and still now, it’s probably as angry as I’ve ever been in terms of football,” he told Triple M on Monday.
“How the hell the umpire didn’t call for a review is inexcusable. Yeah, he was in the right spot, but it’s such an important moment in the game. If you have any doubt at all you call for a review.
“He stuffed up … simply not reviewing it. “The four field umpires could have got involved. They had five seconds before the Swans brought the ball back in.
“Once that ball comes back into play the umpires can’t call for a review. That’s mistake two.“Should the AFL go back and look at the rules, change it so umpires can review even if the ball’s brought back in. I think so.“I think it should be an automatic review for close points.”

Meanwhile SA radio host Stephen Rowe went utterly mad in response to the incident. “No! No! No! I’m not accepting that! Don’t tell me to calm down in the studio!” he screamed on FiveAA.“That’s cheating! That is cheating! That is robbed and cheated, that is a clear goal, why did they not go upstairs?!”

But he had no doubt, that's why he didn't call for a review.

The umpire made an error in human judgement not in process, it happens every game.

We were penalised several goals advantage in the Freo game, we will never get those back.

We last won a free kick count in Round 13 against the Bulldogs of all teams and even that was 20-19.

We've lost free kick counts to Hawthorn, Suns and Giants, teams we've kicked off the oval.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back