Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking to a bloke, who said his work mates next door neighbor is an umpire who umpires in the VAFA .. he did tell me his name but I forgot it now... Anyway he was saying that umpires have an annual presentation dinner, I was thinking to myself... what the hell do umpires have a presentation dinner for ?? What do they award themselves with ? Best & fairest of running backwards, or most improved holding the ball signal..? Its just odd real odd. Strange lot these umps..

Anyway good luck to them and I hope the night (whenever it is) is a grear nighr for them.. but man what a strange lot they are.

I was talking to a bloke, who said his work mates next door neighbor is an umpire who umpires in the VAFA .. he did tell me his name but I forgot it now... Anyway he was saying that umpires have an annual presentation dinner, I was thinking to myself... what the hell do umpires have a presentation dinner for ?? What do they award themselves with ? Best & fairest of running backwards, or most improved holding the ball signal..? Its just odd real odd. Strange lot these umps..

Anyway good luck to them and I hope the night (whenever it is) is a grear nighr for them.. but man what a strange lot they are.
Gold medal goes to... The Army

Umpires friend.

Strange lot?? What??
The game would be great without them wouldn't it?
Respect please. Particularly in this thread.
Peanut.

Strange lot?? What??
The game would be great without them wouldn't it?
Respect please. Particularly in this thread.
Peanut.
You miss understand me, I am not being disrespectful at all. I am just curious as to how such a night would work ? Is it a big night or just a little gathering down at the Elsternwick pub?

We cant have a sport without them this is true & overall our umps in the VAFA are pretty good. Though a few of them have MASSIVE Ego problems, but hey every footy club has its share of idiots so I suppose umps are no different...

I hope this "presentation night" goes well for them & if anyone can explain to me how it works id be happy to listen.

Good luck to all clubs this weekend, here's hoping my lot get up (playing the top team this week so we will get to see how good we actually are) anyway...

Cheers...

How goods footy !

You miss understand me, I am not being disrespectful at all. I am just curious as to how such a night would work ? Is it a big night or just a little gathering down at the Elsternwick pub?

Yeah right. "Best & fairest of running backwards, or most improved holding the ball signal..?" For the Love Of the Game.

There is a little gathering down at the Elsternwick pub the night the grand final appointments are read out.

The big night is held in August in the members dining room at the MCG.

Anybody walking away with a medallion, trophy or award can be proud of the hundreds of hours of sheer hard graft and dedication needed to achieve it. Just like any club, except with a lot more numbers and very stiff competition.

Yeah right. "Best & fairest of running backwards, or most improved holding the ball signal..?" For the Love Of the Game.

There is a little gathering down at the Elsternwick pub the night the grand final appointments are read out.

The big night is held in August in the members dining room at the MCG.

Anybody walking away with a medallion, trophy or award can be proud of the hundreds of hours of sheer hard graft and dedication needed to achieve it. Just like any club, except with a lot more numbers and very stiff competition.
Thanks OTP, im glad they recognize the ones that work hard and perform. Good on them.

Tell me OTP you say "just like a footy club" well at a footy club, you have strong years and good years and even some rubbish years. One year getting a game in the 1s is an amazing effort and other years even my long since past grandmother would get a game in the seniors.. So tell me OTP how does this years list of umps stack up ??

One year getting a game in the 1s is an amazing effort and other years even my long since past grandmother would get a game in the seniors.. So tell me OTP how does this years list of umps stack up ??

Can't say, I'm no longer running. But a good indicator of form is to look at the grand final appointments from year to year. You cannot afford to have an off year - or even an off game, the competition is that tight.

Has been an integral part of the calendar for years.

There are the awards, life membership and 10 year service recognition and so on. Many club representatives attend the dinner..and the best club in terms of looking after umpires is recognised with their own award.

Guest speaker this year is Brad Hodge no less.

Thanks OTP, im glad they recognize the ones that work hard and perform. Good on them.

Tell me OTP you say "just like a footy club" well at a footy club, you have strong years and good years and even some rubbish years. One year getting a game in the 1s is an amazing effort and other years even my long since past grandmother would get a game in the seniors.. So tell me OTP how does this years list of umps stack up ??

It's incredibly tight. Anyone currently in Premier would get senior grand finals, plus the better umpires in Premier B.

This year and going forward will be different with the Women's appointments thrown into the mix. but, with 83 goal umpires as it now stands, there will still a number who who will miss out.

Congratulations to Anthony Simpson on his 500th game tomorrow.

The former A Grade and representative goal umpire made the move to field umpiring some years ago and has been a consistent performer in the D Sections, with his 500th game being at Aquinas in D4.
A lovely man is Simmo!

Has been an integral part of the calendar for years.

There are the awards, life membership and 10 year service recognition and so on. Many club representatives attend the dinner..and the best club in terms of looking after umpires is recognised with their own award.

Guest speaker this year is Brad Hodge no less.
Brad Hodge would be charging

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous! I was in Benny's and Neville Nash's earholes in March as soon as I heard it was on in August. Obviously there's no interest and initiative to find these things out for themselves these days.
That's why it's time to go and find a younger modern, energetic person to run the show.

Ridiculous! I was in Benny's and Neville Nash's earholes in March as soon as I heard it was on in August. Obviously there's no interest and initiative to find these things out for themselves these days.
OTP I normally love giving it to the perfect hair princesses & odd balls BUT I dont think its any business of the VAFA or definitely no business.of any joe blow in the street as to how many vafa umps go and umpire the "No one gives a rats cup" The Vafa have 4000 games each week and limited numbers, plus I doubt this "who gives a toss cup" pay any money, So why would anyone want to do it ?? If you feel so passionate about it pick up a whistle and borrow one of those strange fluro kits they run around in theae days and go do ot yourself...

"How goods footy"

OTP I normally love giving it to the perfect hair princesses & odd balls BUT I dont think its any business of the VAFA or definitely no
"How goods footy"
Maybe there isn't enough umpires available to

Be interesting to see how many of the group do the FIDA finals in a couple of weeks.

Im more interested in making sure these fluro odd balls do womens vafa matches.. lets look after and worry about our own backyard first !

Im more interested in making sure these fluro odd balls do womens vafa matches.. lets look after and worry about our own backyard first !

We have always provided umpires (field and goal) to the FIDA finals..and certainly grand final day at Central Reserve.

Got a feeling I will be doing one of the 4 grand finals on the day.

Its a fair point, I cant imagine what local umpire would want to umpire in a competition where the final is at the MCG or Etihad stadium...

Especially in the last quarter as the crowd streams in before an AFL final and you're running in front of 40,000 people. And when you look up and see yourself on the big screen during a replay. Can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back