Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Living in the west too, I used to go everywhere, basically I treated my umpire pay as petrol money + citylink + lunch. I got to spend the day in the fresh air and watch good footy from the best seat in the house. Wouldn't do it to make a living.
Aren't you supposed to be watching the ball rather than the game?:)

Let's not forget all those after matches when you got to meet the cream of V.A.F.A footy over a convivial. What more could a person want from their Saturday's?

Best on-field and off-field whistle blower was Macca. Sooo wish more of today's umps were like him.

Aren't you supposed to be watching the ball rather than the game?:)

Let's not forget all those after matches when you got to meet the cream of V.A.F.A footy over a convivial. What more could a person want from their Saturday's?

Best on-field and off-field whistle blower was Macca. Sooo wish more of today's umps were like him.
Still would be , saw he did D4 last week. It's common sense with a good attitude.

who are the best umpires at the VAFA in the opinion of the posters on here?

I watch the odd game here and there, I know of Daniel Silfo being one of the best.

who are the best umpires at the VAFA in the opinion of the posters on here?

I watch the odd game here and there, I know of Daniel Silfo being one of the best.
Absolutely Dan Silfo is up there. I go to VAFAUA webpage every week (it's format of appointments are much better there) and hope that he is officiating our match. His attention to detail is first class

An ump my lot had on the weekend just gone was telling me the Umpiring department has a bloke who was a AIS scholarship holder and that he is the best umpire to come to the VAFA.. ever... I just forget his name... anyone got an idea if this is true or was I told false info ???

Do they even do AIS scholarship for umps.. ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the umpiring selection committee are avid readers of this thread! Early word has it that both of the VAFA's two most elite umpires, Daniel Silfo and Haydn O'Connor will be both officiating together on Saturday for the MOTR at Toorak Park!

i think it is umpire appreciation week this week.

it is a tough caper, so good on them.
Yeah I bet it is a hard gig ... BUT umpire appreciation week !!!! Give me a spell, I reckon in the VAFA us clubs look after them pretty well... Umpire appreciation week... Here is a tip umps, Do your job and stop trying to make it all about you !!!!!

Yeah I bet it is a hard gig ... BUT umpire appreciation week !!!! Give me a spell, I reckon in the VAFA us clubs look after them pretty well... Umpire appreciation week... Here is a tip umps, Do your job and stop trying to make it all about you !!!!!
There are some flogs out there. Agree on that.
A quick Q though. How many games have you umpired?

There are some flogs out there. Agree on that.
A quick Q though. How many games have you umpired?
Other than the odd 2s game at my club.. zero.. and I found it pretty easy, Doing senior footy would be a walk in the park I reckon

Have just got my hands on the record for tomorrow ... and we have a ump of all things on the cover.. really 1000 plus players and 1000s of volunteers and we find some little fluro green bloke to pop on the cover of our record.. really ?? I bet that kid is a typical Gen Y type.. more interested in his hair and looks than interested in his performance ... just look at his perfect hair when you get a record tomorrow.. anyway here is hoping my lot get a win tomorrow, looks an easy game on paper but these are the ones that worry old supporters like me...

Have just got my hands on the record for tomorrow ... and we have a ump of all things on the cover.. really 1000 plus players and 1000s of volunteers and we find some little fluro green bloke to pop on the cover of our record.. really ?? I bet that kid is a typical Gen Y type.. more interested in his hair and looks than interested in his performance ... just look at his perfect hair when you get a record tomorrow.. anyway here is hoping my lot get a win tomorrow, looks an easy game on paper but these are the ones that worry old supporters like me...
Wow! Have a bad experience with a whistle blower you can't let go of TA?

Love 'em or not they are fairly central to having a competition. Just a pity the numbers aren't greater so a full complement is available for every section.

Given the competition has an umpires appreciation round and has done done over the last 7 years, seems an unusual complaint. And credit for this round needs to go to Bill Deller, the man running Williamstown CYMS.

Given the competition has an umpires appreciation round and has done done over the last 7 years, seems an unusual complaint. And credit for this round needs to go to Bill Deller, the man running Williamstown CYMS.
While I appreciate the work Mr Deller has done for football both umpiring and for Willy & I understand it was umpire "token" appreciation week last Rd. The real heros of the VAFA are the people who never get heard from or even thanked and most certainly never listened too and thats the volunteers, the type of people who give up a friday evening to set up a clubs home rooms for a luncheon on the Saturday & the type of people who do it not for financial return but because they understand that doing so helps provide young people with a football club that they can grow up in, without the volunteers who are NOT big names or Ex VFL umpires... this comp would not function. So can we stop with the "oh thank god for umpires" dribble... we get it, we need them, we already look after them well enough.. a token round does nothing... lets start being thankful and respectful to the volunteers and the players for it is them that the comp belong too... NOT the umps...

Any news on who's umpiring the Premier Collegians v St.Kevins game?

Whoever is must be flying in the early part of the season, in all disciplines. Could be preview of who'll be in the mix for back end of the season and finals!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whoever is must be flying in the early part of the season, in all disciplines. Could be preview of who'll be in the mix for back end of the season and finals!

How would you know, the overlords wont publish the umps names until midnight Friday. BUT good luck to whoever they are at the match of the Millennium. I normally give the umps a spray on here but last weekend my lots game was a one sided fizzer so I popped down to the T.H King and I must say the three fluro blokes did a fine job at that game, especially the the fluro man who calmly delt with the dogs that went on the ground. If only my lot could get that standard of umpiring every week maybe I wouldn't be so sour towards our fluro friends

Good luck to all clubs this weekend, How goods footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back