Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

See Andrew Carrazzo has cracked his first Premier game.
We had him in Round 3 and possible Round 1 but I can't remember. Round 3 he was superb. Barely noticed him throughout the game which, in most cases, is exactly what you want from an ump.

Heard him interviewed a few weeks back. Remember him saying he had to discard so much from his playing days. Like having been trained to always run towards the ball which is contrary to what is required during play while umpiring.

Good to see a former Geelong player take on the role.

Okay Blues – so he played a bit for you too.;)

Now that's quality Max!

Well done to the following umpires on getting the gig for tomorrow's rep game:

Field: Haydn O'Connor, George Wood
Boundary: Sam Beer, James Hackett-Smith, Adrian Pretorius
Goal: Michael Driver, Tom Moloney

Having umpired a rep game it truly is an achievement to get even just one so well done to all of the above.

Another big milestone this week...what is it with goal umpires and big milestones?

This time it's Dom Napoli.

Yes the man who has singlehandedly turned the Umpires Trivia Night into a family gathering will do his 500th game tomorrow out at the Snakepit as the Snowdogs host OM's.

Some have said that the Snakepit is like a second home to him (including himself at times) so it should be no surprise he chose to go there.

Dom has umpired senior footy for the old VFA, the AFL and the VAFA for 20 years.

On a personal note he really took me under his wing when I first started.

Congrats Dom it's well deserved.

Umpires Dinner was held last night and here are the award winners:

Life Membership - Santo Caruso and Simon Stokes
Golden Whistle - Logan Webster
Bob Dunstan Award - Owen Hinson
Andy Carrick Award - Chris Lonergan
Best First Year Umpire - James Bett
Young Achiever - Adrian Pretorius
Most Improved Field - Shaun Bourke
Most Improved Boundary - James Hackett-Smith
Most improved Goal - Jasmina Lieu
Quality Assurance - Collegians

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm coming back..but in a limited capacity.

My inability to train probably puts me out of the running for the top 30 so I'll act as a mentor in the lower grades..ahppily.

That is unless the boss has other ideas like he did in 2015!

Well that's changing.

Should be able to get a full season in.

And be a goal umpire development coach at Westbourne to boot.

Well that's changing.

Should be able to get a full season in.

And be a goal umpire development coach at Westbourne to boot.

Seeing you're coaching Paz, perhaps you could offer to bring the other old timer up to speed just in case he makes good on the threat hint he too might return to waving the calico's.;)

OTP - directing this at you. Wanna come back and give me a hand up at a very familiar haunt of yours on Sayers Road?

As to you AM...the story he will be like me and return..for another 1 year stint.

Actually I'm genuinely excited about the year to come, both as an umpire and as a coach. Maybe need a new challenge!

Rumours are the Field Umpires group is ridiculously strong this season; heard from a mate of mine that there is at least 6 or 7 Senior Field Umpires who have had either TAC Cup, VFL Reserves or VFL experience, along with the return of a number of ex-Premier GF Umpires to the list. The Senior List of 20 or so will bat very deep.

Good for both the Umpires & the footy.

The following umpires have graduated to the ranks of the VFL, creating opportunities for others:

Sam Levin (Development - Field)
George Wood (Development - Field)
Sam Beer (Development - Boundary)
Adrian Pretorius (Development - Boundary)
Michael Driver (Development - Goal)
Antonio Valente (Development - Goal)

Whilst Cameron Dore (Field) and Patrick Dwyer (Goal) are on the respective VFL senior Lists.

Once again, the VAFA is proving to be a great breeding ground for umpires.

My understanding is the vast majority of the quite high affiliation fees go to the umpiring fraternity. It's therefore not unreasonable for affiliated clubs to expect 2 fieldies; 2 boundaries; 2 goalies at every senior match - of a reasonable standard too. Perhaps a refund clause could be included in future agreements for failure to do so. It's just not good enough.

Possibly one of the first order items for the incoming CEO to address. His/her identity can't be that far off being made public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back