Under 17s Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor form by both coach and club. Club's JDO shoulda been onto it by half time.

Only just said it to a parent at work who mentioned the behaviour of an U/11 coach yesty .... worst thing about Junior Sport at times is
(1.) parents, and (2.) wrongly motivated coaches. Let's be honest if we're doing it to whack an underage premiership photo on the mantle at home then we're in it for the wrong reasons.

It doesn't matter where we coach/mentor .... but it 100% matters as to why we coach/mentor our youngsters.

Doona - you are 100% correct and the world of junior sport would be a much better place if what you say is in fact what happens. But unfortunately that is not the case, and it is nowhere near it.
Div 1 GF's yesterday, the determination of coaches & parents(kids probably 3rd in that line), to "stick it up Smore" and the comments coming out of Abers supporters were not fit for Junior sport.. These same Parents that drive across multiple suburbs so their kids can play at a"successful club" do not care about "participation", those who want to "participate" can play in the lower Divisions. They do not want the coach to risk a win especially in a GF, so every player plays the same amount of game time.. They are happy to sacrifice a kid(easier if it's not yours) if it means a GF win.

Doona - you are 100% correct and the world of junior sport would be a much better place if what you say is in fact what happens. But unfortunately that is not the case, and it is nowhere near it.
Div 1 GF's yesterday, the determination of coaches & parents(kids probably 3rd in that line), to "stick it up Smore" and the comments coming out of Abers supporters were not fit for Junior sport.. These same Parents that drive across multiple suburbs so their kids can play at a"successful club" do not care about "participation", those who want to "participate" can play in the lower Divisions. They do not want the coach to risk a win especially in a GF, so every player plays the same amount of game time.. They are happy to sacrifice a kid(easier if it's not yours) if it means a GF win.
I agree in parts
11’s, 13’s and maybe 2nd and 3rd teams in 15’s & 17’s I agree that players should get equally amount of time during finals.
But I believe that 15’s & 17’s in Divy 1 & 2 I believe that the coach should do whatever they can to win a premiership during the finals. Cause I’m sure the kid that plays 5-6 mins in a game would still be happy as Larry at winning a flag. Plus these are the elite junior kids and try to impress the recruiters in the crowd that are watching. Just face it AFL clubs start watching kids from under 15 level.

They do not want the coach to risk a win especially in a GF, so every player plays the same amount of game time.. They are happy to sacrifice a kid(easier if it's not yours) if it means a GF win.

I did exactly that 2 years ago at the expense of a potential win, did I upset parents "Probably" did I care "No" ... was I delighted that every one of those 22 lads played football again the following year "absolutely"

Sometimes a successful junior program can be judged by the amount of kids that actually re-register the following year, but hey I spose if Im driving past mustliple footy ovals for my kid to play at a "good" club with massive fee's to help fund the senior club but more importantly impress an AFL recruiter that wasn't at the TAC CUp Triple header yesty then I guess you're spot on.

Again I say it isn't about where we do it .... but more so why?

That club has the same attitude in the lower ages and lower divisions and it’s a disgrace. That club you mentioned needs to have a good hard look at themselves and what they encourage. It starts at the top as there match day officials including coach, runner etc are setting bad examples and the parents just follow there lead.

I agree in parts
11’s, 13’s and maybe 2nd and 3rd teams in 15’s & 17’s I agree that players should get equally amount of time during finals.
But I believe that 15’s & 17’s in Divy 1 & 2 I believe that the coach should do whatever they can to win a premiership during the finals. Cause I’m sure the kid that plays 5-6 mins in a game would still be happy as Larry at winning a flag. Plus these are the elite junior kids and try to impress the recruiters in the crowd that are watching. Just face it AFL clubs start watching kids from under 15 level.

I don’t agree with the 5-6 mins in 15s and 17s. I think it should be 5-6mins a quarter at least. We need to back each and every one of our players... and if we don’t, we have let them down. It’s old school to think a player can sit on the bench the whole game and just be happy for their side. In the AFL, when a side ends up with no bench, a lot of the time it ends up costing that side a win. Why should it be any different to junior footy? We need to rotate to keep fresh legs. And if you say a kids not up to it... then as a coach you haven’t developed them enough throughout the year to back them when it matters.

Plus these are the elite junior kids and try to impress the recruiters in the crowd that are watching. Just face it AFL clubs start watching kids from under 15 level.

How is "elite" actually defined at 14/15yo?

I could be wrong, but these kids or parents who you say "try to impress" doesn't paint a picture of "TEAM FIRST" or genuine "above talent" attitude towards the Team does it?
Perhaps these same AFL Clubs you speak of, take note of who's parents carry one, who's parents grab their Little Johny's at the huddles showing disrespect to coaches, which kids try to impress and that's all before they see whether or not he/she can ...
(1.) win their own ball (2.) approach each and every contest with a Team First attitude and (3.) works harder for the team when he/she don't have the ball than when he/she actually has it.
All that even before they work out whether the kick/mark/handball stuff is above standard, bloody tough gig that who'd wanna cast an eye over talented (or not) young kids.

Guess that's why parents are trying to manufacture outcomes hey #stilldontgetit :rolleyes::huh:

Last edited:
I don’t agree with the 5-6 mins in 15s and 17s. I think it should be 5-6mins a quarter at least. We need to back each and every one of our players... and if we don’t, we have let them down. It’s old school to think a player can sit on the bench the whole game and just be happy for their side. In the AFL, when a side ends up with no bench, a lot of the time it ends up costing that side a win. Why should it be any different to junior footy? We need to rotate to keep fresh legs. And if you say a kids not up to it... then as a coach you haven’t developed them enough throughout the year to back them when it matters.
You are certifiably delusional...

Hardly delusional in these thoughts, people interested in genuine development over success look at junior sport differently to those driven by medals, cups and manufactured outcomes for Little Johny etc.

If you think I’m delusional because every player should have at least 5-6mins game time per quarter then you should be nowhere near junior footy.

The league needs to be accountable as well.

Just look at some results and you can see it’s very biased.

I understand div1 results could be blow outs but how do teams in the lower divisions go through undefeated (post grading games) and win the GF easy. Why didn’t the league put them up a division as all teams should have some chance. It’s a big joke.,

If you think I’m delusional because every player should have at least 5-6mins game time per quarter then you should be nowhere near junior footy.
I agree with you in theory but I am a realist and know that will never happen.. So wake up my friend and deal with what is actually going on and leave your pie in the sky thoughts for some hippy thread that you can start up and continue to raise things that will never eventuate.

It will never happen if parents or committee's continue to allow it to continue.

"A standard we walk past is a standard we accept."

If you agree Survey, maybe you could be the one to start driving change at your junior club, make it all emcompassing for kids and parents and teach the apparent "elite" kids that they too aren't above rotating or playing in all positions on the ground.
Assuring them there are far more important things in life than underage footy flags helps too.

Imagine the 15/16yo kid who couldn't kick or mark correctly in February hitting the scorebaord in a grand final ... surely that is just as proud a moment for a mentor and jsutification of a true development environment.
Especially for a parent who paid equal fee's to participate, I'm sure they would be extremely thankful to that said mentor who took the time to work with their child as opposed to the selfish win at all costs coaches prior?

As for you and your "hippy thread" passionateman, I can't believe underage football is being discussed in such a manner.
Can we return to focussing on winning at all costs please, poaching kids to our clubs and everything that junior football is truly about ha ha :D:p:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Well done to the Aberfeldie boys fantastic achievement in taking out the 2 premierships in the 17 age group and the second side was playing in 2 finals.
They have the right formula that continues to breed success at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to the Aberfeldie boys fantastic achievement in taking out the 2 premierships in the 17 age group and the second side was playing in 2 finals.
:think:

I’m not sure it’s formula however having JM as a coach would greatly help any club. How many other sides have coach with those credentials?

I’m not sure it’s formula however having JM as a coach would greatly help any club. How many other sides have coach with those credentials?
JM must be joe Mesiti who coached the Under 15s to a flag he had a great duel vs arch rivals strathmore coached by Scott West great for both clubs to have ex AFL players. As for 17s coaches last year Brent Taylor whom is the current Cannons coach had a major role in the success Aberfeldie had over the last 2 years winning 5/6 premierships over the last 2 seasons he handed the reins over this year to the current premiership coaches in Rocci and Duggan

JM must be joe Mesiti who coached the Under 15s to a flag he had a great duel vs arch rivals strathmore coached by Scott West great for both clubs to have ex AFL players. As for 17s coaches last year Brent Taylor whom is the current Cannons coach had a major role in the success Aberfeldie had over the last 2 years winning 5/6 premierships over the last 2 seasons he handed the reins over this year to the current premiership coaches in Rocci and Duggan
I agree a good coach also attracts good players. It is interesting to know that when Geoff Maddern was in charge of EDS under 16's sides, people on here was saying he was cherry picking and in some cases paying players to play for him.

His performance in the 2nd semi final was disgraceful, especially the swearing at his players.

These coaches are gifted the best teams, not hard to make a few moves when you have a quality 22 players to do it with..
Brent Taylor - I don't know him so don't have an opinion on him, sounds like a ripper bloke, but please enlighten us with some facts on exactly what he did that other coaches didn't do?
I am interested to know his point of difference to every other coach from the u/17's that year or years previously that makes you say he had a "major role" in their success.

These coaches are gifted the best teams, not hard to make a few moves when you have a quality 22 players to do it with..
Brent Taylor - I don't know him so don't have an opinion on him, sounds like a ripper bloke, but please enlighten us with some facts on exactly what he did that other coaches didn't do?
I am interested to know his point of difference to every other coach from the u/17's that year or years previously that makes you say he had a "major role" in their success.

Coaching a junior (u/15,u/17,u/19) premiership outside Keilor, Strathmore and predominantly Aberfeldie is no great achievement let’s be honest.
Taking nothing away for guys that have done that in Misiti or B.Taylor etc. but if you are going to pump up someones tyres from junior ranks I’d be looking at coaches that can achieve success from a group of players not as deep in talent as those clubs. Developing junior players into good senior players is far more relevant in junior coaching than premierships in my opinion.
Coaches and parents going mad at junior finals like it’s life and death and trying to gain some sort of gratitude via thier children is a pet hate of mine.

Coaching a junior (u/15,u/17,u/19) premiership outside Keilor, Strathmore and predominantly Aberfeldie is no great achievement let’s be honest.
Taking nothing away for guys that have done that in Misiti or B.Taylor etc. but if you are going to pump up someones tyres from junior ranks I’d be looking at coaches that can achieve success from a group of players not as deep in talent as those clubs. Developing junior players into good senior players is far more relevant in junior coaching than premierships in my opinion.
Coaches and parents going mad at junior finals like it’s life and death and trying to gain some sort of gratitude via thier children is a pet hate of mine.
100% accurate :thumbsu:

Yes great post and I agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back