Underrated Bands and Singers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dandy Warhols seem underrated on Bigfooty, don't see them get much of a mention.

They became pretty lacklustre after 'Thirteen Tales...' IMO. One of those bands that seemed to disappear up their own arse a bit, believing their own hype.

Cold War Kids

I don't understand why this band isn't way bigger than they are.

good call

moving pictures has to be in my top 10 of albums of all time

i think Opeth can be underated, may be due to the fact that death/progressive metal has never been mainstream

Opeth have been stepping away from the death metal and movie more towards progressive of late.
Its a shame as it gave the band a great dynamic and Michael Akerfeldt has a great vocal range.

Devin Townsend
Alter Bridge
Anathema
The Chariot
EDIT: Kansas

I've added Kansas as well. Their debut album is one of my favourite albums. Sure they had a couple mainstream hits that made them popular but very few would appreciate their progressive side. Songs like Apercu, Journey from Mariabronn, Song for America, Magnum Opus Belexes, The Pinnacle etc are all amazing.

Like Rush I think they were pretty influential to the progressive bands of today but don't receive nearly the recognition they deserve.

Progressive music in general is HIGHLY underrated in my opinion. There are so many progressive rock/metal bands I could list here that I think deserve much more exposure!

It is but it could never feature in the mainstream or on radio as majority of quality prog songs exceed 10 minutes in playing time.

I think Alter Bridge is underrated in Australia. Great band who have put out three solid albums.

Also Blue Oyster Cult. I love their stuff but you never hear them up there with the other great bands of the 70's and 80's.

Did you see their show in Melbourne last year?
Hoodoo Gurus invited them to partake in their music festival.
They did a full 3 hour set at the Prince Bandroom in St.Kilda.
I filmed Godzilla during their show.

I enjoyed the Recovery flashback on Rage. Was a great way to kick off GF day actually, a real blast from the past. I wonder what Dylan is up to these days, he seems to pop up with a TV appearance every 3-4 years.

The Cold War Kids singles from their debut form part of the soundtrack to my 06/07 post high school summer. I liked them, although not enough to buy an album or anything.

I enjoyed the Recovery flashback on Rage. Was a great way to kick off GF day actually, a real blast from the past. I wonder what Dylan is up to these days, he seems to pop up with a TV appearance every 3-4 years.

According to my Mum, he does breakfast radio on Nova in Adelaide now. Regularly regales listeners with humourous stories about fatherhood and his young daughter apparently.

The Cold War Kids singles from their debut form part of the soundtrack to my 06/07 post high school summer. I liked them, although not enough to buy an album or anything.

Dylan is lovin the Power

What ever happened to this band?

They were big in the mid 2000s then dropped off the face of the earth.

I bought their album Addicted Romantic back in the day so they can't have been too bad.

The lead singer Nathan Hudson was quite a character.

Last edited:

I bought their album Addicted Romantic back in the day so they can't have been too bad.

I recall seeing them live a few times around 2006/2007 (a headlining gig of theirs might have been the first live show I ever went to, actually). You're right, they seemed to just disappear not long after that.

There's a fair few similar Aussie indie rock bands from that era that seemed to be gigging around a fair bit in that time, and then just disappeared. For example, does anyone recall a band call Pharoahs? I think they were from Adelaide, I'm not sure. Anyway, I thought they were quality (saw them a few times in random support slots), but they never seemed to make that step to radio (this was a bit before every man and his dog became 'Unearthed' by Triple J, and that concept was still an actual competition, instead of a digital radio station), and then never really heard of them again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall seeing them live a few times around 2006/2007 (a headlining gig of theirs might have been the first live show I ever went to, actually). You're right, they seemed to just disappear not long after that.

There's a fair few similar Aussie indie rock bands from that era that seemed to be gigging around a fair bit in that time, and then just disappeared. For example, does anyone recall a band call Pharoahs? I think they were from Adelaide, I'm not sure. Anyway, I thought they were quality (saw them a few times in random support slots), but they never seemed to make that step to radio (this was a bit before every man and his dog became 'Unearthed' by Triple J, and that concept was still an actual competition, instead of a digital radio station), and then never really heard of them again.

Like End of Fashion.

The lead singer Justin Burford gives a scathing insight into Triple J and the Aussie music industry.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s-justin-burford/story-e6frfn09-1226814197805

They support bands when they're the next big thing but don't back them up after that which is why a lot of them fall by the wayside.

End of Fashion being pretty shithouse probably killed their chances more than a lack of Triple J airplay but it applies to a lot of better Aussie bands.

Opeth have been stepping away from the death metal and movie more towards progressive of late.
Its a shame as it gave the band a great dynamic and Michael Akerfeldt has a great vocal range.
Agreed. I always loved the juxtaposition in their songs (and throughout albums) between the heavy and soft stuff. They did both so well. Opeth are one of the few bands who could pull both off and not have one or the other sound cheesy or contrived.

As stupid as it may sound, I think that part of Faker's problem was that they were big on MySpace, but didn't make the cross to Facebook/Twitter. They had a massive audience for their first two albums, helped by Triple J and Rove Live, but they lost them by not keeping up.

They released an album at the end of 2011, which had a really solid single, but the rest was pretty average. I think they realised that they'd have trouble trying to sell it, so just gave it away for free. I saw them live around the same time, supporting Arctic Monkeys or The Wombats or someone like that at Festival Hall. They still had it, but their set up wasn't suited to Festy Hall at all so they sounded very thin.

This is that 2011 single

The lead singer Justin Burford gives a scathing insight into Triple J and the Aussie music industry.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s-justin-burford/story-e6frfn09-1226814197805

They support bands when they're the next big thing but don't back them up after that which is why a lot of them fall by the wayside.

End of Fashion being pretty shithouse probably killed their chances more than a lack of Triple J airplay but it applies to a lot of better Aussie bands.
I think a lot of what gets played on Triple J is just mediocre anyway and in the long-run they aren't likely to sustain success/prominence. A lot of the bands played on Triple J have a decent album, maybe two, but they're all pretty formulaic and generic and easily replaceable in the scheme of things. End of Fashion are a prime example - middle of the road pop-rock; lacking the catchiness of a Fall Out Boy/Green Day or any really distinct 'sound' like QOTSA or Arctic Monkeys.

As stupid as it may sound, I think that part of Faker's problem was that they were big on MySpace, but didn't make the cross to Facebook/Twitter. They had a massive audience for their first two albums, helped by Triple J and Rove Live, but they lost them by not keeping up.

Mention of bands and Rove Live reminded me of the "house band" for a period - After the Fall:

Basically sounded like a variation on Gyroscope.

Personally I think the problem was the singer. I believe to be a frontman you need to one of three things.

1. Good singer....he was extremely flat.
2. Good lyricist...seemed fairly bland.
3. Good performer.... From when I saw his band he looked very awkward.

There is far worse out there. I think they should be very grateful for their spotlight.

Just watching old episodes of Recovery on Rage right now, didn't realise what a good, tight, funky band Skunkhour were. Found them pretty bland and boring as a youngster, but hearing "Weightlessness" now, it's a bloody great track.
Dylan is lovin the Power

Ahhh I had a great few days and it was rounded off by coming home early, about 2am, on Saturday. Recovery was on the tele and we waxed lyrical about how all the kids on the surfing segments would be 35 and with families now. And how bad fashion was then and how decent and plain it is now. This Port video of Dylan Lewis is insane – he really is a relic of the 90s. The bad name, the shocking hair, the fashion sense stuck in a 1996/2001/2014 vortex/limbo. An ad to never get tats too. Amazing.

The lead singer is the only dude who looks young and trendy (of the time) enough to be in a band. The drummer and guitarist look like they're trying on wigs and their kid's clothes after they've come back from being denied to a Hugh Waters club night. The bassist looks like he should be rotating off the bench for a VAFA side. Aside from that, this band was rinsed on JTV. I can't tell you how formative Rage and, later more overtly and consciously, JTV was to me. As I'm sure it was to a lot of Australian kids when broadband wasn't everywhere and it was an easy way to get bands and make sure your ten minute download was a guaranteed banger.

I always liked this song and enjoyed seeing it, and so did everyone else, because it must've been played through Motorolas and Nokias all the time in year 8/9 and pummelled weekly on the tele. Must've stayed around in the charts for a while. It's not the greatest piece of instrumentation but the chorus is everything a 14-year old wants: trickling, bubbly synths and four-to-the-floor drums and gormless vocals from someone suffering mild-culture cringe. Accessible but not by Kings of Leon or Madonna. All you want.

Does anyone else remember the other tunes frequently churned out back then? These things were apparently rinsed in the aforementioned Hugh Waters' club nights of a 2009-era Melbourne. In retrospect, stuff like this and Cut Copy was full of nice, syrupy synths and had a real melancholy to it – that double-sided melancholy where you're kind of happy you're feeling so aware of your introspection. Chooooons. I swear Van She toured with every single cool band I wanted to see back in those days too, but of course, due to age and geography, never got to. Hearing Bloc Party over the phone from the Belvoir, as the first girl who made me realise how much I dug chicks, who I embarrassingly met over Myspace through mutual friends and luck in a real sign of the times, was a quite profound moment. I don't think I will ever feel as far away, out of it, lonely, and happy and a part of something all at the same time again. At least not until the next time I'm sitting on a club sofa while the girl I pulled goes off with some other bloke...

Not played on JTV for obvious reasons, but this thing too. The Teenagers should've stayed a one album band. They only had two good songs anyway

broken social scene. people don't talk about 'you forgot it in people' with the other great albums of the early 2k's but i reckon it's as good as any. they're whole discography is sweet and they kept updating over those albums. cool band, rly cool band.
Sweet is the word alright. I always forget to listen to them. So romantic

The Models. Especially their earlier 'new wave' stuff when they were more Sean Kelly's band.
On, Local and/or General, Happy Birthday IBM, Two Cabs To The Toucan are all classics.
I go to uni with the son of the singer. He was talking about his old band one day in class and mentioned they'd been playing in the US. Googled them to find out his old man had killed himself. Pretty sad stuff.

Ahhh I had a great few days and it was rounded off by coming home early, about 2am, on Saturday. Recovery was on the tele and we waxed lyrical about how all the kids on the surfing segments would be 35 and with families now. And how bad fashion was then and how decent and plain it is now. This Port video of Dylan Lewis is insane – he really is a relic of the 90s. The bad name, the shocking hair, the fashion sense stuck in a 1996/2001/2014 vortex/limbo. An ad to never get tats too. Amazing.

The lead singer is the only dude who looks young and trendy (of the time) enough to be in a band. The drummer and guitarist look like they're trying on wigs and their kid's clothes after they've come back from being denied to a Hugh Waters club night. The bassist looks like he should be rotating off the bench for a VAFA side. Aside from that, this band was rinsed on JTV. I can't tell you how formative Rage and, later more overtly and consciously, JTV was to me. As I'm sure it was to a lot of Australian kids when broadband wasn't everywhere and it was an easy way to get bands and make sure your ten minute download was a guaranteed banger.

I always liked this song and enjoyed seeing it, and so did everyone else, because it must've been played through Motorolas and Nokias all the time in year 8/9 and pummelled weekly on the tele. Must've stayed around in the charts for a while. It's not the greatest piece of instrumentation but the chorus is everything a 14-year old wants: trickling, bubbly synths and four-to-the-floor drums and gormless vocals from someone suffering mild-culture cringe. Accessible but not by Kings of Leon or Madonna. All you want.

Does anyone else remember the other tunes frequently churned out back then? These things were apparently rinsed in the aforementioned Hugh Waters' club nights of a 2009-era Melbourne. In retrospect, stuff like this and Cut Copy was full of nice, syrupy synths and had a real melancholy to it – that double-sided melancholy where you're kind of happy you're feeling so aware of your introspection. Chooooons. I swear Van She toured with every single cool band I wanted to see back in those days too, but of course, due to age and geography, never got to. Hearing Bloc Party over the phone from the Belvoir, as the first girl who made me realise how much I dug chicks, who I embarrassingly met over Myspace through mutual friends and luck in a real sign of the times, was a quite profound moment. I don't think I will ever feel as far away, out of it, lonely, and happy and a part of something all at the same time again. At least not until the next time I'm sitting on a club sofa while the girl I pulled goes off with some other bloke...

Not played on JTV for obvious reasons, but this thing too. The Teenagers should've stayed a one album band. They only had two good songs anyway

Lol, suddenly nostalgia'd hard for that time.

And yes, Van She were everywhere! I'm pretty sure they were playing support at the Faker gig that I went to back in '06. I think the line-up was Faker, Van She, The Valentinos (later known as Lost Valentinos) and some local band called My Sister the Cop (who in retrospect sounded like Primitive Calculators).

Saw a lot of gigs like that around that time. Probably could have taken or left most of the bands TBH, more about girls I was with or might see there if I went with mates.

Last edited:
Did you see their show in Melbourne last year?
Hoodoo Gurus invited them to partake in their music festival.
They did a full 3 hour set at the Prince Bandroom in St.Kilda.
I filmed Godzilla during their show.

Great stuff. I guess I was the only person at the 2014 Grand Final in a Blue Oyster Cult t-shirt. Vitally important band for so many genres.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back