Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL needs to bring in an automatic club fold rule. If you exceed a 60/70 year drought you need to merge with another club or dissolve. I’m looking at you St Kilda. It’s just a graveyard for players careers at this point.

Andrew Brayshaw is not an elite player.

WAFL/SANFL/VFL should shut up shop if they cant make a profit

More worthy charitable causes in the world then these secondary competitions.

They can either figure it out themselves or die. Not up to AFL members to pay for them to exist

Weird take, even if you don’t see the value of those leagues as their own competitions there still an important feeder of talent to the AFL.

I can't stand Dunstall as a commentator.

He's just awful.

Unbelievably bias. He clearly has his favourites and just constantly rides his own narrative all day.

Patronising.

States the obvious constantly.

Tows the AFL line unshamably.

Woeful.
He's much better on radio then foxtel. Foxtel he has to do his 'bounce' shtick

I can't stand Dunstall as a commentator.

He's just awful.

Unbelievably bias. He clearly has his favourites and just constantly rides his own narrative all day.

Patronising.

States the obvious constantly.

Tows the AFL line unshamably.

Woeful.
Unpopular opinion? More than likely, you've done well grasshopper.

He's much better than most of the duffers that get a gig commentating. My opinion only of course ;)

Hamish Brayshaw using Maynard as an example of tribunal inconsistency is crap, they always let players off for accidental concussions.

The Lions player who knocked out Murphy in the GF wasn’t even cited.

They only changed the rules after all the sooking.

If he wanted to get some cut through, he should have used Kozzie Pickett as an example. He regularly gets a slap on the wrist for deliberately trying to shirtfront players.

But he didn’t, because it was just emotional drivel.

Hopefully he has a spell now along with Schofield who is fast becoming #3 media turd behind McClure and Robbo.

Normalise bottom clubs pushing players to the pre-season draft.

Given how compromised the draft is, rebuilding is as hard as it’s ever been, and will only get worse with new teams coming in. The pre-season draft is now a valuable equalisation mechanism and clubs shouldn’t be shamed for using it.

Weird take, even if you don’t see the value of those leagues as their own competitions there still an important feeder of talent to the AFL.
Something else will replace them like AFL reserves, a better amateur competition which isnt run by spend happy old farts.

When something dies, if it needs replacing something will replace it.

This something may actually be financially well ran instead...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if this is unpopular or not, but to me the game feels too much the same now because of the AFL stifling new ideas with rule changes and suffocating any team who tries something new. I miss when there were genuine tactical revolutions that forced teams to adapt. Clarko's Cluster was a revolution in zone defense, then Malthouse's forward press with heavy rotations and a focus on the boundary changed the game and forced teams to try and defeat it via precision kicking. He then tried this at Carlton and failed miserably because it was figured out. Then we had the Bulldogs swarming the contest in 2016 which quick precise movement.

I guess footy is a pretty simple game at it's core, and there's only so much tactical innovation that can happen when theres 36 people that can all go anywhere on the ground. But it seems since the 6-6-6, stand, back to the 9 etc came in it seems teams more or less have the same key markers and indicators into what makes a successful team. Forward half turnover, kicking efficiency, stoppage's & transition. Obviously each team has a strength and weakness in these areas which they try to account for, but it feels like teams are more adapting to their players strengths and weaknesses rather than truly innovating.
Collingwood of the last 2 years probably feels like the team with an actual identity and style that they back in.

I might be completely off base and I am just a jaded observer who has fallen out of love with the game to an extent, but it's what I've noticed.

The AFL knows that it is possible to make a fixture that is commercially rewarding and fair for all clubs but sees that the money they pump into financially struggling sides is offset by a fixture that gets eyes on last years top 4.

The AFL would be much better off collectively if there was a way to bring North, Suns and GWS supporter bases to be able to bring in 27 - 35k at home games each week. The only way that would happen is people get their eyes on the teams.

To me it's not eyes on the top 4 as you say, it's the fact that no matter how badly they are travelling, Essendon and Collingwood will essentially play a free grand final every year with massive revenue and eyeballs.

This is alongside all the other "marquee games" that aren't based on performance like Anzac Eve, Kings Bday, Easter Monday, making it impossible for a club like St Kilda or North to ever get that kind of exposure and relevance. I do however understand the financial reality, the AFL needs to maximise it's revenue and Collingwood and Essendon will always be a bigger draw than Saints Vs Bulldogs on Anzac Day or Anzac eve (because of the situation this exact situation they developed and wanted)

AFL is the most rigged professional sporting comp in the world. Collingwood have played in Geelong 3 times since 1990, and Melbourne have done so 25 times. A team can finish 1st and have to play a team that finished 8th at their home ground. The fact that the term "soft draw" exists as basically admitting the AFL has gifted you an easy fixture is all that needs to be said.

Again, I'm not blind to the reality of AFL needing to maximise it's profits to support its expansion endeavours. Ideally at some stage there is a 20 team comp with with 20 rounds, 10 home games each so the AFL has no excuse for fixturing and the it can finally be as close to a fair comp as possible.

Hamish Brayshaw using Maynard as an example of tribunal inconsistency is crap, they always let players off for accidental concussions.

If he wanted to get some cut through, he should have used Kozzie Pickett as an example. He regularly gets a slap on the wrist for deliberately trying to shirtfront players.

Hopefully he has a spell now along with Schofield who is fast becoming #3 media turd behind McClure and Robbo.
What you have just said has highlighted his point exactly. The inconsistency is everywhere.

But I know why mentioning the Maynard incident might get some Collingwood supporters upset.

Your post shows you agree with Hamish. Plus he said he agrees that technically was a footy act and not suspension.

Said it before say it again, Darcy Moore is now the most self righteous windy carnt in footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back