Opinion Unpopular opinion about your own club

Remove this Banner Ad

I support Richmond and I don't honestly believe Dustin Martin is the GOAT.
I actually don't think Martin is the GOAT.
He's definitely a extremely good player and I'm grateful for what his done for the Tiges and that I got to see flags because of it but I don't think he is the Greatest player of all Footy Players.

I don't think it's possible to name one absolute GOAT. Ablett Jnr might be the closest but still wouldn't say he is the definitive greatest player ever.

As badly as we got screwed over in 2004 having to play a home prelim at the MCG, the club were also stupid not having the team setting up camp in Melbourne that week instead of flying up again after the prelim then back down.

Shits me that our club b & f is named after Kevin Sheedy. Hardly won any games under him in what was only a two year tenure ( albeit with a young side) when he has spent most of his career at Essendon. Also used to s**t me his constant pumping up of Israel Falou's tyres when he clearly had no business being on a footy field.

Last edited:
Max Gawn doesn’t show enough leadership. A Captain that really had the boys under control would have turned the May / Melksham fight last year into something and spurred us on to win the flag, not go out in straight sets with the weight of the world on our shoulders for 2023.

Gawn is an amazing player but he isn’t the Captain we need.

He's definitely a extremely good player and I'm grateful for what his done for the Tiges and that I got to see flags because of it but I don't think he is the Greatest player of all Footy Players.

I don't think it's possible to name one absolute GOAT. Ablett Jnr might be the closest but still wouldn't say he is the definitive greatest player ever.

Spot on.

He is one of the best big game players I've ever seen, no doubt at all on that. But the legitimate list of candidates as the greatest, it's not that big and far too subjective. From the last twenty years to me only Ablett junior makes that list.

Opinion that Tim English should not be #1 ruck, should be used more as either a KPF or KPD & a backup/rest ruck when needed.

Shits me that our club b & f is named after Kevin Sheedy. Hardly won any games under him in what was only a two year tenure ( albeit with a young side) when he has spent most of his career at Essendon. Also used to s**t me his constant pumping up of Israel Falou's tyres when he clearly had no business being on a footy field.

For a long time now, Sheedy has been a self-promoter first, and anything else a distant second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support Richmond and I don't honestly believe Dustin Martin is the GOAT.

He's not even the greatest 'of all time' at Richmond.

Those who think so never saw Royce Hart in his prime. (If he hadn't played most of his career on one knee, he'd be widely acknowledged as the league GOAT).

Big respect. Dusty is one of a kind. Amazing player. But GOAT is a huge call.

Big respect. Dusty is one of a kind. Amazing player. But GOAT is a huge call.

It's a symptom of the insecurity of modern footy fans. Everything they've seen, every player, is the greatest ever. At anything. Because I was there.

That's not Martin's fault either, he's still awesome no matter what. But yes the desperation to promote player x to the greatest ever has been there for Judd, for Franklin, for Martin, none to me are remotely correct.

For a long time now, Sheedy has been a self-promoter first, and anything else a distant second.

I am not a sheedy fan as such but in the early stages after he began as Giants coach, he didn’t just promote them in Sydney. He came west of the mountains and did a heap of PR for them - and it was definitely club centric as I had to interview the guy, not Kevin centric - across the regional centres out here. His actual thoughts on Folau (I told him after the more formal part of our interaction that I’m a league tragic and as such asked if there was any chance of him becoming passable) from memory were along the lines of ‘he’s got enough ability that if he could have 3-4 years to develop he’d end up an ok player’ but that the circumstances of what was required of him would be unlikely to see any decent footy

Yep - weird. GWS were a stopgap before returning to his spiritual home.

He also has the air of the attempted “old wiley bugger still has it” when he has completely been lost to the modern game for years now, particularly off field management. I’m quite sure he’s not up to it tactically but wouldn’t be able to be certain. Time for him to close the curtains on the career and just be a fan.

Simpkin is a vanilla on-baller and he'd play better as a half forward. Very overrated amongst North fans

My unpopular opinion is that while he is vanilla, on-ball is the only position he can play.

Awful awful kick. Up and under even if it hits the target. Do you really want him wasting 5-6 inside 50s a game from half forward by kicking it so Larkey has to stop and it gets punched away?

He kicks like Andrew Swallow who was also a vanilla overrated North captain. Love their endeavour, but they are handball only mids and Simpkin isn’t big. I’d love to trade him (and have McDonald go too).

Other unpopular opinions:

North as a club are so far down the bottom of the barrel that it’s a genuine doldrums potential - another 10-15 years in the wasteland if it isn’t sorted by having 4-5 lucky star picks all at once.

The fans don’t realise this because they are so starved of not just success, but even competitive performance, that they can’t work out just how rubbish some of the North players are. I’ve seen Turner, Spicer, Bonar, Mahony and Stephenson defended at length and with the exception of Stephenson, none would even be listed at other clubs, and Stephenson would have probably quit because of the sprays over lack of guts, strength and presence. He’s pissweak in crucial contests.

The truth is that when North had 1 deadwood clean out a couple of years back, only Wood and Daw I believe were picked up by anyone else. Unfortunately we just replaced them with more spuds.
This year we will have Ziebell, Hall & Cunnington retire, with a good chance of Turner, Spicer, Mahony, Drury, Howe, Bonar, Edwards & Young being delisted. None will be even considered by other clubs. Dawson would be in the same boat if we didn’t have a need to keep him for KD depth. And Shiels also in the same boat but for leadership. 13 guys that other clubs wouldn’t even have in their 40 odd squad - we were playing 4-5 a week in our 22.

The club doesn’t realise this because a bunch of the 90s guys who had success keep putting their noses in it. They have a Carlton like attitude towards success. Only they know best and they will achieve it (and yet, here we are, 4 bottom 2 spots in 4 years).

The club is completely full of frauds. I desperately hope Clarkson has the same energy as he did at Hawthorn 2005ish, because otherwise he will realise it’s a shitload easier to not coach at North Melbourne and sail off into the sunset, maybe get an advisory role Paul Roos style elsewhere and without any adversity or attention.

I can fully see us getting to the final year of Clarksons tenor and letting him go though due to lack of improvement. Maybe a bit like Brisbane under Voss - sneak a final or 2 but ultimately never even close and fall away again and need to rebuild again.

Matthew Richardson's many petulant dummy spits on the field were an embarrassment to the RFC.

They tainted his legacy as a player, for me anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back