Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

4 Team Senior Competition surely makes People realise the Combined side in the TDFL is the way to go.
Bloody sad but as OK stated above Covid hasn’t really helped Country Footy
Be careful what you wish for. The powerbrokers who didn’t want the merger 18 months ago based on outdated traditions and self interest will be eating a healthy dose of humble pie. I’m tipping only Cudgy, Tumba and Bullioh see out the season without forfeiting a game. Tumba should start preparing for the Farrer next year and a 3 club merger for the Tallangatta league but what happens to Bullioh?

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for. The powerbrokers who didn’t want the want the merger 18 months ago based on outdated traditions and self interest will be eating a healthy dose of humble pie. I’m tipping only Cudgy, Tumba and Bullioh see out the season without forfeiting a game. Tumba should start preparing for the Farrer next year and a 3 club merger for the Tallangatta league but what happens to Bullioh?
Bullioh join as a stand alone Club?
Makes the TDFL a 14 team Competition

Bullioh join as a stand alone Club?
Makes the TDFL a 14 team Competition
Only got to look at what happened to Benalla & District League when they joined the Ovens and King, All teams just about flogged by 200pts.
NE football dept. needs to restructure the leagues, Wahgunyah and Wodonga saints to the Upper Murray

Only got to look at what happened to Benalla & District League when they joined the Ovens and King, All teams just about flogged by 200pts.
NE football dept. needs to restructure the leagues, Wahgunyah and Wodonga saints to the Upper Murray
Agree there needs to be changes but can hardly see Wahgunyah people willing to travel a near 400km round trip to play in the Upper Murray every second week.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's a deliberate move by the Border Mail.
Yeah maybe. I’m not sure what the interest outside the area is like but there has been a noticeable decline in crowds this year in my opinion.

On another note.. How do you see your mob improving on and off the field? I know you can go and hire a coach and some players from in town to improve in the short term but how do you see your club competing with the bigger clubs in the league in the future? In terms of junior participation it seems like an up hill battle for clubs like yours.

Yeah maybe. I’m not sure what the interest outside the area is like but there has been a noticeable decline in crowds this year in my opinion.

On another note.. How do you see your mob improving on and off the field? I know you can go and hire a coach and some players from in town to improve in the short term but how do you see your club competing with the bigger clubs in the league in the future? In terms of junior participation it seems like an up hill battle for clubs like yours.
I'm not sure. We've always had issues with junior numbers, so that is nothing new. To be honest, we've had a generation of juniors that either haven't been very good, or have tested themselves at higher levels and not come back.
I think we're on the right track. Club became a bit complacent after years of domination and some poor standards set in (expecting success rather than working for it). Trying to correct that now, and have improving numbers overall, a good coach and a good group of young blokes (not me). Whether that translates to success in the future, i'm not sure. In the end having locals isn't going to be enough if they're not guns at footy!

I'm not sure. We've always had issues with junior numbers, so that is nothing new. To be honest, we've had a generation of juniors that either haven't been very good, or have tested themselves at higher levels and not come back.
I think we're on the right track. Club became a bit complacent after years of domination and some poor standards set in (expecting success rather than working for it). Trying to correct that now, and have improving numbers overall, a good coach and a good group of young blokes (not me). Whether that translates to success in the future, i'm not sure. In the end having locals isn't going to be enough if they're not guns at footy!
Good points and an interesting perspective. One thing I’ve found up here is without the connection between the local supporters and locally bred players, the support wanes. It’s always going to be more difficult just because of location. I think I’ve said it before, I think your club and location are quite similar to us up here. Would be great to see a mitta or the like get back up to the finals with a good mix of local kids and some recruits. 👍

Merger talks happening between the two Corryong clubs according to the local rag. Still doesn’t do anything for junior footy. Can the league go on with 4 teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merger talks happening between the two Corryong clubs according to the local rag. Still doesn’t do anything for junior footy. Can the league go on with 4 teams?
Didn’t this happen this Year OK?Im tipping one of the Clubs in Corryong is too proud to say hey, we need to merge for the betterment of footy and Netball up here.
One Club chasing sponsors, an outlet for the community!
It just makes sense doesn’t it?

Yes It does need to happen. How much interest is there in a four team comp with no viable junior competition is there though? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

Spend 30k on washed up players to play with the dwindling local core of senior players we have. Watch that money walk out of the community! Along with most of the junior footballers over 12!

Geez bit pig headed of waters in todays paper. McKimmie is somewhat of an outside who has given a honest opinion of the state of the comp and how it can survive only to be shot down because they're too proud. Tumba & Bullioh are simply too far away to create a 5 way merger. 75% of Bullioh are from Albury and would find other homes. Tumba also have a fair few travellers. Not sure what the best option is for them Farrer league? I know their rugby team used to be in Group 9 so is similar travel

McKimmie makes heaps of sense. Merging isn’t just about this year or next year. It’s about the future. If there are no kids coming through how is it sustainable going forward? If they don’t do something soon it will be too late.
If clubs merge and create a full team of local kids then that might give the next generation something to aspire to but currently how many kids would seriously be enthusiastic about playing in games with 10-13 on each side and how does this keep them in footy?

And if the intention is for a composite UM Eagles side to start next year, the planning needs to start now and not in December or January when players are gone and coaching options are reduced otherwise the club will be on the back foot from the start.
Nah Morty.. Mont is is going to ride this thing all the way down.

League is gone, they need to commit to the merger & disbanding the league or it will be too late. Will lose lots of youngsters to the game, nearest footy would be at Tallangatta which is a two hour round trip for the parents

League is gone, they need to commit to the merger & disbanding the league or it will be too late. Will lose lots of youngsters to the game, nearest footy would be at Tallangatta which is a two hour round trip for the parents
Any merger talks are dead in the water. The comp will be 4 teams max next year. More and more families will be driving out of the district for better sporting opportunities which in turn means more money goes with them. The mind boggles..

And one of the teams that’s against the whole thing is the one team that’s tried in vain to leave the league and to merge with other clubs in the tdfl in the last few years. Go figure.

Last edited:
The needs of the many are more important than the needs of the few.

A few years from now, some people will lament the loss of football in the district but refuse to admit that its demise was caused by their one-eyed attitudes without looking at the whole picture.

The clock is heading towards twelve and while followers in the Goulburn Murray and Central Victoria regions admit that change is imminent and clubs begin to investigate options in order to survive before the clock strikes twelve, the Upper Murray is sliding down the slippery slope towards extinction and picking up speed.

Last edited:
Any merger talks are dead in the water. The comp will be 4 teams max next year. More and more families will be driving out of the district for better sporting opportunities which in turn means more money goes with them. The mind boggles..

What are the odds that they don't even get four teams up next year?

Could there be an exodus of people who give up on the local league and choose to travel to Tallangatta, Yackandandah, etc. where there is more of a pathway from juniors into seniors and a longer-term future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back