Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

We stayed at the Luxor in Vegas, Not bad but i lean towards NY NY (A bit further up the strip and still a decent price or even Planet Hollywood) So many good options there on the strip, I tend to stay away from Bellagio and Caesers, not worth the extra chunk of money for similar standards.
My mates and I stayed at Jockey Club last month, which is on-Strip, next to Bellagio, but somewhat hidden from street view. Didn't have any complaints. I've stayed at Monte Carlo too in the past and was very happy with it.

Im a big rollercoaster/thrill ride fan and was a bit disappointed with the Stratosphere rides. Especially the one that goes off the side of the building then stops. The one with the arms that swing around off the edge was okay and i always like a decent Giant Drop style ride but...meh. glad i went on them as I'd probably be kicking myself if i didn't but I'm certainly not in any rush to go again.

I did go during the day so maybe the whole experience is better at night.
Really? I thought they were awesome, except maybe the teeter-totter one. It's funny, i did them at night, spectacular, but thought day might be more freaky.

I found San Francisco as a city to be over rated....
Have to agree with this. Riding the bay was nice, but no nicer than say, Elwood. The bridge was packed with tourists and locals and it wasn't even peak season, couldn't imagine what a nightmare it would be during busy times. Fisherman's wharf felt like Southend on Sea without the rides. The highlight was driving up and down the hills pretending I was Bullit. Alcatraz is way cool. And I'm a bit weird but I liked Lombard St too.

Have to agree with this. Riding the bay was nice, but no nicer than say, Elwood. The bridge was packed with tourists and locals and it wasn't even peak season, couldn't imagine what a nightmare it would be during busy times. Fisherman's wharf felt like Southend on Sea without the rides. The highlight was driving up and down the hills pretending I was Bullit. Alcatraz is way cool. And I'm a bit weird but I liked Lombard St too.

Its the must thing to do in San Fran and i agree apart from Alcatraz nothing excited me to much about the city.

Ok cool. Anything a must-do? Seems to be some cool tours and interested to see this Rainey street - have heard 6th street is a bit dodgy??
Rainey Street is awesome, had a great time there too. 6th Street is your place to have a big night and definitely worth checking out. Petes dueling piano is good fun. If a Longhorns football game is on Id try and see that.

Check out la BBQ for great bbq, was around a 40 minute wait when I went on a Sunday, but theres free beer in the line.
Otherwise Kerlin nearby is great and doesnt have much of a line.

Rainey Street is awesome, had a great time there too. 6th Street is your place to have a big night and definitely worth checking out. Petes dueling piano is good fun. If a Longhorns football game is on Id try and see that.

Check out la BBQ for great bbq, was around a 40 minute wait when I went on a Sunday, but theres free beer in the line.
Otherwise Kerlin nearby is great and doesnt have much of a line.

Sold!

Thanks for the info. State Capitol or South Congress worth a visit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good ones yes. Shared dorms/bathrooms no.

Green Tortoise Hostel in SF was cool, there's dorms but there's also private rooms available which sleep 3/4. Don't remember it being too expensive, though I'm not sure if there's private bathrooms if that's a deal breaker.

It's around the North Beach area which was an interesting part of the city, too. The day I arrived there was some sort of festival going on, stalls in the streets, live music etc. Was a lot of fun.

Heard some scary news today that some are predicting the America dollar to go down to .50 by mid next year :eek:

Markets are saying:
25% chance of the Fed increasing it 3 times which would get the cash rate at our 1.5% providing we don't touch ours
34% chance we'll raise our rates against a 3% chance we'll lower them

Getting anywhere near 50c seems pie in the sky type scenarios, at least for next year. The big unknown is how the world will react to Donald when he takes office.

I just booked 5 weeks in August/Sept and cant wait to head back... LA>roadtrip across to Utah via Yosemite>Seattle>Cuba>LA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back