USA v Germany

Remove this Banner Ad

you_idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2002
Bacchus Marsh, VIC
Other Teams
The mighty Geelong Cats!
Didn't see the thread started, so I thought I'd give it a go...

Working on my preview now for the dailysoccer.com site, and I'll post the link here as soon as it posts there. My post-match report feature, and the link thereof, will appear here, also.

Game airs at 9:20 p.m. tonight on SBS, starting with the pre-game.

I know that a lot of people here think that the USA's run so far is a bit of a fluke, but I think they can contend here. Bear in mind that since the USA's 2-0 opening-match defeat to the Germans in the 1998 World Cup, they have beaten them twice in the three meetings since, with one of those wins coming in the 1999 Confederations Cup. The lone blemish there was a 4-2 friendly defeat in Rostock in March, but with Clint Mathis scoring the Americans' two goals and the defensive frailties since shored up, the USA have shown that they are capable of competing with Germany.

Anyhow, that's going to be just one angle in my article.

As for a prediction, I'll say that the USA continue their run, winning 2-1.

Post your other thoughts and predictions here...

Cheers,
William

OK, all-- here's the link to my preview article...

http://www.dailysoccer.com/article.php?Article=110194

And here's what I gather the lineup are apt to be, with the USA playing a 3-5-2 against the Germans' 4-4-2...

The USA XI (from my article):

--------------Mathis----------McBride-------
---------------------Donovan-----------------
Beasley------------------------------Reyna (c)
------------Mastroeni------O'Brien----------
Berhalter------------Pope---------Sanneh
----------------------Friedel-------------------

And for Germany, acording to Kicker http://www.kicker.de/content/news/a...on=2001/02&spieltag=34&spielpaarung=&turnier=

------------Klose--------Neuville------------
----------------------Ballack------------------
Bode------------------------------Schneider
--------------------Hammann---------------
Ziege----Metzelder-----Linke------Frings
-----------------------Kahn-------------------

There you go! Enjoy the game! :)

Cheers,
William

The old enemy to get beat ? - Great!

USA to go further than England? - Oh no!

As you can see William a terrible dilemma for us English!

Head says Germany but good luck USA - I hope you can pull off a huge shock.

Originally posted by swansong
The old enemy to get beat ? - Great!

USA to go further than England? - Oh no!

As you can see William a terrible dilemma for us English!

Head says Germany but good luck USA - I hope you can pull off a huge shock.

I was just thinking the same thing, Swanny.

Back home, I used to work for a weekly magazine that was decidedly Anglo-centric-- and by that, I mean that the Premiership was the front-and-center focus of the coverage, with me as the managing editor and writing a column on American soccer, too-- and some of my English friends back home are probably crying in their warm beers knowing that as of this very moment, the USA has lasted longer in a World Cup than England did. If I were back home, I would have to tell them, "I told you so. Now go get out to some MLS games. The [San Jose] Earthquakes are league champions, and they deserve your support."

But I'm sure that the USA can do England a moral favour and defeat those hated Germans. :D

Cheers,
William

Good luck You_idiot - for your sake I'd love it if the USA could continue their run, but I can't see it happening. I suspect Germany will be far too strong - I'll tip Germany 3-0, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

U-S-A. U-S-A.

I really think the Americans can win tonight, and I reckon they might get up 2-1.

USA have been mighty impressive as of yet, and if Friedel can keep up his good form, and the guys Donovan, McBride and Beasley can continue to rip up the turf, thats a great start.

U-S-A
U-S-A

Hard luck on your 1-0 defeat to Italy , William.
What? That was GERMANY in the white shirts?

Good luck to Brazil and Spain - it will be appropriate if the two most attack-minded teams fight out the final.

The Germans won, but i think USA were the better team. The US created several good chances but just couldn't finish. I have the feeling if they had better quality strikers they would have won.

This match really shows what i have been suspecting all along, the surprise teams (US, Korea, Senegal, etc) aren't as good as the Europeans and S.Americans in terms of skill, but came into this WC better prepared. They were better tactically and ran hard all game, while the power teams came into the games thinking they were up for an easy win as usual and got embarrassed.

Somehow i don't think we will see the same results in 4yrs time. My early prediction is that the world soccer powers will dominate the WC once again. Especially since the european teams will be playing in their climate.

Hey if you can't finish you can't win. Kahn proved why he is the best keeper in the world today with a number of fine saves. Donovan is a find for the USA hopefully he'll be in Europe next year trying to improve.

There was one consoling fact for the USA in not making the semis, that don't have the selection problems they would've, with 5 players suspended and another 2 injured it would've been hard to field a decent side, anyway they are dirty. One of the ugliest sides in the competition with their holding tactics and lucky at least one or 2 weren't sent off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been impressed with the US effort this WCand I reckon if their main young core group can stick together then they could go further in 2006.

Arenas is a fair coach too, makes intelligent subs.

If anyone still thinks Italy is the most boring side in the world, watch 90 minutes of Germany. Even though i wanted the US to win, i didn't want a late equaliser because i couldn't sit through anymore Germany tonight.

Great national anthem though. Very stirring. :)

Originally posted by Slax
Hey if you can't finish you can't win. Kahn proved why he is the best keeper in the world today with a number of fine saves. Donovan is a find for the USA hopefully he'll be in Europe next year trying to improve.

There was one consoling fact for the USA in not making the semis, that don't have the selection problems they would've, with 5 players suspended and another 2 injured it would've been hard to field a decent side, anyway they are dirty. One of the ugliest sides in the competition with their holding tactics and lucky at least one or 2 weren't sent off.

I wouldn't call them dirty first and foremost. I'll agree with you that their defenders did their fair share of clutching and grabbing, but there are far dirtier teams in the competition.

But I'll agree with you the rest of the way, Slax. Not having Pope, Mastroeni or Berhalter (three, not five would have been suspended, BTW) would have hampered Arena's selections-- but then again, I didn't think he'd recall Hejduk tonight, either. Bruce has been a genius when it comes to personnel decisions, but on the whole, I think I'd much rather have a situation of the three suspensions for the first CONCACAF World Cup qualifier in two years' time rather than a World Cup semifinal... a much easier challenge, IMO.

And as for Donovan... I told you all that he was a good player, and he delivered. I think that he will go back to Europe in due time-- but for personally selfish reasons, I'd rather see him remain in MLS with the San Jose Earthquakes. Bayer Leverkusen say that they want him back, but who's to say that he's not going to be mired in the reserves again? And the same goes for any of a variety of American players, now, too... now that they have the clout of having done very well and a team that has done very well in a World Cup finals competition, they can either go to clubs where they will get significant playing time, or come home to MLS. The money may be much less in the domestic league, sure, but there will be endorsement money waiting for them when they get home, too.

Cheers,
William

Just some more random thoughts as I prepare to write my commentary piece...

To me, this team went out on its own terms.

They attacked the Germans, had tons of possession, and were unlucky not to have scored. If Donovan scores before Ballack does, it's a different game. And if O'Brien converts one of his early second-half chances (or yes, even if that phantom hand-ball gets called), different game there, too. And if Sanneh's header lands just inches on the other side of the post, who knows, maybe extra time or penalties.

They could have easily bunkered for long periods of time and hoped for extra time or PK's. But to their credit, they didn't. For the first half-hour and change, and for a good majority of the second half, they had a great deal of said possession, and defended well-- playing a perfect game, in my opinion. Bruce Arena has been a genius in terms of tactics and getting the right personnel on the field in order to perform to those tactics, and tonight was no exception.

Granted, that five-minute stretch in the first half where they allowed Ballack to score, leaping higher than Sanneh, was costly. But that's what teams of destiny do-- they punish you for the smallest miscues. We all knew going in that the Germans were going to be dangerous on crosses into the box and on set pieces, and they took that one chance very well-- and if it weren't for the woodwork, the climb uphill for the USA would have been steeper.

Think back eight years ago, when the USA lost by the same 1-0 scoreline to eventual champions Brazil. Same scoreline, yes, but a much different way of achieving it-- it would be better to attack in a vaunted fashion, with flair, rather than have to be on the back foot for a vast majority of the game like they were at Stanford Stadium back on July 4, 1994, against the Brazilians.

True, in America, it's said that no one likes a loser. But given that nobody, or hardly anybody of note, gave this team a chance to get out of first-round group play and came within a touch here and there of upsetting the odds once again. They lost, but played brilliantly. We as fans of this team should be utmostly proud of them. We can also look back on this evening as the moment where respect on the global stage was irrevocably gained.

Cheers,
William

And here's the link to my match report and commentary, as promised...

http://www.dailysoccer.com/article.php?Article=110490

I'll probably be doing another article tomorrow, with an "aftermath" type of theme, with quotes from more players (the focus there rather than on Bruce Arena, although he has been a genius during this run)...

Cheers,
William

And here's the link to my "aftermath" commentary...

http://www.dailysoccer.com/article.php?Article=110538

Definitely a case of "our heads are held high". Whether you support the USA or not, their collective attitude in defeat is to be totally admired.

Also some news on Landon Donovan in the article as well-- he may actually play for the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday night local time in California (Sunday afternoon here)...

Cheers,
William

Full credit to USA for the way they played last night against Germany. They showed great team spirit during this World Cup, and I was pleasently surprised with their quality of play in their matches.

Cheers!! :cool:
SeinDude

Remove this Banner Ad

Back