Vale Reigning Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

In less than 24 hours Geelong will cease to be reigning AFL Premiers. For me it won’t be a sad day. We got our money’s worth and in hindsight it was a premiership that few of us really thought would materialise before the 2022 season started, and probably up to R11.

My overwhelmingly unforgettable memories of the 2022 Grand Final that netted us the premiership cup:

• Tommy Hawkins kick starting the game with two classic Hawkins forward ruck goals,
  • Paddy Dangerfield’s unbelievable game. Had he kicked a goal he’d probably have won the NS,
  • Isaac Smith stamping himself as a Cats great,
  • The comprehensiveness of the win, and
  • Being there - for some reason this win meant more than previous wins

Last edited:
In less than 24 hours Geelong will cease to be reigning AFL Premiers. For me it won’t be a sad day. We got our money’s worth and in hindsight it was a premiership that few of us really thought would materialise before the 2022 season started, and probably up to R11.

My overwhelmingly unforgettable memories of the 2022 Grand Final that netted us the premiership cup:

• Tommy Hawkins kick starting the game with two classic Hawkins forward ruck goals,
  • Paddy Dangerfield’s unbelievable game. Had he kicked a goal he’d probably have won the NS,
  • Isaac Smith stamping himself as a Cats great,
  • The comprehensiveness of the win, and
  • Being there - for some reason this win meant more than previous wins
What a great game it was. Lived the dream, and we will be back next year for more.

The garden is looking good for tomorrow. Ah s**t just remembered I am building a fence with a mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a great run. We can't complain. Some clubs would kill for our recent record of success.

Lje0RdG.jpg

We've had a great run. We can't complain. Some clubs would kill for our recent record of success.

Lje0RdG.jpg

Never thought I'd see it; I think after witnessing 4 GF losses in my time following the Cats prior to 2007, on top of other 'what ifs' like the Nick Davis game and the Leigh Colbert mark-that-wasn't, I had resigned myself to the possibility that I might not see a flag in my lifetime.

As is always the case when we roll around to Grand Final day and Geelong is not a participant, I can't help but feel a little envy and bitterness - I'm petty like that.

But whilst we were unable to 'defend' our 2022 flag, it was nonetheless a miracle that we got it done and I am peace with my emotional investment with the club over the decades.

Really.

Last edited:
I feel exactly the same. I was around to see Blighty's Boys almost make it. They were a team of champions though, with a 'bottom half' that fell away in performance at crucial times despite kicking cricket scores during the season.

The Mark Thompson/Chris Scott era had superstars for sure in Gary Ablett Jnr, Steve Johnson, Jimmy Bartel, Paul Chapman, not to mention a bloke who slept on a bed of nails and ate bricks for brekky in Skipper Joel Selwood but the 'bottom half' put in the hard work as well. They were a champion team.

I'm a content cat sleeping in a patch of sun right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back