Value in Delisted FA - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs will probably run smaller senior lists and go with more rookies (e. g. 38/39 senior and 6/5 cat A rookie) as they'll happily take speculative players for 1 year on the rookie list (cat A rookie players can play from rd 1 now).

Theres a couple of clubs not signing dfa's with minimal rookies to upgrade with a lot of lateish picks. It will be interesting which clubs tactics for this draft will work. I think what Port are doing from a tactical sense is what I would prefer if it was my club in the same circumstances.

Port obviously have ear marked Atley , Drew , Marshall , Frampton , Bonner , Houston , Powell-Pepper and Johnson as young players they want to give a go , with the first draft pick being no 46 , they'll probably pick a slider then use later picks on dfa's , these guys may or may not get a game but will help with leadership and training standards while filling out the Port Magpies side which the club do actually care about .
Next year in a better draft they'll go youth again . If the dfa's flop they'll be gone at the end of the year , if by some chance they can with a new environment regain somewhere near their best form they will be a chance to stiffen up the AFL side when required . All while allowing salary cap room for the more highly rated trades . I don't think the dfa's will be expected to play more than 5 games each

Port obviously have ear marked Atley , Drew , Marshall , Frampton , Bonner , Houston , Powell-Pepper and Johnson as young players they want to give a go , with the first draft pick being no 46 , they'll probably pick a slider then use later picks on dfa's , these guys may or may not get a game but will help with leadership and training standards while filling out the Port Magpies side which the club do actually care about .
Next year in a better draft they'll go youth again . If the dfa's flop they'll be gone at the end of the year , if by some chance they can with a new environment regain somewhere near their best form they will be a chance to stiffen up the AFL side when required . All while allowing salary cap room for the more highly rated trades . I don't think the dfa's will be expected to play more than 5 games each

Yep thats what alot of people are missing. Picking up 1 year contracts so they dont need to pick up lower picks and do 2 year contracts

I think a lot of people aren't missing it they just think they've grabbed the wrong DFAs

Fair enough and i do agree somewhat but i was more talking about strategy not specidically players. I thibk mckenzie is the definition of a good dfa and well worth the punt. I would have taken hartung, ben kennedy, ruggles and quite a few before trengrove but time will tell. And thonas, well i hate him so any one else would do!!

I think a lot of people aren't missing it they just think they've grabbed the wrong DFAs

Out of curiosity which F/A's are better.

I get the Tregrove and Mckenzie picks ups as they both have reasoning for wanting to come to the club.

Trengrove is from SA and will most likely play for our reserves. With the loss of depth and also signing players on decent money he is a cheap option that wanted to come home that will offer good leadership to the reserve players.

Mckenzie has the connection with Hinkley but i am unsure how he will go as we have bonner and pittard playing in his position.

Both are able to come on a cheap 1 year deal which we decide next year what we want to do with them as we have have extra picks in 2018.

Would have liked to get hartung and menzel (from geelong) as free agents but not sure if they wanted to come to port to be just depth players and also on cheap contracts.

I get the Tregrove and Mckenzie picks ups as they both have reasoning for wanting to come to the club.

Trengrove is from SA and will most likely play for our reserves. With the loss of depth and also signing players on decent money he is a cheap option that wanted to come home that will offer good leadership to the reserve players.

Mckenzie has the connection with Hinkley but i am unsure how he will go as we have bonner and pittard playing in his position.

Both are able to come on a cheap 1 year deal which we decide next year what we want to do with them as we have have extra picks in 2018.

Would have liked to get hartung and menzel (from geelong) as free agents but not sure if they wanted to come to port to be just depth players and also on cheap contracts.

I personally don't rate McKenzie at all. He is a tweener who can't play tall or small.

Trengrove looks a mile off it. So you're essentially wasting a list spot on a bloke for moral around training (more than happy to be proven wrong on this one).

Port are clearly loading up for a tilt so why not grab blokes who can play a role at AFL level and are durable eg Suban, Ruggles, Thomas or Hartung.

Or grab a risk reward guy like Menzel/Crameri.

I personally don't rate McKenzie at all. He is a tweener who can't play tall or small.

Trengrove looks a mile off it. So you're essentially wasting a list spot on a bloke for moral around training (more than happy to be proven wrong on this one).

Port are clearly loading up for a tilt so why not grab blokes who can play a role at AFL level and are durable eg Suban, Ruggles, Thomas or Hartung.

In relation to ports list Brian Waldron on sen has got it spot on.Dosent think the players they've brought in are that good bar Rockliff of course.

In relation to ports list Brian Waldron on sen has got it spot on.Dosent think the players they've brought in are that good bar Rockliff of course.
Brian Waldron is quite possibly the dumbest person in media, including Damien Barrett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Port need Suban or Hartung with Polec and Motlop tbh. Polec and Motlop are also pretty experienced so it's not like Suban and Hartung will bring much to the table experience wise.
I personally would've taken Ruggles over Trent Mckenzie as Ruggles is a legitimate shutdown small defender who could definitely help out DBJ with that side of his game. But regardless they have Bonner and Jonas already who can take smalls/mediums on top of DBJ. So not the most necessary addition but could be useful nonetheless.

Mckenzie didn't make sense to me Houston Hartlett Pittard already in his position.

Trenners is cooked but he could really take Drew and Atley under his wing for the Magpies while SPP continues to learn the ropes with Rockliff Boak Ebert and Wines. His work ethic and general game smarts are still there and he's done very well at VFL level for a while now.

I think they could've given Lennon or Menzel a shot but they need F50 pressure right now if they want to play finals.

Lindsay Thomas as a Rookie list added to Trengrove as DFA. Cut that crap out and the rest has been solid trade period.

Lindsay Thomas as a Rookie list added to Trengrove as DFA. Cut that crap out and the rest has been solid trade period.
Yeah agreed re Thomas, no idea why we have so much interest in him. Trengove on the other hand I can understand, Port has a pretty decent record of getting players body's right eg Dixon, Polec, Toumpas (regardless if he's good enough for AFL). I see Trengove as a real risk/reward in that everyone knows how good his best is, if there's a 10% chance he can get back to that sweet but other than that he's a depth player. I mean I look at some of the depth players he replaced being Young, Ah Chee and he's about that level.

Lindsay would playing SANFL for most of the year anyway, teaching Port's younger players. You don't play 200 games and kick over 300 goals as a small forward with no pace without a decent footy brain. The move costs Port absolutely nothing and the potential gains are quite high from a development POV.

Plus, contrary to what the media loves to run with, Lindsay is a sensational person who is absolutely loved by everyone round the club, and is talked up as a sensational teammate by pretty much everyone's who's played with him. He is also a leader, and has done fantastic work both in a footy and off-field sense with our young indigenous kids. People outside the club don't see it as much as us, but I reckon he'll be a real asset to Port if they're gunning for the flag. He plays well in finals too.

As mentioned i agree with hartung and menzel being better picks, just think the DFA pick ups are more for reserves as we wont have many good picks in this years draft, but also stocked up on 2018 picks so its like a temporary list turnover with 1 year deals.

I doubt hartung would have came to port but even then the guys we sign wont get near the AFL side unless we get injuries.

I still think port will be recruiting some mature age players from the state leagues as well. Fox Footy reported we were into Tim Kelly.

In a ideal world though we would be getting better quality DFA, but if that was the case would prefer to have kept young and achee, but they would have commanded a bit more money compared to lindsey/trengrove.

Still possible for him to do a 'backflip' and GC pick him up in the draft right?

Though can't see that happening. I mean why would Swallow move to GC on such a low wage at his age.

Too be honest $100,000 is a solid wage anywhere else than afl and unless he has a job lined up he may be on less going into whatever job he goes to! Plus match fees and whatnot $150,000 looks allright to me

Too be honest $100,000 is a solid wage anywhere else than afl and unless he has a job lined up he may be on less going into whatever job he goes to! Plus match fees and whatnot $150,000 looks allright to me

Plus he gets paid his last year of his contract by north

Remove this Banner Ad

Back