Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

i watch quite a bit of US sports media shows (espn etc). and also listen to espn radio. i do not recall their hosts or guests making up words, stumbling, or applying the basics of poor English to their oral presentations.

But for some reason, our sports media (namely afl football) are ridden with this disease where mistake laden segments and speech are laughed at and promoted. Why?

It's been a long time since I was at school, but back then it was not "cool" to receive good grades or achieve. Such persons were laughed at. Is it like this now today where achieving is not to be aspired to?

Ox this morning on SEN saying that he thinks "Leigh Matthews will jump on Tonto and ride off into the sunset"

Tonto was the Lone Rangers sidekick, not his horse.

Bit of broke back action?? Hi ho...

Another one.

Geelong fan on SEN says their loss to Melbourne last year was an 'apparition'.

i watch quite a bit of US sports media shows (espn etc). and also listen to espn radio. i do not recall their hosts or guests making up words, stumbling, or applying the basics of poor English to their oral presentations.

But for some reason, our sports media (namely afl football) are ridden with this disease where mistake laden segments and speech are laughed at and promoted. Why?

It's been a long time since I was at school, but back then it was not "cool" to receive good grades or achieve. Such persons were laughed at. Is it like this now today where achieving is not to be aspired to?
Most of their sports stars go to university and have minimum academic standards to uphold while they're there while ours, footballers in particular, barely finish high school. Could that have anything to do with it?

There's so many local media markets in the US that unless you're really good then you probably won't make it nationally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tells yuz, the 'syndrome' of yobbos getting in the media and trying to talk fancy is getting out of hand, and I can't farkin hack it.
I dunno what's worse: hillbillies who speak bogany ("yeah nah, I seen him, he done it, I give it to him"), or try-hards attempting to sound la di da. At least the bogans are more real

Today, David Schwarz said, twice: "will Rockliff commarnd demarnd? Will he commarnd demarnd?" :D
He's a farkin bogan from Sunbury!! FMD!!!!!!!

And on Sunday, Wayne Carey, the cashed-up hillbilly from Wagga, said, FOUR TIMES (!!!!), that Boomer Harvey "demarnded an arnswer. He demarnded an arnswer!! But he demarnded an arnswer!" Hmm, that's 3, Ha

AAAAAGH! I feel like I'm in Bizarro World! It's messed up. It's so pretentious!!! Ugh!!!
I wanna know how it happens. Do they actually think to themselves, "ooooh, that guy saying 'arnswer' sounds smart; maybe I should do it, too." Or do the radio flogs behind the scenes suggest it? Do their wives tell them?

I don't fit in any more. :p I gather if I had life and a wife with some strife, I'd have bigger things to worry about. HA

Last edited:
David Schwarz, just then: "I just don't think the Dogs need another cumberson forward", but at least he says "demarnd" and "commarnd", right?

You're way off with your demarnd and comarnd stuff. Demand and demarnd have been pretty much interchangeable in Australian English for an eternity. As previously mentioned anyone for SA usually says demarnd and it's not that uncommon in other states too. A lot of early settlers here were Cockney, Cockneys say demarnd and they are not posh! Just because you say demand doesn't mean others don't and can't say demarnd quite naturally, I swap between the two myself without even thinking about it. Do you remember the 'Demand a Commander' ad that used to be on the telly all the time? I'm pretty sure within that ad they swap between the two. Get over it! ;)

Last edited:
I think that calling the Gold Coast player O'Meara "Yayger" is pretty much the definition of a "boganism". How many times will we hear that one over the next few months?
I assumed his parents had a big session on the jager bombs the night he was conceived and decided to name him after it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back