VERSUS Bout Two: Darren Bewick vs Mark Mercuri

who wins this battle Bewick v Mercuri

• Bewick

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Mercuri

Votes: 42 72.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite but Bewick against Moorcroft would be more apt.

It would be a no argument landslide to Bewick.
This is a good poll, because it's a hard question.

It would be a no argument landslide to Bewick.
This is a good poll, because it's a hard question.
It would. Just trying to put emphasis on Mercuri above Bewick. Bewick could probably excite crowds more. For pure silky football skills, Mercuri was a class above.

Bewick.

no doubt Mercuri could do some freakish things but Boris was more consistent and he was the best kick for goal bar Lloyd that I've ever seen at Essendon.
his goals were team lifters. he'd get in the face of the opposition, he took the game on whenever he could.... just loved him.

8 goals in a comeback game! single handedly destroyed Geelong!

any stories from back in the day? i read he had already played state footy for WA while at west perth - must have been pretty elite already

Mate he was just one of those blokes you always knew was going to make it, he had pristine skills as did his brothers who also played league at West Perth. Back then the WAFL was a pretty strong comp so making a name for yourself didn't come easy but Bewick stood out with his pace and freakish goal sense, played more midfield at West Perth as a young kid but I am not sure he had the tank to survive there long term.
He took his chances and was a seriously good player for you guys and had a good career. Was a shame he never came back and gave West Perth a year or two but that is just how it works. The Bewick family is a big name at West Perth as is the Duckworth family. Derek Kicket also started at West Perth before going to Claremont.

Mate he was just one of those blokes you always knew was going to make it, he had pristine skills as did his brothers who also played league at West Perth. Back then the WAFL was a pretty strong comp so making a name for yourself didn't come easy but Bewick stood out with his pace and freakish goal sense, played more midfield at West Perth as a young kid but I am not sure he had the tank to survive there long term.
He took his chances and was a seriously good player for you guys and had a good career. Was a shame he never came back and gave West Perth a year or two but that is just how it works. The Bewick family is a big name at West Perth as is the Duckworth family. Derek Kicket also started at West Perth before going to Claremont.

Thanks for the insight !
I guess he's a successful jnr coach now so probably stopped him coming home.

I'm.planning a kickett matchup soon, I heard he won the sandover by a record margin, 16 vote lead but was ineligible because of a slap. Freak talent! Best torp ever

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who you going to match up with Leon Baker? Anyone worthy? He was a gun. I played with him at South Bunbury.

Wow we could talk to you all day!

Is the tale true about him rocking up in boardies and a head band first day? Running Laps with his dog before first training and the jackets upstairs turning up their nose straight away....

I watched him on open Mike the other day, pretty cool story of his journey! I'm.sure you'd have a few good stories.

For what it's worth I thought mercuri was his ideal matchup. If I think about it he was pretty unique, Hes been mentioned a lot but bit like le cras today?

Wow we could talk to you all day!

Is the tale true about him rocking up in boardies and a head band first day? Running Laps with his dog before first training and the jackets upstairs turning up their nose straight away....

I watched him on open Mike the other day, pretty cool story of his journey! I'm.sure you'd have a few good stories.

For what it's worth I thought mercuri was his ideal matchup. If I think about it he was pretty unique, Hes been mentioned a lot but bit like le cras today?

The stories from South Bunbury were embelished over the years but South Bunbury were a very formal club and anyone who looked out of place was frowned upon. They were pretty snobby. He played his first game in the seconds and now has a plaque on the wall of his deeds that day, can't quote exactly but it was approx 8 goals and over 30 possessions in only 3 quarters as he never came on until quarter time. The rest as they say is history. He was a very laid back guy and spoke to everyone, my father talked for hours about footy and life with him. To this day he always turns up at South Bunbury reunions and of course the red carpet is laid out for him. Not that he cares though. We all followed his journey closely and watched as he carved up the WAFL and the VFL. Some of the footy he played at Swan Districts was just incredible and of course hye did the same for you guys at Essendon. He is exactly as you saw on Open Mike, a guy that loves life and travelling. Footy was a hobby to him and just something he was good at. You won't see many more Leon Bakers again. There are many many players that others will say are better players and they may be right, but purley as a finals player on the big stage he is without doubt the best finals player I have seen. He stood up almost every final. That is quite unique I reckon although a little bias.
As for Lecras I think he is a super player also but he does not have the poise and time Baker had, two different era's though.

Bewick for mine. Was an elite goalkicking match winner who retained high level of form throughout his career. Mercuri's form really dropped in his last 3-4 years which saw me put Bewick on top.

Mercs has destroyed the vote over time!!

if I ever get a dog, i'm going to call it Boris... that's the second highest accolade after naming a son...

if I get another cat itll be mercs, just moves in a more elegant refined way.

The stories from South Bunbury were embelished over the years but South Bunbury were a very formal club and anyone who looked out of place was frowned upon. They were pretty snobby. He played his first game in the seconds and now has a plaque on the wall of his deeds that day, can't quote exactly but it was approx 8 goals and over 30 possessions in only 3 quarters as he never came on until quarter time. The rest as they say is history. He was a very laid back guy and spoke to everyone, my father talked for hours about footy and life with him. To this day he always turns up at South Bunbury reunions and of course the red carpet is laid out for him. Not that he cares though. We all followed his journey closely and watched as he carved up the WAFL and the VFL. Some of the footy he played at Swan Districts was just incredible and of course hye did the same for you guys at Essendon. He is exactly as you saw on Open Mike, a guy that loves life and travelling. Footy was a hobby to him and just something he was good at. You won't see many more Leon Bakers again. There are many many players that others will say are better players and they may be right, but purley as a finals player on the big stage he is without doubt the best finals player I have seen. He stood up almost every final. That is quite unique I reckon although a little bias.
As for Lecras I think he is a super player also but he does not have the poise and time Baker had, two different era's though.

Just saw this. Thanks for the input...

I am not sure if Howard is going use him in a 'versus' ...but there'd only be one or two that I would vote for against Leon. He was an absolute star. I've said it on this board plenty of times, but Tim Watson rated him as high as any team mate at one point - not bad considering who his other team mates were.

Back