VFL VFL 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to Tom King & Krock for the information in the following posts

BFL Grand Final best-on-ground Zach Walter will get a chance to test his undoubted talent at a higher level after earning an invite to Geelong VFL pre-season training.

The 20-year-old racked up 33 possessions, including 15 rebound 50s, in Barwon Heads’ drought-breaking premiership win over Torquay.

37 players have been given a chance to earn a spot with the Cats, with 15 of those returning from 2019.

Among those not on the list this year but that have played with Geelong before include former St Mary’s forward Aiden Grace, who returned home to Tasmania this year, Saints big man Trent McMullan, and Leopold ball-magnet Marcus Thompson.

Delisted Hawthorn midfielder Teia Miles, former Brisbane and Essendon big man Sam Michael, who starred with GFL club St Albans and represented Vic Country in 2019, and Geelong Falcons’ graduates Charlie Sprague and Lachie Smith are also training.

After making a successful return from a severe knee injury that culminated in a GFL premiership with St Mary’s, Jesse Travaglini has been rewarded with an invite.

Leopold recruits Tom Feeley (Glenelg) and Harris Jennings (Portland) are also hoping to pull on the Hoops next year.

MEANWHILE, AFL Victoria has unveiled changes to list rules for 2020.

Geelong will be allowed to submit a final list of 24 and a six-man development list

Each team will again be able to field 23 players, with one of those to be a 19-year-old development player and one player under the age of 21.

Also,

• An additional rookie list of two players is available to all VFL teams which will include Next Generation Academy players and players who meet the AFL category B Rookie criteria.

• A father/son rule will be introduced in 2020 which allows a club to list a player whose father played 100 games or more for the club (including AFL and AFL aligned clubs). These players will be listed on a club’s development list.

2020 GEELONG VFL TRAINING SQUAD (*indicates returning player)

PLAYER2019 CLUB
Zach WalterBarwon Heads
Luke Smith*Bell Park
Cooper Jones*Bell Park
Charlie Wilson*Bell Park
Adam Garner*Colac
Jordan JohnstonEast Point
Angus Byrne*Echuca
Jack McHaleEchuca
Charlie SpragueGeelong Falcons
Lachie SmithGeelong Falcons
Tom FeeleyGlenelg
Aiden GraceGlenorchy
Jake ThrumGolden Square
James CleaverGWV Rebels
Liam HerbertGWV Rebels
Mitchell BurgessGWV Rebels
Cooper Craig-PetersGWV Rebels
Matty LloydGWV Rebels
Josh DwyerGWV Rebels
Jed HillGWV Rebels
Teia MilesHawthorn
James Gow*Koroit
Marcus ThompsonLeopold
Kyle GrayMooroopna
Zane Keighran*Newtown & Chilwell
Ned Harris*Newtown & Chilwell
Alex Cincotta*Newtown & Chilwell
Harris JenningsPortland
Sam MichaelSt Albans
Aaron Black*St Joseph’s
Callum Mitchell*St Joseph’s
Dan Capiron*St Joseph’s
Jackson McLachlan*St Joseph’s
Paddy Dowling*St Mary’s
Kyle Reid*St Mary’s
Trent McMullanSt Mary’s
Jesse TravagliniSt Mary’s

All info from

We will go into the VFL 2020 season with a balanced list and only a few (compared with last 2 years) underdeveloped players. I don't recommend betting to make money but for a season long ride this years VFL side is worth a punt. Just spending money no more. We should have a core of AFL experienced types fighting for a place, plus a load of kids with bigger bodies now, ready to go.

Those newbies I mentioned above should be top end picks rather than rookies (of past years) and surely will stand up better. Relative passengers from last year like Fort, Schlensog, Jarvis and Okunbor will be ready.

AN Easter Monday clash with Box Hill Hawks at the MCG is among five AFL curtain raisers Geelong’s VFL team will feature in next year.

The Cats meeting with the Hawks will precede the Geelong’s traditional AFL meeting with Hawthorn.

Geelong will also play four curtain raisers at GMHBA Stadium; against Sandringham on April 19, North Melbourne on May 30, Casey Demons on July 25 and Footscray on August 1.

With the MCG being a Geelong ‘home’ game, the Cats will play just seven matches at GMHBA Stadium, including a Round 1 meeting with Coburg on April 4.

Geelong will play the Demons, Hawks, Northern Blues and Werribee twice.

The Cats will also play four practice matches, starting with curtain raiser to the Marsh Series clash between Geelong and Essendon at Colac’s Central Reserve.

Against who I wonder...

I was old Abbott dominated for Grovedale .. I think I will wait and see what SM does at VFL level.. before id even think about him being more than a VFL gap filler..

We've had a ruck issue for many years and still manage to get there (finals). I suppose the big question is who will be the next recruit to step up.

I think Sav can do that, at least part time. Maybe the king can help in the next few years but as to a pure ruck, we still don't have that and it takes time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a ruck issue for many years and still manage to get there (finals). I suppose the big question is who will be the next recruit to step up.

I think Sav can do that, at least part time. Maybe the king can help in the next few years but as to a pure ruck, we still don't have that and it takes time.

King? Do you mean Dek.. to step as a ruck... we really havent added anyone... yet lost a couple. In the afl ist true we keep making finals but we keep losing finals too.. perhaps that says more about our rucks than us getting there... perhaps it says nothing.

King? Do you mean Dek.. to step as a ruck... we really havent added anyone... yet lost a couple. In the afl ist true we keep making finals but we keep losing finals too.. perhaps that says more about our rucks than us getting there... perhaps it says nothing.
Yes, I meant De Koning (the king) and yes, I also said we have not added a pure ruck. Sam can play at either end right now, albeit maybe not at AFL level, ruck at his height isn't out of the question.

Taking them (rucks) as 'kids' does not seem to be the way we go. Who do you think we have on the list (AFL or VFL) that is capable of taking the next step.? I thought Sav.

I wasn't disillusioned with what I've seen of Fort, he can kick goals which is what many clubs seem to ask of their resting rucks. Around the ground, I'm not so sure.

Yes, I meant De Koning (the king) and yes, I also said we have not added a pure ruck. Sam can play at either end right now, albeit maybe not at AFL level, ruck at his height isn't out of the question.

Taking them (rucks) as 'kids' does not seem to be the way we go. Who do you think we have on the list (AFL or VFL) that is capable of taking the next step.? I thought Sav.

I wasn't disillusioned with what I've seen of Fort, he can kick goals which is what many clubs seem to ask of their resting rucks. Around the ground, I'm not so sure.

Fort ..the issue I have is he is not much more advanced than perhaps drafting a 21 yo. I liked the idea of Fort , an he showed some form in the VFL which was assertive ..but I question his athleticism ..he relies on hie height ..Im not sure he has spring. I think we may end up looking back and wondering why didnt we take a younger guy..Marshall at the st's for example of what Id like us to keep adding.. you will have failures..but for certain you will have no success without trying. I think Dek is 2bob each way

Going by the media reports ..I think Kennerley may push for games ... but really guys like simpson and ZacG better find a way to get in soon or the will be getting to the stage where they are forgotten. From this year... CS may push for games as well.so again.. they guys who have been around a while ..its do or seeyouroundlikearissole

Fort ..the issue I have is he is not much more advanced than perhaps drafting a 21 yo. I liked the idea of Fort , an he showed some form in the VFL which was assertive ..but I question his athleticism ..he relies on hie height ..Im not sure he has spring. I think we may end up looking back and wondering why didnt we take a younger guy..Marshall at the st's for example of what Id like us to keep adding.. you will have failures..but for certain you will have no success without trying. I think Dek is 2bob each way

Going by the media reports ..I think Kennerley may push for games ... but really guys like simpson and ZacG better find a way to get in soon or the will be getting to the stage where they are forgotten. From this year... CS may push for games as well.so again.. they guys who have been around a while ..its do or seeyouroundlikearissole
On the whole (pardon the rissole) I agree, we didn't take an outside mid, so maybe we have 1 in waiting.

I'm not overly concerned about the young players we took 2 years ago, or the most recent draft for that matter. What I want to see is improvement this year, specifically from Kreuger.

Simpson & Zach performed well @ VFL level without being standouts (I'm aware of Simpson's achievement), considering the time on our list they do need to make 2020 their year.

On the whole (pardon the rissole) I agree, we didn't take an outside mid, so maybe we have 1 in waiting.

I'm not overly concerned about the young players we took 2 years ago, or the most recent draft for that matter. What I want to see is improvement this year, specifically from Kreuger.

Simpson & Zach performed well @ VFL level without being standouts (I'm aware of Simpson's achievement), considering the time on our list they do need to make 2020 their year.

Somene will come thru . Freddie may be the one ..although I think finding a spot for him is no easy matter

Turbocat So you like to judge young talent you have asked me my thoughts why I think Freddie will play this year as a forward but can tell you are not sold on Freddie yet why?....my only worry on him is his awareness around him he got hurt and knocked out if that keeps going on he wont last long...oh and with a few backman going down Freddie could play back

Trying to find out what our practice match schedule is for the VFL side. Nothing on our website or the VFL website, but noticed on Williamstown's website they have a practice match against us scheduled on the 21st March at GMHBA Stadium.

Trying to find out what our practice match schedule is for the VFL side. Nothing on our website or the VFL website, but noticed on Williamstown's website they have a practice match against us scheduled on the 21st March at GMHBA Stadium.

I heard there’s VFL match before AFL match in Colac.

Do any of the VFl games get T.V time or streamed??. Would love to watch a few this year but being in QLD that is impossible live

Some games get live-streamed on YouTube or the VFL website.

Do any of the VFl games get T.V time or streamed??. Would love to watch a few this year but being in QLD that is impossible live

Yes they get televised if you are a team like Richmond

If you are Geelong - then it's kinda like * ya & ya fans. Or at least that's how it feels at times - could also be that we have been down a bit in the VFL over recent seasons so haven't been as deserving of televised games, though it would be good to see some

I think they also do stream games - might just have to keep an eye on the VFL website for that schedule and hopefully they give us an eye sooner than later so we can advertise said schedule on here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back