2nds VFL: Essendon Vs Richmond - 2:10 pm Saturday July 1st @ Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes ... and you say the same thng each day.
There is a way to play Miles.
It's pointless playing players who aren't getting a kick which some of our senior blokes do.
But just can continue with your neagtive rebuttals as always.
A fairly slow player who got to the ball 36 times ahead of his opponent. Slowness has killed him ;)

Who are you pushing out of the senior team to make way for Miles? Don't make it silly by suggesting he can play forward. Genuine question.

We font really have any do we?
Griffiths well I doubt he'll play again, Elton is injured, Chol miles off, Moore injured and not close.
Think it looks like Garthwaite will get next crack when it happens. Either that or Soldo to change with Nank.
The way I see it we have to adapt to what we actually do have, which we are doing pretty well.
Think it's pretty clear where our trading will be directed! And a handfulk of our draft picks too most likely. It's actually another thing that is working against a poor bugger like Miles.
I'm sure he will fit in at a club with a different style.

Doesn't take much for a list to change, should Graham push on i would hope the flow on would be for substancial minutes for Dusty down forward, thats changes our look considerably.

I would give Garth a run ASAP, i cant see us pushing deep into finals without another tall up forward..

I dont want to be a party pooper but i cant see Chol making it in the AFL...
He will probably get delisted at the end of this year TBH
Agree. He won't make it.

8 tackles is a great sign from Graham. Does anyone know what sort of game time % he played?

i watched most of the game and id say he played around 70% game time

complete guess mind you

Again while we are winning why should miles come in the side? Did you actually watch the vfl game or only look at the stats? Miles even at vfl level looks slow. Really again is that simple. Certain posters over rate miles significantly
Caddy of all people looked faster than Miles on the weekend and he's definitely one of our slower (may even be slowest) players in the senior team.

I like some of Essendons kids but I just can't see it with this Francis.
I've seen him play only 5-6 times admittedly.
It really surprised me to hear where he was drafted though I had no idea.

I remember his draft report in his draft year, huge on intercept marks, and marking generally really good. I assume Bombers thought they had the next McGovern in their hands. I reckon he's 50/50 to make it, third tall either up forward or back is where he will be from the few AFL games i watched him play

I remember his draft report in his draft year, huge on intercept marks, and marking generally really good. I assume Bombers thought they had the next McGovern in their hands. I reckon he's 50/50 to make it, third tall either up forward or back is where he will be from the few AFL games i watched him play

agree with everything you said, hes also got absolutely no tank

By the way your talking surely with such poor talls we must by 16th on the ladder.
Aaahhhh noooo! What again does this have to do with what I stated?
Again stick to the topic by first making a simple effort to read it.
Now who are these talls ?
Here I will simplify it for you and go and read Hot tigers educated response.

It's all attitude with Francis. Got by on talent alone at under 18 level but now looks out of his depth against plodders who just work harder.

It's all attitude with Francis. Got by on talent alone at under 18 level but now looks out of his depth against plodders who just work harder.
Sounds similar to Lennon

Who are you pushing out of the senior team to make way for Miles? Don't make it silly by suggesting he can play forward. Genuine question.

He plays as an extra midfielder.
I believe we have one small forward too many and Castagna would go (and I think you could easily give Miles Edwards' time in the middle).
I'd play him ahead of Markov.
I'd play him ahead of Rioli, who offered nothing on Saturday night outside one goal.
You can always find room for a good midfielder. You won't agree - and we know we'd never do it - but like Choco last week, I would play Miles ahead of both Prestia and Caddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again while we are winning why should miles come in the side? Did you actually watch the vfl game or only look at the stats? Miles even at vfl level looks slow. Really again is that simple. Certain posters over rate miles significantly

Hey Meathead ... I was actually at the VFL watching! Were you????
What I saw was Miles being a class above everyone else on the ground, working his butt off and continually pumping us forward.
You're worse than the other bloke on here who evaluates the VFL games and keeps writing average game by Miles.
I'll put my faith in what McRae has to say about Miles's game each week, which is lavish in praise, as opposed to blokes like you who have an agenda.
If you can't see that Miles' games was very good on Saturday you simply don't know football.

He plays as an extra midfielder.
I believe we have one small forward too many and Castagna would go (and I think you could easily give Miles Edwards' time in the middle).
I'd play him ahead of Markov.
I'd play him ahead of Rioli, who offered nothing on Saturday night outside one goal.
You can always find room for a good midfielder. You won't agree - and we know we'd never do it - but like Choco last week, I would play Miles ahead of both Prestia and Caddy.

We know Miles is a good midfielder, but is he the right midfielder? I can only see him coming in if there is a opportunity through injury. He is most definitely next cab off the rank.
Markov plays a different position.
The beauty about our season is that we can afford to carry Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Bolton, Stengle and other youngsters through a few form slumps and get as many games into them as possible. As harsh as this is on Miles, they are our future and Miles isn't. After 50 games we may find Bolton becomes an option in the midfield. Who knows, at the very least they become better players. Now is the time to do it. The buzz they generate is also infectious.
As the Pies are starting to find out, its as much about having the right midfielders with the right qualities to execute your game plan than just having a truck load of midfielders in the team.

I would take out 1 of the small forwards. There are too many of them IMO.

We have 5 in the side (4 young ones plus Lloyd). I think 3 young ones and just rotate them all around and I don't think we lose anything out of that. I think they can all do with the odd break too.

What I saw was Miles being a class above everyone else on the ground, working his butt off and continually pumping us forward.
You're worse than the other bloke on here who evaluates the VFL games and keeps writing average game by Miles.
I'll put my faith in what McRae has to say about Miles's game each week, which is lavish in praise, as opposed to blokes like you who have an agenda.
If you can't see that Miles' games was very good on Saturday you simply don't know football.

Dimma mentioned Miles in his presser too...although I can't see prestia getting dropped, he must be due for another rest soon. Miles could still have a massive say for us this year. He's one midfield injury away from being straight back in.

I would take out 1 of the small forwards. There are too many of them IMO.

We have 5 in the side (4 young ones plus Lloyd). I think 3 young ones and just rotate them all around and I don't think we lose anything out of that. I think they can all do with the odd break too.

We almost have 6 - Rioli, Stengle, Castagna, Butler, Edwards and Lloyd. It's a bit of overkill. Castagna stays as he is the best hit up forward of all of them and we need it.... he's the worst by foot of all of them unfortunately. So maybe it's Lloyd that goes.

I like Miles but still get concerned that he just gets chopped up the other way. Against a slower Saints midfield, it would be ok imo.... Might need him in as we got smashed in contested ball on Sat night and that is one thing he does very very well. Markov wasn't great so perhaps they can shuffle some things around to allow Miles in.

Personally I'd love to see us bring in another tall to ensure Carlisle/Brown don't drop off too easily.... Not sure who. Garthwaite potentially but may be too raw still. Soldo perhaps? Longer looked very sore by the end of the Freo game and this would help ease the load on Nank which could be critical by season's end...

Completely agree GDust, in a game that was a real grind all day Milesy was 'in', 'under', and 'at' every contest for 4 qtrs and was clearly the BOG, if he wasn't there, we lose by 4 gls, gutsy and talented.

Miles was good on Saturday and played above vfl level. Doesn't change the fact that we are 4th and there isn't a spot for him in the side.

Miles was good on Saturday and played above vfl level. Doesn't change the fact that we are 4th and there isn't a spot for him in the side.

F*** me .... make up[ your mind.
Your first post reads: Did you actually watch the vfl game or only look at the stats? Miles even at vfl level looks slow. Really again is that simple.
Then you posted: Miles was good on Saturday and played above vfl level.
These two posts would appear to be at odds. He can't be ordinary and then an hour later above VFL standard.
Then again it's what you do ...... you rarely read posts, just check which name is posting and then disagree if it's me or a few others. As transparent as they come!

F*** me .... make up[ your mind.
Your first post reads: Did you actually watch the vfl game or only look at the stats? Miles even at vfl level looks slow. Really again is that simple.
Then you posted: Miles was good on Saturday and played above vfl level.
These two posts would appear to be at odds. He can't be ordinary and then an hour later above VFL standard.
Then again it's what you do ...... you rarely read posts, just check which name is posting and then disagree if it's me or a few others. As transparent as they come!
Makes perfect sense actually buddy. Miles was excellent at vfl level, doesn't change the fact he is still slow. Being slow at vfl level is a non issue. However at afl level it can cost you. Again pretty simple explanation why he isn't in the side. Fairly slow, pure inside mid with little versatility. Will be perfect if we cop an injury. Until then.

We know Miles is a good midfielder, but is he the right midfielder? I can only see him coming in if there is a opportunity through injury. He is most definitely next cab off the rank.
Markov plays a different position.
The beauty about our season is that we can afford to carry Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Bolton, Stengle and other youngsters through a few form slumps and get as many games into them as possible. As harsh as this is on Miles, they are our future and Miles isn't. After 50 games we may find Bolton becomes an option in the midfield. Who knows, at the very least they become better players. Now is the time to do it. The buzz they generate is also infectious.
As the Pies are starting to find out, its as much about having the right midfielders with the right qualities to execute your game plan than just having a truck load of midfielders in the team.

Miles is only 25 mate. Bit of a stretch not saying he can't be part of our future. Having a player of his quality in the reserves hurts me a little for some reason despite the wins. He is doing everything right at the moment. Would love to see him get a crack at it. We could give Prestia/Caddy a rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back