2nds VFL Round 6 - Bendigo Bombers v Geelong, Queen Elizabeth Oval, 6:30PM Friday 27 April

Remove this Banner Ad

With his 9 goal haul, Brown's sitting on top of the VFL goalkicking ladder with 19 goals from 4 games, currently 1 ahead of Chris Cain from Port Melbourne, who's played 5 games and plays against the Northern Blues tomorrow afternoon.

Would be a while since we've had the leading goalkicker in both the AFL and VFL, even if it is for a day or so.

9 goals sounds great but how many kicks , marks etc . Did he just mark and nail them or were there some crumbs. The highlights of a match on the web recently showed him getting to the base of Walkers feet and kicked a few without contesting the mark.
I suppose what Im asking is - is the style that he kicked them in reproducible in the AFL. The defenders are a lot tougher there.

Anyway , its an awesome effort and although I seriously doubt he would depart for elsewhere , Id say we must now try to find a way to get him into the A's.

9 goals sounds great but how many kicks , marks etc . Did he just mark and nail them or were there some crumbs. The highlights of a match on the web recently showed him getting to the base of Walkers feet and kicked a few without contesting the mark.
I suppose what Im asking is - is the style that he kicked them in reproducible in the AFL. The defenders are a lot tougher there.

I caught about 3/4 of the game amidst wrangling my 3 young kids tonight and from what i saw, most of Mitch's goals came from uncontested marks, largely due to bendigo being poor rather than brilliant positioning. His kicking is nice but he won't get the uncontested marks as freely in the seniors. Still, I reckon he is worth a sustained run in the ones.

Nothing to suggest that he won't get uncontested marks if he presents as a leading option or third tall alongside Hawkins/Podsiadly combination.

The facts speak for themselves....this kid has just kicked bucket loads of goals in the VFL since the very first day he walked into the club, there is no doubt he is ready for the next step up and needs to be given the opportunity and time to do so.

Get him in there and lets judge him after 20 or so games. However, looks very promising.

Anyone got any news about Schroder injury? Just mentioned in paper that he copped something......

Very exciting this year in the VFL, we have got a core group who are now starting to gel together in the fashion of the boys in 2003.....Depth at this club is looking unbelievable.

I caught about 3/4 of the game amidst wrangling my 3 young kids tonight and from what i saw, most of Mitch's goals came from uncontested marks, largely due to bendigo being poor rather than brilliant positioning. His kicking is nice but he won't get the uncontested marks as freely in the seniors. Still, I reckon he is worth a sustained run in the ones.

Thanks , this what I was thinking. The game is more blocked up and he will find it tougher in the one's. Having said that , when on he needs very few shot to hurt an opponent and if he can draw defender to him what's that do for the Hawkpod.

The question is does his height unbalance the side. Do we lose defensive pressure? Does it restrict us to one ruck? Do we lose midfield run with an extra tall. Does it restrict us further on who is the sub?

Its something we will need to find an answer to as I think he just pushed his way in. 9 goals means he must play next week.

Thanks , this what I was thinking. The game is more blocked up and he will find it tougher in the one's. Having said that , when on he needs very few shot to hurt an opponent and if he can draw defender to him what's that do for the Hawkpod.

The question is does his height unbalance the side. Do we lose defensive pressure? Does it restrict us to one ruck? Do we lose midfield run with an extra tall. Does it restrict us further on who is the sub?

Its something we will need to find an answer to as I think he just pushed his way in. 9 goals means he must play next week.

We are in the fortunate position to be playing the Dees next week, but I just can't see who we would be dropping to make way, unless there's an injury, or one of the talls needs resting (or one of the oldies.)

Looks like Wojo will also be back next week - so great to see.

We are in the fortunate position to be playing the Dees next week, but I just can't see who we would be dropping to make way, unless there's an injury, or one of the talls needs resting (or one of the oldies.)

Looks like Wojo will also be back next week - so great to see.

sj out brown in

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on Cowan this year....was impressed with him at senior level last year but seems to be out of favour somewhat when people start talking of elevation. Where is he playing in the two's?

Lets get Wojo and Brown in next week.....Probably see someone like SJ/Chap/Corey get a rest.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on Cowan this year....was impressed with him at senior level last year but seems to be out of favour somewhat when people start talking of elevation. Where is he playing in the two's?

Lets get Wojo and Brown in next week.....Probably see someone like SJ/Chap/Corey get a rest.

He isn't, has an injury, might be ankle/achilles I think.

He's rated, Scott talked about him on the tweet segment recently as one of the kids they'd like to play soon.

This year has a similar feel to 2007 about it in both the AFL and VFL.

Would be awesome to get the same result!

It sure would be.

Looking back, we won the VFL grand final in 2002, and that side contained the nucleus of the side who won the AFL grand final in 2007 (SJ, Bartel, Kelly, Ablett, Chapman and J.Hunt). The VFL premiership side in 2007 had several players who were to play a big part of winning the AFL grand final last year (Hawkins, Lonergan, West and Varcoe.)

If we were to give it a good shake this year, maybe the current VFL side could contain the nucleus of our next premiership side at AFL level.

Originally Posted by Gaz_Brownlow

He isn't, has an injury, might be ankle/achilles I think.

He's rated, Scott talked about him on the tweet segment recently as one of the kids they'd like to play soon.

I don't know how you are using the term "elevation" but it is generally used of rookies being elevated to the senior list. That could be one of the reasons why he has not been mentioned in that context as the likes of Walker, Bathie and Stringer, Burbury and the like have.

The other reason is as Pure_Ownage has outlined above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have any information on how Jordan Schroder went on Friday night? I have seen nothing in the reports.

Not sure he made it onto the field Tr. Quote from our website:

However, pick No. 48 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft Jordan Murdoch broke his finger in the warm up to Friday night's game and 2010 draftee Jordan Schroder hurt his ankle.
I'm sure RR will gives us the full story in due course.

Not sure he made it onto the field Tr. Quote from our website:

I'm sure RR will gives us the full story in due course.

Judging by this photo on RR's facebook page, Schroder was definitely playing. Either that or the Bendigo player was running through our huddle in the warm-up.

Photos are up on http://www.facebook.com/ArjOnlineImages ...

Some thoughts...
we didn't play that well overall IMO.. other than Wojcinski, our backline lacked its usual run and zip.. so the margin could have been even bigger

1) Mitch Brown.. gun. Just did some things I've not seen from him before. One of the best set shots at the club. Watch his season. Should come in for Johnno
6) Lincoln McCarthy.. few very nice thing before his injury. definitely has the x-factor about his game and doesn't just let things happen but makes them.
23) Orren Stephenson.. very good game, dominated the ruck and looked good up forward. Nice snap at goal and got into a brawl with Rick Ladson
25) Tom Gillies.. best game I've seen him play. Won the one on ones and created plenty of rebound and zip early. Very Scarlo like game by him.
39) Shane Kersten.. can play. Two beautiful long bombs from outside 50m. Strong pair of hands.
40) David Wojcinski.. will come in for Selwood. His run and carry from down back excited fans. Back to his best.
42) Josh Walker.. struggled to get into the game due to the dominance of Brown, but still finished up with 4gls. Smart around goals and a good tank.

The 'Burbs Raptor.....what do we think? Thought he was very likely in the NAB cup and just looks one of those players who seems to have more time than others. Would be interested to see his development.

The other one is Cowan? Haven't heard anything on him this year so far....

AA for a newcomer?

we saw in last years finals campaign, even playing half the series on one leg he added 6 goals and the 19 disposals.

Matchwinner even if has a poor game will still setup a couple and impact a game when it's on the line

The AA is too busy telling umpires what to do, giving away stupid free kicks and directing traffic on the field. He might be better served concentrating on getting the bloody ball more. One week in the seconds might remove that crap from his game.

The newcomer has just kicked 9 goals in the seconds and has kicked the door down to selection. He must come in against Melbourne and I'm not bothered whether he replaces Johnson or Stokes as long as he comes in.

Great to see some tall players pushin for senior consideration, reckon young Walker deserves to be elevated, just seems to contribute every week and hit the packs hard.

I think we could afford to play Brown as a pocket/flanker to add marking power up forward next week against the Dees, he's also pretty quick so would fit on a flank.

Great news bout Orren, thought his tackling second efforts were great but needs to move quicker to offense marking positions to add that foil to his game and become a weapon as a loose tall. After a great game might get the nod next week to assist West.

Rapped that Kersten kicked a couple, after a slow start with a few niggles he's finding his feet.
I would love to see this kid play the Jack Darling role for us as the dangerous small/tall
with the power build along side the Hawk in years to come.

I reckon some people under rate the importance of a winning and successful VFL side. I have been waiting for a good VFL side for a few years now and it seems this year will see us finally get one.

Winning breeds winning. It creates belief and confidence and also means we have a lot of guys capable of coming thru to the seniors - and if given opportunity we get a rebuild of players of roughly the same age - that can build over a few years.

People have been saying Mitch Brown is a gun and it seems finally he may deserve this tag. Injury has prevented him from showing his wares often enough.

If Walker and Bathie kick on we have some good tals coming thru.

Gillies must have shown something to be in the best list - so that is also encouraging for the future backline.

I like the sound of Kersten as well.

I we get back Simpson and he plays well - then the second's list lloks pretty good.

Just looking for a strong mid to come thru now.

If Varcoe and Menzel come back - and Wojo plays in the seniors side soon - we will obviously drop some players out of the seniors to make way for them. Wow - the VFL list will look pretty awesome then.

Can see a good result come finals for the Cat's VFL side this season.

If stokes is out , who could replace him on form. Hogan? Burbury? Oh it would have to be Wojo wouldn't it.
Although it’s grist for the forum mill I’m not big on second guessing selectors cos we don’t have the first hand info or the strategic knowledge.

You’d think Wojo but Chris has said he wants a list of 30 plus AFL standard players from which to choose so more game time for a young gun isn’t out of the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back