Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

wait just going back a bit

did the 81 year old who set the outbreak off in Adelaide actually just go to Argentina for a holiday?

How the fu** does that happen???

I think the 81 year old had been in Argentina for 18 months and the young girl went over in February to visit him.

What is keeping Australians overseas currently? If we were to break down the stats would it show 57% don't have the money to buy the ticket, 23% can't get a hotel quarantine position/can't afford it, 10% don't have any flights to Australia available from where they are?
We keep being told that there are more than 30000 Australians trying to get home. But they are not the same 30000. Over 500000 have returned since March last year. That’s not to say it’s easy though.

Is it though? What do you base that on?

I agree that it's difficult to get real data on how dangerous it is for younger people - but the numbers we do have show that whilst the flu kills an estimated 300,000-650,000 people every year, COVID killed an estimated 3,000,000 in a year when the whole planet was largely locked down.

This debate is valid, but inaccurate and misleading statements don't help.

It's clearly far, far worse than the flu.

COVID has killed 5 times more people than the flu does in a year - all whilst lockdowns have been in place. These same restrictions and measures have pretty much eradicated the flu.

So being a seasonal virus seems completely irrelevant to the debate.

The question is how many young people would die if we opened up? We know old people are vulnerable, but what about everyone else?

Of course it's worse than the flu. But the flu is nothing. I don't know anyone who has ever died from it. Know people that have died from lifestyle cancers and heart disease but not the flu.

COVID isn't much to worry about though unless you're in your 80s or 90s and have comorbidities.

40,000 people returned to Australia in June alone. “Stranded” my arse. I know someone who was home last Christmas as a stranded traveller, left again and now looking to return for Christmas again.

12 million people now in lockdown.

Close absolutely everything until vaccinated.

Delta is far to contagious. We cannot live like this. 1-2 cases we are again in a “snap” lockdown.

thousands of red zones permits granted and now 6 million Victorians in lockdown..

“Oh but it was Brought in by freight”

yes correct, but get rid of 40,000 returned travellers all quarantine resources can be put towards making freight 100% safe.

We cannot keep locking down

The reality is we will be in and out of lockdowns until early next year when hopefully the vaccine % increases

The way it is unfortunately

UK is having dozens of COVID deaths everyday and most people have been vaccinated. Not to mention it's the middle of summer when COVID is at its weakest.

So if governments and people in Australia can't live with any COVID risk right now when we've had 3 deaths this year, there will still be lockdowns and restrictions when every has been vaccinated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UK is having dozens of COVID deaths everyday and most people have been vaccinated. Not to mention it's the middle of summer when COVID is at its weakest.

So if governments and people in Australia can't live with any COVID risk right now when we've had 3 deaths this year, there will still be lockdowns and restrictions when every has been vaccinated.

I think part of the reason the money has dried up for support of lockdowns is so people start pulling back from their support of those lockdowns - the UK and USA opened up because the people decided their back to normal is more important to them than the fear of the virus. Time will tell though because as they get into winter and their cases go up more (they are planning for 100,000 cases a day) then if the people are still not interested in buying into the fear - they will officially have moved on.

I think there are governments here that would lockdown at the drop of a hat if there was government payments for the people, the people will cheer it on - keep us safe, pay us money, can't be kicked out - when can we vote for you again?

There are governments that want to get back to normal but don't want to be labeled with the death brush because we have the culture here right now that every covid death is preventable and someone's fault. Zero deaths is not only achievable it's realistic and the goal.

It's just so easy to say "clearly they need to do better" and "more should be done" when offering zero alternative plan - full opposition points awarded but no alternative option for the voters.

Unfortunately people don't see political games for what they are, or where they stand in those games.

You trust the experts that the government tell you to.

Now in your experience what sort people want to get into politics as a career, you know, the ones at university who joined the Young Liberals and such?

That is who you put your faith in.
oh i suppose i should put my faith in randos who make ranty youtube videos and placards written in crayon on cardboard boxes instead of the countless worldwide medical experts, some of whom advise (but are not necessarily employed by) the government?

oh i suppose i should put my faith in randos who make ranty youtube videos and placards written in crayon on cardboard boxes instead of the countless worldwide medical experts, some of whom advise (but are not necessarily employed by) the government?

One of those two options you've chosen is clear about any motives and influences they have.

The other works for the government and openly admits to telling you what they think you need to hear, not what is the truth.

You're a clueless dolt if you actually believe that. The only freedom left in America is in the Red states.

I'm curious if PrisonBars is playing stupid or is that what the Australian media has actually been telling folks about politics in America? He obviously couldn't be more wrong. In fact, his commentary is laughable.

We have two parties: The Republicans, while not perfect, stand for freedom. The Democrats, who are Communist-level far-left at this point, oppose everything to do with personal freedom and responsibility. EVERYTHING.

Want an example? Florida and Texas are two of the most conservative states in the US. Both have been open since last summer. No lockdowns and limited mask restrictions in public. Neither state has an income tax and both rigorously support your right to bear arms (own guns). California and New York are two of our most liberal states. Both were locked down for the better part of 12 months with public-use restrictions across the board. Both have some of the highest state tax burdens and the most restrictive gun laws in the country. Does that help you PrisonBars? Can you see which states are free and which are less so?

Even the less informed in America know that Democrats are all about big government, race-baiting, and policies that encroach on the freedoms of all Americans. I think you'll learn in the very near future just how low-down they actually are.

Might have helped if you had actually responded to me champ and I might have seen this. From what I understand freedom is about not wearing masks, not paying tax, and the ability to own hand cannons. What's the Republican views on abortion access, voting rights, the right to to protest the government/ police? The party of freedom must be huge on those issues. HUGE!

Nice straw man.

The point is, it’s naive to think the government (which is made up of people just as fallible as the rest of us) is to be followed unquestioningly.

Nice straw man.

The point is, it’s naive to think the government (which is made up of people just as fallible as the rest of us) is to be followed unquestioningly.
Sure

but when its:
A) worldwide medical experts, some of whom advise the government
against
B) conspiracy theorist who thinks that covid is just the flu despite it killing more people in 3 months in a single state than the flu killed in all of australia in an entire year in 2017, 18 and 19
then I know who I will trust.

I didnt trust trump and all his ramblings about covid, despite him being the president of america, because it was clearly against the overwhelming medical advice.

Scomo only gets a pass financial support, and the initial delegation to states was ok.

Everywhere else the federal government has been an abject failure

If by pass, you mean passed the responsibility on to others like everything else. Yes I agree, he did use the union/ former Labor MPs plans for economic stimulus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back