Victorian Football Association (VFA) results and ladders

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be interested to know how Sunshine recovered from that season, they had a few decent finishes after that before folding.

The short answer is a new coach (Ron Brown) and a few good recruits, including a full-forward (Hugh Litchfield) who kicked 100+ goals in 1985 and 1986. It was quite a turnaround for Sunshine, as they managed just 6 wins (and 65 losses!) from 1981 to 1984, but managed to reach the finals each season from 1985 to 1988.

I know, right? I have friends who scream black and blue that the only decent game if football is a close one.

I call bullshit on that. I would have loved to have been at a game watching someone kick 52 goals.

Or have a score pairing of say 664-8 which I would love.

Another one I'd like to see is say 209-202.

Do you know if these books have scores?

The flyer spruiks complete list of games played, but as the first volume only goes to 1876 I suspect that you only get the particular era until volume four turns includes the 'complete' record.

It also mentions the goalkickers from each match and all senior players between 1858 and 1896, but again I'd say you have to wait for the last volume to get the full picture.

I have volume one.
Very indepth research

Each year has the club and the players who played during that year
Then there is each game with the scores and goalkickers and best players.

I believe the last volume will be where you get the overview of every player, their years, goals

-Rhett Bartlett
www.footytimeline.com

The flyer spruiks complete list of games played, but as the first volume only goes to 1876 I suspect that you only get the particular era until volume four turns includes the 'complete' record.

It also mentions the goalkickers from each match and all senior players between 1858 and 1896, but again I'd say you have to wait for the last volume to get the full picture.

What is the highest ever score in the VFA (seniors) up to 1896?

What is the highest ever score in the VFA (seniors)?

Here are the three highest VFA scores for each period:

1877-1896
1. 19-12 North Melbourne vs Richmond (4-4) 15-8-1896 at North Melbourne
2. 18-18 South Melbourne vs Melbourne (1-3) 1-9-1888 at the Friendly Societies' Ground
3. 17-8 South Melbourne vs Carlton (6-5) 22-7-1893 at the MCG

1897-1995 (Seniors)
1. 55-17-347 Williamstown vs Camberwell (4-8-32) 10-8-1986 at Camberwell
2. 52-31-343 Waverley vs Sunshine (8-5-53) 5-4-1981 at Waverley
3. 53-15-333 Brunswick vs Sunshine (12-6-78) 9-4-1989

Here are the three highest VFA scores for each period:

1877-1896
1. 19-12 North Melbourne vs Richmond (4-4) 15-8-1896 at North Melbourne
2. 18-18 South Melbourne vs Melbourne (1-3) 1-9-1888 at the Friendly Societies' Ground
3. 17-8 South Melbourne vs Carlton (6-5) 22-7-1893 at the MCG

1897-1995 (Seniors)
1. 55-17-347 Williamstown vs Camberwell (4-8-32) 10-8-1986 at Camberwell
2. 52-31-343 Waverley vs Sunshine (8-5-53) 5-4-1981 at Waverley
3. 53-15-333 Brunswick vs Sunshine (12-6-78) 9-4-1989

Do we know where the Friendly Societies Ground was ?

I know, right? I have friends who scream black and blue that the only decent game if football is a close one.

I call bullshit on that. I would have loved to have been at a game watching someone kick 52 goals.

I was at that game. It was very weird. Tony Sullivan (ex-Demon) had taken over as captain/coach at Waverley, so we had high hopes.
At qtr time we had 13 goals on the board and our glamor full-forward had 6. It was great!
At half-time we had 30 goals on the board, and the full-forward had 13. By then it was sad. And Sullivan did his knee.

Very memorable, but not for the right reasons.

I have been compiling VFA results / ladders / head to head for several years now and have completed 1897-1933 with around 20 other seasons up until 2012. All my records have been derived from publications mainly newspapers and are unverified at this stage. Purely statistical, no indepth stories behid the scores or players or goalkickers etc. It will take several more years to complete and verify. Been fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been compiling VFA results / ladders / head to head for several years now and have completed 1897-1933 with around 20 other seasons up until 2012. All my records have been derived from publications mainly newspapers and are unverified at this stage. Purely statistical, no indepth stories behid the scores or players or goalkickers etc. It will take several more years to complete and verify. Been fun.
Assuming you know about this?
http://www.thegapchessclub.org.au/vfa/

I'm also compiling VFA Results. Nothing fancy at this stage, but I would like to start from 1897 up to now (VFL). My question is that the Age and the Argus are great for results, and the AFL Record is good from 2000 onwards. So it seems there is a gap from 1990 to 1999 in accessing results. Does anybody have any ideas (apart from buying back copies of the Age, etc).
There seems to be a fair bit of interest in compiling the complete history of the VFA/VFL. If I can help in any way please let me know.

I'm also compiling VFA Results. Nothing fancy at this stage, but I would like to start from 1897 up to now (VFL). My question is that the Age and the Argus are great for results, and the AFL Record is good from 2000 onwards. So it seems there is a gap from 1990 to 1999 in accessing results. Does anybody have any ideas (apart from buying back copies of the Age, etc).
There seems to be a fair bit of interest in compiling the complete history of the VFA/VFL. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Look at buying yourself a myriad of Inside Footy's anywhere.

Try The Age News Store 'Archive Search' http://newsstore.theage.com.au/apps/newsSearch.ac?sy=age

Found Example:
VFA TEAMS

Date: 31/08/1995
Words: 201 Publication: The Age
Section: Friday Football
Page: 30
Frankston v Werribee at Victoria Park, Saturday at 2 pm.
Frankston: B: Charles, Freeman, Lance. HB: Atkinson, D.Ryan, Pollock. C: Pickering, Millane, Anthony. HF: Wolfe, L. Taylor, Saliba. F: Mead, S. Ryan, Mackay. Foll: Winkel, Burnell, B. Bowey. Inter: Cox, Hopgood, Kennedy, McCarthy, Webb, G.
O'Neil.
Werribee: B: Wilkins, Fitzpatrick, Shannon. HB: Roach, Wright, May. C: Eames, Mitchell, Ryan. HF: Purcell, Button, A. Taylor.
F: Gladman, Aziz, Williams. Foll: McDonald, O'Connor, Satterley.
Inter: McCarthy, Murphy, Puli, Edwards, M. Ballan, Yze.

Alternatively contact your local public library and ask where the nearest collection of past editions of the Age or Sun/Herald-Sun is kept on micofilm, CD-Rom or print.

A question for VFA1877.
I have started to cross check my results, and create ladders. I am up to 1931 so far. Almost every year, my final ladders vary with yours (usually only a few points here or there). Have you had a chance to verify your ladders yet. I note that in the Argus, and the Age, their ladders don't seem to be particularly accurate. I could be out by one point with one team in one Round, but magically, the next round, the typo? has been fixed - but not in all cases.

A question for VFA1877.
I have started to cross check my results, and create ladders. I am up to 1931 so far. Almost every year, my final ladders vary with yours (usually only a few points here or there). Have you had a chance to verify your ladders yet. I note that in the Argus, and the Age, their ladders don't seem to be particularly accurate. I could be out by one point with one team in one Round, but magically, the next round, the typo? has been fixed - but not in all cases.
For seasons on my website where only the ladders and final results appear, and not the home & away results (ie from 1898 onwards), I assumed ladders in the Argus/Age were correct if the points for and against reconciled. Only for seasons where there were discrepancies (which was about 50% of seasons) did I reconcile the results. My experience has also been that it is not uncommon for ladders in the newspapers to contain minor inaccuracies.

Looks like AustralianFootball (successor to FullPointsFooty) have uploaded the complete 1897 and 1898 VFA seasons.

http://australianfootball.com/seasons/season/VFA/1898/

I have contacted them and it seems they have every score from every VFA match from 1877-1995 and they will be uploaded over the coming weeks. So something to look forward to.

More great scores to come.

HELL YEAH!

Also, are you related to Andrew Gigacz aka Gigs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back