AFL Autopsy Vs. Carlton (Round 4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts had his most fortunate game of his career. Gartlett ran around like a headless chook because no one was there to give him the ball.

Teams are definitely targeting Heppell's "softness" but he did OK I think yesterday.

If you exclude Melbourne, are Carlton the softest bunch going around? Some of their efforts were deplorable yesterday.

I don't mind Heppell being tested.. will make him a better player in the long run.

I actually thought his disposal was better today, less around the corner cute kicks and more direct penetrating kicks to strong targets.

22 disposals, 9 contested and 5 tackles from a 19 year old 2nd year player? I'd take that EVERY week!!

The fact that he looks like he belongs out there and wins more contests than he loses is the biggest plus! People shouldn't forget what other guys his age/experience are doing. He is an absolute star and will be a GUN!

There is a difference between Heppel protecting himself or being told tobe the one to receive a handball outside congestion and actually being "soft".

I cannot remember him avoiding an issue. The one against North earlier this year just looked bad but it was not about "dogging" it.

He certainly absorbed some work yesterday and even stood up in a few tackles.

* Only play our best footy at in the comforts of the Dome
* April Premiers to tear us a new one.....at least by 10 goals or more
* We're a team not capable of being competitive in the VFL
* Worst 3-0 team in history
* 3rd rate midfield
* Fletcher too old
* Crameri who??
* Stanton not worthy to be considered in with the 2012 elite players
* No backline able to contain the greatness of Betts, Garlett, Waite etc

myth-busted.jpg

I don't mind Heppell being tested.. will make him a better player in the long run.

I actually thought his disposal was better today, less around the corner cute kicks and more direct penetrating kicks to strong targets.

22 disposals, 9 contested and 5 tackles from a 19 year old 2nd year player? I'd take that EVERY week!!

The fact that he looks like he belongs out there and wins more contests than he loses is the biggest plus! People shouldn't forget what other guys his age/experience are doing. He is an absolute star and will be a GUN!
I didn't see exactly what was bad about him, this week.
He was much better than he was in rd 3, he was better in rd 3 than he was in rd 2, and better in rd 2 than 1.

Had a better game than all but about 3-4 of Carlton's players. If they "targeted" him, it didn't bloody work.

I was just super proud of our boys on Saturday! Against the odds, and our biggest rival. It was just sooo satisfying to show he comp that the "great contender" Carlton aren't bulletproof, and that the bombers on any given day, can beat any club!
Also had tears of joy for Stants continued beautiful form, and little Froggy Davey getting a little of his mojo back.

Haha yeah blatant deliberate by Fletch. Just look at his face when he looks back at the ump and sees that he hasn't been pinged. He knew he got away with one.

What people overlook, is that was Fletch's third effort in that passage of play - With about 10 minutes to go. This is intensity needed to play good AFL footy.

Thought it was a good game for Heppell's development - CFC played through his man and physically targetted him all day.

Got better as the game progressed - Probably his best game - He played well against the Kangaroos.

Yep, was happy with Monfries' overall contribution.

Dyson was servicable again. Finey went with about 75 minutes ago and, seriously, there isn't really anything wrong with Dyson as an AFL footballer these days. Sure, he isn't a best 22 player but we can do so much worse than putting this guy on a wing/half back. I was on about this last year but you need to assess the player he is today rather than killing him for the first 65 games he played. He puts his head over the ball and he is a reliable kick.

I was a little surprised by the aggression shown by Ryder. He put a few big hits on the opposition and seemed angry all day. This sort of attitude will significantly improve him as a player because presence is the one thing he hasn't displayed a lot of in his career.

Davey's performance was a nice surprise to me. I had written him off as an AFL player but it is clear that he is still a very dangerous small forward. It was the pressure of old from Davey and his ability to win the sprint back to goal will be invaluable.

It was good to see Hooker return to chopping off numerous opposition attacks and competing well in the air. His movement and kicking action looks different (which is a concern) but I think it is just about getting some time on the ground getting his hands on the ball (much like Pears) before he starts to look comfortable again.

It was perhaps the second time that the coaching panel has really out thought a superior opposition to give us the best chance to win a game.

It was an excellent day for the Essendon Football Club.

Was this before or after Robinson kneed him in the ribs, 3rd man up in the ruck???
I'd be pissed off and aggressive too;):thumbsu::thumbsu:

We used the corridor extremely well and our direct play, as opposed to hugging the boundary line meant we were a lot harder to defend against.

Loved Dyson's game and Hardingham showed a fair bit too even though Betts got on top late.

I'm struggling to see how Hille will get back in, given the tap work and form of both Bellchambers and Ryder. Some of T-Bell's tap work was sublime to watch and incredibly effective.

Got some pretty soft frees tho, to assist in his come back

Betts had his most fortunate game of his career. Gartlett ran around like a headless chook because no one was there to give him the ball.

Teams are definitely targeting Heppell's "softness" but he did OK I think yesterday.

If you exclude Melbourne, are Carlton the softest bunch going around? Some of their efforts were deplorable yesterday.
Wish he would get a haircut, that might toughen him up a bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised by the love for Monfries for this game. I'm generally a fan, and normally stick up for him, but this was our most tactical game so far, and Gus showed a complete lack of understanding of our gameplan. I think he was the only player to kick it long into the forwardline all day, which was just the epitome of stupid football given the numbers Carlton had down there. He still looks a bit lost in the zone, and doesn't get the idea of protecting a man in the space, not protecting the space alone. I'm not going to crucify him for the turnover on the HBF kicking into the corridor which I'm pretty sure led to a shot on goal, because everyone ****s up a kick now and again, but the more subtle things I don't think he has a fantastic grasp on.

I love the way the coaches are using him as a forward who goes into the guts late on, but I question his game smarts at times. Of course next week he'll play a brilliant tagging role on whoever's left on Collingwood's back flank and he'll cop criticism for only getting 12 touches and a goal.

Was this before or after Robinson kneed him in the ribs, 3rd man up in the ruck???
I'd be pissed off and aggressive too;):thumbsu::thumbsu:

He was aggressive all game, knocked a few blokes down. But he was pretty furious about that one. I have no idea how it wasn't a free kick.

He is looking really strong at the moment. Hasn't put on a whole lot of weight, but what he has added he is using really well.

Crameri could have kicked around 10 if not for some shocking posters and shanking it a couple times... Win felt like 50+ points, probably should have been, regardless we're 4-0, we beat Carltank, and seeing Blues fans leave at half time, priceless. :cool:

I took us at 1-39 points, so I'm kinda glad we took the foot off the gas toward the end....flogging them early and winning by 30 was perfect from my point of view :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back