DOB
16-08-1999
Weight
102 kg
Debut
-

Qld. boy ?
Gold Coast boy. Born and bred.

His dad is Gold Coast footy royalty. Troy Crossley is a Hall of Fame inductee with the Southport Sharks and played in multiple QAFL premierships for them. Rory Thompson is the same with his father also being a Southport HoFer and premiership player. They are the closest we'll get to father-son picks for a while.

I’ve pretty much said all i heard. There were others there like Evans but he just towed the company line
What I will say though is that it is clear the players have a better connection to dew than rocket. I worry a few of them are too used to losing though. The young guys are the future. Ballard and Brodie were excellent today I think the future is with them

You mean for the Northern Blues? ;)

Shaw and Thompson are very close buds. Rory was a groomsman at Shaw's wedding IIRC. They always used to go fishing together.
Yeah I'm good mates with Shawry cos of fishing just surprised he was at the function haha

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me neither - we’re a long way from wins.... but with 8 players missing with injury compared to round 1 against the roos, I think the young kids deserve some credit.
I wish I could turn up to work and get paid 100% of my wage for 25% effort
I'd probably go hard for a quarter too if it meant people were telling me I'd done a terrific job

Much prefer to see the effort of the last 3 weeks over the trash we seen before that.
Have found our legs in the last finally. Seeing kids like Ballard, Ainsworth, Brodie, Crossley and Powell showing signs of the players they could become.
Yep 2018 has been another disappointing year but another preseason into those kids, another preseason working with Dew. Hopefully a decent trade/draft period and a clean out of assisstant coaches then lets see what 2019 can do.

At least we can look at the kids and see a future with most of them. Some other bottom clubs can't say the same.

More from the after-match...
Weller is pushing for his brother to come back to the Suns.
Ah Chee loves the Gold Coast & reckons Melbourne is too cold. We shouldn't have to worry about him requesting a transfer to Victoria.
I asked Lemmens about the hospital handpasses he received from Schoenfeld. Lemmens reckons the first one was his own fault, because he called for it when he shouldn't have, but the next one was all Schoey's idea.
Brodie's been given feedback on what he needs to improve on.
Goober might look like he's 38, but he still talks like a teenager. He's so enthusiastic & is relishing his opportunity to play AFL.
May got a knock on his hip, but expects to be right for next week.

And from me...
I think May's injury yesterday unsettled the backline, as he couldn't keep up with Zeibell in the 2nd half. I reckon the injury might have led to May's gut punch on Higgins too. It seemed like he wanted to even up the ledger by hurting one of their blokes too.
Brodie showed enough to prove he should be in the team. So what if he can only play inside mid? Our other mids can play other positions, while Brodie's on the ground.
The umpires were again sucked in by a partisan crowd. We got a couple of lucky decisions just before half-time, but North had heaps more, especially early.
We missed a lot of set shots, but at least we got a few marks in scoring range.
We need more senior bodies & a couple more blokes with the ferocity of Lemmens & Holman. Could Mav Weller be one to play that role?

My 2 cents from the game,
Brodie played well, wish he took the time he had to make better decisions, 2 of his centre clearances he had more time and did a terrible hand pass and then missed a kick. That will come with experience but that was my only Issue with his game. I thought witts was great, midfield played well and touk and sexton followed Higgins around at every stoppage which is why he didn't have a huge impact and only had 7 kicks.
Lyons worked hard as always and the back line worked well again, just having the same issues going forward with our inability to lower eyes or find targets inside.
we should of got closer in the second quarter but least the effort was there

My 2 cents , May decision to hurt Higgins in defensive 50 zone is not wise and suck out young players energy when th scoreline are close.

As much I like May aggression , sometime he is just a dumb captain .

Can I also say I think Weller has been fantastic the last month or so, really love the way he takes on players. He can still learn a bit off Harbs but he has been great. Hope he gets some midfield minutes soon, his disposal is something we need through the middle

Can I also say I think Weller has been fantastic the last month or so, really love the way he takes on players. He can still learn a bit off Harbs but he has been great. Hope he gets some midfield minutes soon, his disposal is something we need through the middle

Given he can kick a ball and has decent pace why the hell hasn’t he been put in the midfield yet?

Given he can kick a ball and has decent pace why the hell hasn’t he been put in the midfield yet?
I think once KK comes back Weller moves straight onto the wing. Can only think it's a maturity thing for an under seige back line. Cooler, experienced head and no other real standouts for 2nd rebounding half back.

Weller and Harbrow Meter gains are among the best .

Vs St Kilda
Weller -556
Harbrow 464

Vs Hawthorn
Weller - 376
Harbrow - 448

Vs Collingwood
Weller -733
Harbrow - 567

This match
Weller -506
Harbrow- 566
--------
Two more of them playing on midfield flank , GC will improve.

Glad to see all the posters' positivity but I have to say I don't feel any closer to a win
I actually feel like we are. This game shouldve been a lot closer if wasnt for so many bad calls gifting the roos goals. I watched the pies bombers game and i dont think either team played that well. If the boys show up this week i think we're in with a shot... maybe

Positives
1. Young players getting opportunity and their performance makes me excited!

Ballard made some mistakes early but what a talent and competitor. Spoil on Daw and his crashing tackle were delighful to watch. Still missing 10 kg and tank but this week he also showed his speed. What pick would you draft him now? He sure looks top 10.

Powell. No way I would predict he plays this year. I am still worried that somebody will break him in half but look at his decisions and appetite for contest. Also running to May after his injury to touch his hand was great example of a team player.

Crossley - As everybody I love his appetite for contest and way he goes about his footy. He really struggles late in games but in 2 -3 years he will be something.

Brodie - I hope people saw his talent. It makes me excited for next year. Fiorini, Bowes, Brodie, Aisworth - all have potential to be A players. Actually Scrimshaw too. My pick for next year would be Fiorini. Personally, I think log-term Bowes will be a gun - understands game, makes correct decisions, makes impact. Next year extra 5 kg and improved tank should see Bowes spend more time in midfield.

2. The last 2 games we were not overun in the last quarter. It just tells me that 9 away games totally screw up our team. Lyons telling that he was fatigued is revealing.

3. Midfield stood up in the last 2 weeks. And that was against 2 better midfields. Besides Swallow, Lyons, internal growth next year makes me actually optimistic. Miller will in his 5th, Fiorini 4th, Bowes, Ainsworth, Brodie, Scheer 3rd year. For me Weller, Martin should be on the flank, also run through Hanley, Ah Chee. Ballard, Scrimshaw run there a bit too besides HB roles while developing. Then add Walsh, Smith, Scott in draft.

4. As disapointing the 1st qtr was the 2nd qtr was almost perfect. Easy missed shot were the only disappointment. I hope that was our future flashing in front of us. Hunting in pack was great to see (not always successful).

5. Weller is getting better and better. How far off pick 2? LDU does not play and Dow, Brayshaw, Cerra - all 3 years at least away.

Negatives

1. May's brain fades are very frustrating. It also seems he's not the smartest one on the field. Rischitelli telling him where he should be was telling. He also seems frustrated by team situation. I would actually be not completely surprised if he leaves us next year or even ask for trade this year. I hope I am wrong but body language is not great.

2. Lynch please make decision. Not good for a team and young players spirit. If Tom leaves we got to concerned about next year unsigned players - May, Wright, Martin, Miller. Even Harbrow could be issue this year. I hope Dew's new culture will convince them to stay.

3. Just pisses me off that no commentator mentions our injury list on top of our travel suicide. You could argue that Lynch, Bowes, Fiorini, Macpherson, Hall, KK, Rosa, Hanley are in best 22.

4. Even I now struggle to see what Young brings to our team in recent games. He needs a spell in NEAFL.

General
1. Hoping Scrimshaw gets opportunity soon. Lonergan too to decide if he stays or not.

2. Hanley, Bowes, Fiorini, Rosa, Ainsworth, KK should be back for Carlton's game round 19 - time to win again.

3. Just can't believe how many ridiculous trades are suggested in Carlon's and Lion's trade threads for GC pick 2. Just go there if you want some entertainment. I just hope GC is not so stupid.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back