Waite, should he get a harsher punishment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys, I think we should let this go. He clearly gasped and put his hand over his mouth because he had just remembered he forgot to put the bins out.

We've all been there.

No, give him a chance as it is his first offence. But if he does it again, throw the book at him.

The bigger issues are:

- How did Lewis get off? Does he have compromising pics of Andy D or something?!

- How did King get away with a $900 fine? If you kick someone it is like striking or arguably worse so he should have been charged normally with the incident classified as intentional, low impact and body contact.

IIRC that was in a marking contest and not on the ground when the ball was dead.
Anyway yeah, Waite kicked someone sometime, so that means all players have free reign to kick him. WTF point are you trying to make?

I suggest you go back and watch the vision, it wasn't in play, and if IIRC just after a goal had been kicked and the ball was in the middle.

Part of me says a warning first up and then second offense is a 1 week suspension.

However if he drew that kick in the forward line and kicks a goal from it, then ends up winning by under a goal, thats where i dont think the warning is a decent enough punishment.

Again as pointed out , King should also get something for a kick to the chest. That shouldnt be overlooked , he has started the whole saga

That sounds like a umpiring issue...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

well while we're on the subject of playing for free kicks how about selwoods dropping the knees to purposely get taken high? if he really likes getting taken high, I sure hope somebody obliges one of these days....

More importantly how the **** did Lewis get off? Similar to Jetta's. The hawk is still a protected bird.

Oh rubbish. You guys need to be careful what you wish for. The Lewis incident was embarrassing, he said so himself, but if you start rubbing players out for that, you open up a whole can of worms. You see players over-reacting all the time, trying to milk free kicks. Penalise them by awarding a free, yes, but if you start giving players games for that, then you'll be seeing 20 players rubbed out every week.

As for the Hawks being protected, get your hand off it. There is a rule that you're not allowed to push a player in the chest, so Goddard was lucky not to have a free against him. I'm glad it wasn't paid, but the umps could have easily done it. If I were an Essendon supporter, I really wouldn't be labeling other clubs as protected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King 1 week.
Waite a warning.
If people want to hang someone for staging then they should to do the same for lying about touching a ball on the goal line and other forms of dishonest play.
I reckon Waite got punnished for acting by not getting a free kick.
I didn't think Lewis' action was that bad. He's been publicly held to account so the message has got through. Again, he could have got a free kick had he not over acted.

How F Fyfe's bum can be suspendable is a much bigger issue than any of the staging. That was a 100% fair bump but for a stupid over reaction rule to the L Thomas bump.

IIRC that was in a marking contest and not on the ground when the ball was dead.
Anyway yeah, Waite kicked someone sometime, so that means all players have free reign to kick him. WTF point are you trying to make?
Nope, Both players were just standing there in the FWD Line well off the ball and Waite backkicked Mcguane right in the Jatz

Warning only, first time so no real big deal. Not a good look for King either, but I would argue what King did happens a lot during a match, plenty of times I see guys not so much kick but when on the ground push guys away with the bottom of their foot. Saw Ablett do it twice live on Saturday night to Crowley.

IIRC, didn't Jetta (Essendon) get cited and miss a week for staging in one game against the Tiges two seasons ago?

EDIT: It was a fine not suspension

Last edited:
Nope. It's not like there was no contact.

Especially so because King kicked out at him (I could understand if it was a bump and he got hit in the shoulder, but held his head) - a kick is not something the AFL or anyone involved in the sport would want to see. I remember Fyfe getting 2 weeks for a similar incident.

Waite's theatrics probably saved King from a suspensions, because of his overreaction the MRP probably decided there was no damage done and decided not pursue it any further

I think "kick" is a bit of an overstatement, it was nothing more than a push off as Waite was holding his legs, surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back