Walsh Street murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Victoria Police
Published on Oct 11, 2018

Today we remember the service and legacy of Constables Steven Tynan and Damian Eyre who, on 12 October 1988, lost their lives while on duty in Walsh Street, South Yarra. 2018 marks 30 years since the tragic deaths of these two police officers.

Anthony Farrell died Saturday morning from cancer.

Police believe while Mr Farrell had been on the periphery of the planning, he was not present at Walsh Street at the time of the murders.

Because they suspected Mr Farrell was not a part of the shooting team, detectives in the Tynan-Eyre taskforce were prepared to offer him a deal if he became a prosecution witness when they arrested him.

Although he was seen as the “weak link,” Mr Farrell refused to make a statement and, with the other three, was found not guilty by a Supreme Court jury.

But he did not take advantage of his second chance, descending into a spiral of drug addiction and small time trafficking to pay for his habit.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...olice-murders-dies-at-52-20181105-p50e3t.html

I read 'A Pack of Bloody Animals' last month in the lead up to the 30th anniversary. Much in there that chimes with other recollections of those in the thread.

One thing that did stand out - just how unpredictable and deadly much of the violence was in Australia during the 1970s and 1980s. It's not addressed in the book, but something like 700,000 weapons were removed from Australian society after the Port Arthur massacre and, even allowing for increased illegal importation in recent years, there's a remarkable cultural shift away from the gun culture we had before then.

No wonder the 'stick-up' merchants and the Armed Robbery Squad were so tetchy - everyone was packing heat. The remarkable thing was that massacres didn't occur more frequently.

The second remarkable point was an interview Ray Mooney did with Victor Peirce in the early 1990s. It turns out his original target was the Airlie Police Conference Centre, just around the corner from Walsh Street. Luckily no one was staying there on 11-12 October 1988 other than a caretaker, otherwise there would have been even more carnage.

Stunning development. Or not.

"Victorian police 'kept weapons to plant on suspects, kidnapped officer': ex-cop's affidavit.

Police in Victoria's armed robbery squad kept a stash of weapons to plant on suspects, and "kidnapped and threatened" a fellow officer who refused to take a weapon to a crime scene, according to an affidavit from a retired fraud squad detective.

Key points:
  • Police said Graeme Jensen pointed a gun at them before they fatally shot him in his car
  • Ex-detective Bill Nash says another detective told him he was asked to take a gun to the scene after the shooting
  • Affidavits from Mr Nash and another former detective support Mr Jensen's family's suspicions a gun was planted at the scene
In a stunning statement, Bill Nash also says that police presented false evidence to the inquest into the death of Graeme Jensen, a convicted bank robber who was fatally shot by police in October 1988 in Melbourne's outer south-east.

The Narre Warren shooting sparked a revenge attack on police the following day — the execution of constables Steven Tynan and Damian Eyre on Walsh Street, South Yarra.

Mr Nash was part of a police unit that investigated the Jensen case for Victoria's Office of Public Prosecutions in the mid-1990s.

His sworn affidavit, obtained by the ABC, raises a raft of potential corruption questions about Victoria Police's former armed robbery squad.

They include the claim by one of its former detectives that the squad kept a "stash of guns … to plant on suspects" — a claim that was investigated and dismissed by an ombudsman more than 10 years ago.

In the affidavit, Mr Nash also says a former armed robbery squad detective told him he was asked to bring a gun to the Jensen crime scene on the day of the shooting.

Mr Nash said the former detective told him he refused to carry out the instruction, and squad members later "kidnapped and threatened" him to keep quiet about what he knew.

Family calls for royal commission
Jensen's family said Mr Nash's affidavit confirmed their suspicions that police planted the gun, and later tampered with it.

"I'm really overwhelmed and so happy they [Mr Nash and Mr Rosenes] have come forward," Ms Spear said.

"If they hadn't, nothing would have changed."

But Ms Spear no longer holds any hope in her brother's shooting being investigated fairly.

In 1991, coroner Hal Hallenstein found there was no evidence the sawn-off rifle was planted in the car after Jensen was killed.

Ms Spear said the coroner was misled by police.

"We never heard the truth — it is blatantly obvious that police had all the power and we had none at that time," she said.

Victoria Police provided a statement to the ABC, which said:

"This matter has been the subject of extensive investigations, examinations and court hearings over many years through numerous forums.

"Allegations previously raised have all been investigated. Recently an application by parties to have the inquest re-opened was rejected by the Supreme Court.

"The coroner has also previously made a finding in respect of the matter.

"There is nothing to warrant a re-opening of the investigation."

Ms Spear said the only way to discover the truth was through a royal commission.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...to-plant-ex-detective-affidavit-says/10169560
Armed Robbery Squad weren't based in stkilda rd were they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real problem, is at the top and the lower ranks hard up against it. imo.
As an aside you only need to watch Confessions of a Killer on Netflix to see the Blue Fortress surround bad policing

A month after the Walsh St killings, police stormed a caravan in Bendigo and opened up on a criminal called Jed Houghton with shotguns. They had reasons to believe he was associated with Walsh Street. Apparently he pointed a gun in their direction when officers were inside the cabin, but 3-4 shotgun blasts made short work of the threat they were faced.

I think at the point the Police were looking for any reason to kill a crook after Walsh Street.

Yes, I think you're right, they could've maybe got some information out of Houghton.
Houghton killed Eyre and Tynan, was on the run from police for those murders, and (understandably) had a stash of guns on him when found and killed.

I doubt you’ll find much sympathy for him or any others that were at Walsh St.
I was an acquaintance of a couple who lived next door to Abdallah. They were present next door when the incident occurred. They were from Canada on some sort of exchange trip. Within 48 hours of the incident, against their wishes, never to be heard from again.they were sent back to Canada.

I was an acquaintance of a couple who lived next door to Abdallah. They were present next door when the incident occurred. They were from Canada on some sort of exchange trip. Within 48 hours of the incident, against their wishes, never to be heard from again.they were sent back to Canada.
Why? Did they actually see what happened?

A decent summary in here with links to a two part podcast, I might check in later.

“If he wants to say he was not involved in Walsh Street, perhaps he shouldn’t brag that he was.” NAKED CITY

About 10 years ago the brothers (McEvoy) exchanged angry texts. Geoff says Peter threatened: “You’ll be lying on the ground like the second Jack [policeman] we offed [killed] saying ‘No, No, don’t shoot’.”

'I am certainly convinced they did it': Geoff McEvoy today.

'I am certainly convinced they did it': Geoff McEvoy today.

“If he is going to make those sort of comments to me then I am going to take them on board. I am certainly convinced they did it- 100 per cent.” He says he took screenshots of the threats and gave them to NSW Police but they were destroyed in a flood of a storage area.

A little foot note. My uncle (Dec) lived at Fairley Court which is just behind Walsh St and was woken up by the shots. Of course he was interviewed at the time but couldn't say that he heard anything else apart from the shots. Which we found out later was right as they left on foot and were picked up a bit of a way away at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back