Toast WalshWatch 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
We have CrippsWatch and I now bring you WalshWatch ...

For starters :-

In just the space of 2 days this week, Walshy has been nominated the Rnd 4 Rising Star & re-signs with the Club today until 2022.

Pi4dbjCA

KWZD-NUJ

Over to the stats gurus!

Amongst Rising Stars, Sammy is

#1 in Disposals, kicks, supercoach points, clearances, metres gained and.....turnovers (well, he has more disposals than any other kid)
#2 in I50s, marks, time on ground %

Lots more here

Ranked 7th in the league (all players, not kids) for stoppage clearances. And this from a scrawny 18yo kid who is known for his outside game....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got it:

1. Cripps
2. Weitering
3. Jones
4. Walsh

Exceptional for a first year player, particularly given the huge years thus far of the top 3.
Yeah he's actually outrageously good.

Love how he gathers the ball and looks to take the first option, but then senses danger (when present) and changes his distribution at the last moment. He's a total freak, his vision and game awareness is seriously some of the best I've ever seen.

And he's played four games. :think:

Lloyd and Carey went OK...

Carey first 4 games in career had 26 kicks, 14 marks and No goals. Just 2 behinds.

Lloyd was just 17 when he made his debut in 1995
His first 5 matches he had 31 kicks, 22 marks and 7 goals.

The next year when he was 18 he played 11 matches for 78 kicks, 46 marks and 18 goals.

After 4 matches, Walsh has had 62 kicks, 43 handballs, 21 marks and 2 goals.
He has had more marks and goals than Carey in their respective first 4 games as 18 year olds.

I personally think of Walsh as a cross between a Craig Bradley and Michael Voss type.
Braddles stayed in the SANFL until he was in his twenties so do not have stats for that.
However Voss made his debut as a 17 year old for Brisbane,

His stats can find here
ttps://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Michael_Voss.html

In his first 6 games he had 61 kicks, 58 handballs, 22 marks and 2 goals.
Very impressive considering teams did not chip the ball around anywhere near as much then to have massive disposal numbers that regular now.
25 kicks in a game then probably equivalent to about 30 now.

Voss when 18 the following season had 16 games for 141 kicks, 116 handballs, 64 marks and 7 goals.

I reckon even Vossy would concede Walsh has him covered as an 18 year old even accounting for the increased disposal of ball we have over two decades later.

The youngest player to ever debut is actually Tim Watson. Incredibly had not turned 16 when made league debut in 1977.
He was 18 in season 1980 and was passing his 60th career game early in that season.

In the first 4 games of 1980 season Watson had 57 kicks, 27 handballs, 14 marks and 7 goals. But he had already passed 50 games experience in him at one club to get to that level.

Nathan Buckley made his debut as a 20 year old for Bears in 1993.
Walsh as an 18 year even had his stats averages covered despite still being a teenager.

Chris Judd was also 18 year old that made wonderful first season debut.
He also has Joel Selwood covered for stats at same age if you look them up.

Craig Bradley made his debut as a 22 year old for Carlton in 1986. He would probably have 18 year old Walsh covered but to be expected as a lot more mature.

Whatever way you look at it Walsh is already tracking elite levels for a guy with such little experience.

Last edited:
Some still did not want him number 1 pick. I forgive them for they not know what they were potentially missing.
When we got number 1 pick last year it was as good as getting a choice between a Craig Bradley and Michael Voss type midfielder.
Was a no brainer despite how good this superdraft was with other elite talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back