Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we pay him. For a couple of reasons.
1) What is the alternative? McCoy? Sudfeld? Next seasons draft doesn't look strong and neither does the available FAs at the position for next season. There aren't many better options available and the going price for QBs is only going up and up, if we don't sign him we go backwards at the position.
2) For stability. We've had a revolving door at QB since Mark Rypien last started, we know what we've got in Kirk and he does well in Grudens system. While not playing at a super star level he's doing enough to keep us competitive and looks capable of leading a good team to success - if we improved our defensive coaching not so much would rest on his shoulders.

Where I like Kirk over Bradford is Kirk is a fighter, he's a competitor, Bradford seems to lack that killer instinct that pushes talented QBs to the next level.
Everything spot on but the bolded for me is the smart move. Sign him now to good coin or sign someone else for better coin next year, or even KC for twice as much next year. Do it now get the stability and plan your team with him.

I still dont think he's worth 20.

4 years 50 million guaranteed plus incentive laced bonuses for over .500 record. Division titles, MVP, Conference titles or a ring etc can bump it up more
We've overpayed so many players in the past 20 years I'm over it and, standalone, I don't think any player is worth that (it's crap when you consider players like Marino and Montana never made $20M in salary across their careers!)
But $20M a year is what the QB market is asking for nowadays. Unfortunately demand has inflated prices to the extent that even mediocre QBs are pushing the $20 million mark (Cutler, Osweiler and Tyrod Taylor are on $18M a year), a $20M starting QB could be considered a bargain in 5 years time the way things are going.

I felt the drafting of Doctson was leading to life after Pierre/DJax, unfortunately he hasn't been able to get on the field this season which muddies that thinking. I like how D-Jax stretches teams deep, but he's been too injury prone to justify his price IMO. Personally I like Garcon and I hope he restructures at a lower price.

I think Jones' days are numbered. The coaches have lost faith in him it seems and if Marshall gets through the next preseason and Kelley kicks on he's way down the depth chart.

And I'd love to see a new DC next season! ;)

I don't mind.

This would prob mean Garcon and Desean go... which is fine is we get a couple of cheaper FA WR to assist Crowder and Doctson....say Terelle Pryor and Robert Woods.

Matt Jones needs to go and sign Latavius Murray or Ronnie Hillman
No free agent is signing for cheap to play for your team, especially the ones in demand. You paid a premium for Garcon and Desean at the time you signed for them.

gg.....groom a mid round qb???? why not "groom" cousins, right now he is an above average starting quarterback at worst, you could just focus on developing him. He seems to have the work ethic to improve to where he is, maybe he has yet to reach his potential.

No free agent is signing for cheap to play for your team, especially the ones in demand. You paid a premium for Garcon and Desean at the time you signed for them.

gg.....groom a mid round qb???? why not "groom" cousins, right now he is an above average starting quarterback at worst, you could just focus on developing him. He seems to have the work ethic to improve to where he is, maybe he has yet to reach his potential.
Sign cousins as starter. Groom QB "in case". Learn under him for 1-3 years. Like they did rg3 and cousins kinda. Like raiders with Carr and cook thinking.

Oakland offered Jackson more money, but he chose to sign in Washington.
Garcon signed with Washington for what was considered a very reasonable $8mil per year average deal.

Oakland offered Jackson more money, but he chose to sign in Washington.
Garcon signed with Washington for what was considered a very reasonable $8mil per year average deal.
At the time 8 million was alot and he had alot of injury issues IIRC, mostly concussion related. He was also coming from the colts which is a very wr friendly situation to be in. From the outside looking in, it appears that he has performed up to his contract. My original point was that no free agent who has multiple suitors signs for cheap to play for ANY team.

Is this where we proclaim the sky is falling?

Gotta say that was a, sadly, predictably disappointing end to the season. I thought we'd turned the corner on these kind of games when we put together a solid trio of weeks following the bye. We had our fate in our own hands until the Panthers loss and were even a chance today but, no. It makes me feel like I'm Charlie Brown constantly having the football pulled out from under me :(

Signs of improvement were there.
Offensively our O-line has made a big improvement. We're 3rd best for sacks allowed and were 7th for yards per carry, you can't ask for much more than that.
Our receivers are in transition. We have a good unit, when healthy, but we never saw Doctson and we're going to lose one of Garcon/D-Jax or both next season. What happens from here is questionable. Reed is great when he's healthy and Vernon Davis was better than expected. The future of our receivers may drive the direction we head with the QB we want.
Matt Jones' future is up in the air given Fat Rob stood up and we've still got Marshall to return next season. Thompson was reliable this season too.
Cousins is the obvious question mark. He posts nice numbers and shows glimpses, but also is prone to poor decisions (he's got Mark Rypien written all over him, now he needs the ring :D ).
The problem is he's a starting quality QB, something we need but also something in demand. The problem is what he's asking. He'll get his money, given the dearth of QBs in the league, but do we pay him, or do we start over? Starting over horrifies me.

Defensively we've been all over the place. We could have won a couple of extra games if we'd been able to stop teams, which would have us in the playoffs, but it was our achilles heel. There's been times where we've looked really good, but times where we've looked really, really bad, critically at the end of the game.
Some of this is due to personnel. Our D-line sometimes look great and other times couldn't stop a sloth. We need more depth and impact here. Some speed on the line and LB wouldn't hurt either as mobile QBs gave us fits. The secondary was looking like a bit of strength at the start of the year, but we regressed, even with the addition of Norman.
Some of it was talent, but some was scheme too.
That being said a lot of teams have done a lot more with worse cattle than what we've got and the defensive coaching staff needs to be looked at. Joe Barry was poor at Detroit and he's just as poor with us. I can't see him putting together a scheme that will see us improve to be one of the best defenses, so why keep him on? Our defense was a liability this year and changes need to be made.

Good analysis.

Offence cant ask much more

Defence. I saw a stat that said our spending for offence v defence was ridiculously out of whack , and with Cousins wanting more ( and why not ask when a 3rd string can ask and get $13million) this will only get worse. For me it was the defence that let us down.

Even with a terrible defence and the issues with Cousins you should be ''allowing x points'' because you know Cousins is good for that many. If you allow more than, 17 seems to be the mark, then Washington more than likely get beaten. Maybe its all a fantasy and good teams can beat a slowdown defence.

On Cousins. I am afraid if we let him go then its back to the cellar. Not that I think he is great. I mentioned in another thread he doesn't inspire me to say he is a QB that says '' get on my back I am bringing this home'' . Against Carolina we saw this weakness and today against the Giants. Great QBs win games on their own backs in these situations. Maybe Romo wants 2 years in the Nations Capital.

I think I saw that same graphic during the Panthers game. Funny thing is the 13-3 Cowboys were #1 in the gap between offence and defence.

Points were definitely an issue. I think in most of our losses/ties we gave up at least 26 points, which is about 5 points above the league average. Expecting the offense to score at least 4 TDs a game each week is too big of an ask, considering only a handful of teams have managed that this year.
If we're even just a middling defense and we allow 5 points a game less each week, then that translates to 3 or 4 extra wins!

We're going to hear a lot about Cousins this offseason, but I agree with your sentiments about not signing him. It's a monkey paw situation 1) Sign Cousins to a big money deal and sacrifice other areas of your team or 2) Don't sign Cousins and live and die by a journeyman.
Cousins isn't the guy that you think is going to get you back in to the game. He's not like Rodgers or Big Ben that you know he's going to will you back in to the game. Even today I was more concerned about him not making a mistake than driving down the field. BUT he's better than having sat through the bad cast of characters we've endured the past 20 years or so.

I doubt Romo joins us, we're too far away from the championship window I think. I could see us looking to trade for a hot young (read : cheap) backup QB like Glennon, McCarron or even Garoppolo and seeing what they can do.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing this morning to say the least.

Kirk isn't worth 20 million or 25 million. I'd take Bradford for $15 millions plus bonuses over Kirk's 20+. Some amateur throws there when the game was there to be won on key possessions.

DeSean going - I would think to a team where he can play in the Superbowl (not the Ealges).

I hope Garcon commits to lower $$$$. Love his Skins career. Top class. I think Vernon Davis will find a start elsewhere.

RB really needs attention. Bring back Alfred Morris or someone who DOES NOT fumble.

We've had how many kickers in the last 6 or 7 years? Fix it!!!!

Defence needs some $$$. DeAngelo will probably retire and we need to strengthen all areas.

Can we please play some DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going with the Cheeseheads in the playoffs!!!!!!!

Is this where we proclaim the sky is falling?

Gotta say that was a, sadly, predictably disappointing end to the season. I thought we'd turned the corner on these kind of games when we put together a solid trio of weeks following the bye. We had our fate in our own hands until the Panthers loss and were even a chance today but, no. It makes me feel like I'm Charlie Brown constantly having the football pulled out from under me :(

Signs of improvement were there.
Offensively our O-line has made a big improvement. We're 3rd best for sacks allowed and were 7th for yards per carry, you can't ask for much more than that.
Our receivers are in transition. We have a good unit, when healthy, but we never saw Doctson and we're going to lose one of Garcon/D-Jax or both next season. What happens from here is questionable. Reed is great when he's healthy and Vernon Davis was better than expected. The future of our receivers may drive the direction we head with the QB we want.
Matt Jones' future is up in the air given Fat Rob stood up and we've still got Marshall to return next season. Thompson was reliable this season too.
Cousins is the obvious question mark. He posts nice numbers and shows glimpses, but also is prone to poor decisions (he's got Mark Rypien written all over him, now he needs the ring :D ).
The problem is he's a starting quality QB, something we need but also something in demand. The problem is what he's asking. He'll get his money, given the dearth of QBs in the league, but do we pay him, or do we start over? Starting over horrifies me.

Defensively we've been all over the place. We could have won a couple of extra games if we'd been able to stop teams, which would have us in the playoffs, but it was our achilles heel. There's been times where we've looked really good, but times where we've looked really, really bad, critically at the end of the game.
Some of this is due to personnel. Our D-line sometimes look great and other times couldn't stop a sloth. We need more depth and impact here. Some speed on the line and LB wouldn't hurt either as mobile QBs gave us fits. The secondary was looking like a bit of strength at the start of the year, but we regressed, even with the addition of Norman.
Some of it was talent, but some was scheme too.
That being said a lot of teams have done a lot more with worse cattle than what we've got and the defensive coaching staff needs to be looked at. Joe Barry was poor at Detroit and he's just as poor with us. I can't see him putting together a scheme that will see us improve to be one of the best defenses, so why keep him on? Our defense was a liability this year and changes need to be made.
Very good analysis.
I'm in the no to Cousins camp.
Needs to be plenty of changes and I fear we still have plenty more years in the wilderness.
Moved up 3 draft spots to 17 today if that's any consolation :'(

Washington fired defensive coordinator Joe Barry and two assistants -- defensive line coach Robb Akey and defensive backs aide Perry Fewell -- on Thursday. The team also parted ways with head strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark.
Barry was overdue. Hopefully the new hires see a significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

Washington fired defensive coordinator Joe Barry and two assistants -- defensive line coach Robb Akey and defensive backs aide Perry Fewell -- on Thursday. The team also parted ways with head strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark.
Barry was overdue. Hopefully the new hires see a significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball.
Wade Phillips come on down!

Citing multiple sources familiar with the negotiations, Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Kirk Cousins would have signed a multi-year deal last offseason if offered $20 million per year by the Redskins.

The Redskins botched this situation badly. Their max offer to Cousins last year was $16 million annually, yet they're going to end up paying him $44 million guaranteed for the 2016 and 2017 seasons combined, and risk losing Cousins to free agency next offseason. No NFL player can be franchise tagged three years in a row. Per Robinson, team president Bruce Allen is primarily to blame. Allen has reduced GM Scot McCloughan to a "talent procurement guy" only, while Allen is managing the cap (poorly) and calling almost all of the shots.

Source: Yahoo Sports

Lol

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan disputed a report that he was sent home from team headquarters on February 20.

"I'm taking care of my family, plain and simple," McCloughan said. In a text conversation with 106.7 The Fan's Brian McNally, McCloughan replied "Correct" when asked if he won't attend this week's NFL Combine at all. McCloughan previously told McNally he wasn't in Indy because he was "setting up the funeral for his grandmother." The grandmother's funeral occurred on February 13.

Source: Brian McNally on Twitter

They're going to end up pay Kirk C way more than they would have had they come up the extra $4M last off season. Idiots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back