Watching overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

I received this email today after asking for an explanation concerning my 2017 subscription.

Thank you for taking time to write to us.

We acknowledge that the distribution timing of Club voucher codes has been delayed for the 2017 season.
This is due to broadcast rights negotiations between a number of different parties which is currently progressing.

We will have additional information to share in advance of the pre-season JLT Community Series for all international AFL fans, and will keep you updated as soon as more information comes to hand.

Regards
WatchAFL Support

Thats crap.

I had the Global pass in various iterations for the last 6 years or so - even before this current mob had it - and the yearly used to be a YEARLY (12 months) service.
Now the yearly is Season and only covers 8 months or so.
Just cutting the time you can watch and increasing the fees.

I'll still use it however - it usually works pretty well and the tech support can get things sorted out fairly quickly when issues arise.

There is no other choice.

Go Catters

I'm in Banchang and do the same. It's just that I've paid for 2017 but can't access the site....
I had a look at the site as well..
I cant even buy a subscription yet.

It asks me for a voucher and I have none. I have also noticed that the email support address has changed from last year so there may be a new entity involved as well. Never a good sign - just a bunch of new people that need to be trained in the ways of things AFL...

Sounds petty I know but when you get up at 2 am each week to watch games live and there are tech errors you have to find, trouble shoot, report and wait for fixes... it gets frustrating.

GO Catters

I'm not going to bother signing up again till round 1, but I think the preseason comp will be available for free trial.

In previous years this has definitely been the case.

GO Catters

Can you get a monthly subscription for Global Pass or only an annual one.

Wife has booked holidays in September. Can you believe that, she is heading for the divorce courts if it happens again.

Wife has booked holidays in September. Can you believe that, she is heading for the divorce courts if it happens again.
Weekly, monthly and seasonal based on last year...

GO Catters

This was for last season so will probably be similar for this season too.

WatchAFL offers several subscription packages including:

Season Pass
Full season access - includes live and on-demand coverage of every match of the Toyota AFL 2016 Premiership season, special events such as Brownlow Medal, and the 24/7 channel that includes classic quarters, panel discussions, and more exclusive content

Weekly Pass
Our weekly pass gives access for 7 days' to WatchAFL, our archives and 24/7 access to our brand new Watch AFL TV channel

Monthly Recurring Pass
Our flexible monthly recurring pass provides 30 days access to WatchAFL including live matches, our archives and 24/7 coverage of our WatchAFL TV channel

Found out.Not available on PC or Mac.
Bit of a bugga.
Just checked. I can watch it on foxtel go on a galaxy tablet
c65cf41f60357f89ab205cbce51bf4e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Emailed the WATCHAFL.COM third party vendor about their 2017 service...

Got this back..

Thanks for contacting us.

We are Bravebison and we hold the rights to broadcast AFL all across the World.Watch AFL streams everywhere outside of Australia, but unfortunately we do not hold the rights to stream from within Australia.

We are currently awaiting AFL's response on the broadcasting rights this year .This is due to broadcast rights negotiations between a number of different parties which is currently progressing.

We will have additional information to share in advance of the pre-season JLT Community Series for all international AFL fans, and will keep you updated as soon as more information comes to hand.

Again apologies and thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Payal

So it seems the AFL and its broadcast partners are still arguing over $$$$$$$$ 3 weeks before the preseason starts - which means a price un crease to us again for an even shorter period - not longer yearly but seasonal subscription meaning you pay more for 2 less months of access.

SMH

Cant say im surprised.

It seems however that this iteration of third party vendor is at least able to communicate with its end users..

This would also explain why the club based international membership stuff either has not be sent to those whom have paid or why the codes presented dont work yet.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What these handsome devils said. And you can get it monthly if you're not away for the whole season etc...
I get the service here in Aus as well rather than paying for the disgraceful rip-off that is Foxtel

The alternative is ILIKEHD, I use to use this. For like $10 a month you get about 100 channels from around the world in HD quality. Australian Network and BT sports will show a few live games every weekend, with both, you get 90% of the games. Or you can check the TV guides few minutes before, and if it's on, you can pay for 3 hours for like $3. It's based in Thailand, so you get a lot of Asian channels, but it's safe and legit, and you don't need a VPN.

Looks like Fox has taken the www.watchafl.com.au website....
https://www.watchafl.com.au/

Have a look and post your thoughts....

Seems we will get Fox footy shows now as well... 360 etc.....

SO I presume that clubs offering the international package will get everything the Fox package offers...

We shall see.

GO Catters

EDIT - Just subscribed to Season Pass. 149 USD for full season. Montly and weekly available.
Also Gets Draft and Brownlow like last year.

What is new is FOX Footy channel! so now we get 360, Bounce, League Teams, On the couch, Open Mike and AFL Tonight.

Its not clear if those will be live streamed as well but it seems reasonable to assume it will be streamed off the live Fox Footy channel feed so its likely.

The quality so far seems decent on my shiity work Internet here - but they say in the fine print that the quality will be limited only be the WIFI you are using. We shall see about that one.

As for Mobile, there is a new APP for both Android and Iphone. Have not got that yet but ill soon.

Everything seems to be on demand on all devices.

Overall, it seems a better content selection that previous iterations based on the Fox Footy channel additional shows. And the price didnt increase on last year so i'll take that.

What im unable to find is when it terminates on the Season subscription - my guess will be Dec 1 2017 but cant see that in black and white yet.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Last edited:
Looks good, I've only signed up as a trial user so far.
Seems be a much better site overall and yeah access to the footy channel is impressive.
My only annoyance is that they're charging £149, when it should be really be around £119 on current exchange rates.

Looks good, I've only signed up as a trial user so far.
Seems be a much better site overall and yeah access to the footy channel is impressive.
My only annoyance is that they're charging £149, when it should be really be around £119 on current exchange rates.

Look into your clubs digital memberships. I have done the Hawthorn "International Membership" for 3 years now and it's actually cheaper than subscribing directly to the WatchAFL site. You get some swag, presumably your club gets a cut of the $$$, their membership numbers increase, and you pay less overall. No reason to argue with that.

It appears the "Global Crow" membership is significantly less than £149

I think most clubs have these now.

On the mobile app atleast I'm unable to log in with my last year's email ID and password . Still haven't received the voucher from Port for being an international member. Anyway I registered again and started a preseason trial but it keeps asking for my payment details.. anyone else have the same issue?

On SM-G920F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look into your clubs digital memberships. I have done the Hawthorn "International Membership" for 3 years now and it's actually cheaper than subscribing directly to the WatchAFL site. You get some swag, presumably your club gets a cut of the $$$, their membership numbers increase, and you pay less overall. No reason to argue with that.

It appears the "Global Crow" membership is significantly less than £149

I think most clubs have these now.
What's a digital membership worth and once got how much are they charging for the global package?

What's a digital membership worth and once got how much are they charging for the global package?

I paid $168AUD for my Suns International Package back in November and have just been advised Vouchers are due out this week.(see below email). We'll see but not real confident...

Hi Greg,

Yes this is a new service. Vouchers for Club Memberships are due to go out early next week. In the meantime, we don't want you to miss the matches that are on this weekend and there is a free live stream available here http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-04/aflw-round-one-watch-it-live

Thank you,
- The Watch AFL Team

Hawks are selling theirs for $179 AUD. But there's no additional charge for the WatchAFL site (if that's what you're asking). You get access to all the games from anywhere outside Australia.

(once they send you the voucher code that is, which it appears we're all still waiting for).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back