Wayne Schwass

Remove this Banner Ad

he was a complete player, pace, aggression, skill. I remember in the early days Pagan isolated him at Full Forward on Nathan Buckley and he tore him to pieces - he may have kicked 4-5 goals on him. I really wish Scott would do the same wiht Ziebell every now and then to mix things up.

That was North's 125th anniversary game vs the Pies in'94. No Carey that night. North trailed at HT by 17pts IIRC but as you stated, Pagan moved him to the goal square allowing the Horse to run rampant from CHF (6.6) as North turned the game on it's head in the second half. Tony Shaw's 300th also fraughted.. :D

My all time favourite Nth player.

Hard, quick and skilful. If the modern Nth team could have 1 player from our last 25 years (Captain Obvious aside) to complement this bunch, taking into consideration current team attributes, I reckon it would be Schwatta. Gun.

Agree wholeheartedly. Saw the best / full career of Schwatta. AFL HOF material for mine. Happen to meet him (alone :() at in a dark bar at Crown (he looked like he was going thru his depression days:() but me & my Swans loving bro-in-law cheered him up somewhat... at the expense of him pouring the acid on the Toothless Tigers. Also got to meet his proud dad at the Star Bar in South Melbourne after his '95 B&F win.

Im sure its been mentioned to death before but why did we trade him?

Due to his depression, did he want a new start in Sydney?

Schwatta is a champion! When i was a kid in the 90s i loved how he went about his footy. Skillful and tough!
I had the privilege of meeting him, as an adult, at last years premiership reunion. Ripping bloke and was up for a good chat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still have my St. Virgils high-school jumper with the number 2 due solely to Schwass.

Was my favourite player in the 90s, Pickett then number 1 after Schwatta left.

Huh, when were you at st Virgil's? You probably know mrs Z's little brothers.

Yep. St Peters/St Virgils/Guilford - St Peters changed to Virgils and college changed to Guilford.

Finished 10 in '97. Fair chance, last name?

Last edited:
Was a gun player. Was one of my favourites, was shattered when we lost him only to gain shannon grant who went on to being my next favourite player.

Good player but never liked Shagga, soft front runner. Think made worse as shattered Schwatta left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back