WBBL|07

Remove this Banner Ad

A century in the last H&A game with the 5th-placed team chasing down a big total to beat a finalist. Bit of deja vu there, albeit the Stars on the right side of it this time (depending on how you look at it).

Strikers lucky to get home ground advantage for the 3v4 final, and the prelim if they make it, but I prefer that over using neutral venues even though it's not ideal from a fairness perspective.

Stars will need go hard in recruiting there international players next season, bit like the Renegades there bowling attack are on the inexperienced side, need get a strike bowler in
How is Vlaeminck not playing for one of the Melbourne teams

Erin Osborne had plenty of career highlights, Player of the Final in 2015/16 stands out from a WBBL perspective, but I reckon she'd have the win against England in the 1st ODI of the 2013 Women's Ashes right up there.

Playing at Lord's, defending 200, she and Jonassen spun a web on a Bombaystic pitch to trigger a collapse from 3/142 to 176 all out.

There's one other performance of hers in green-and-gold that particularly sticks out in the memory, not sure if there's video of it floating around but I'll see if I can find anything.

Stars will need go hard in recruiting there international players next season, bit like the Renegades there bowling attack are on the inexperienced side, need get a strike bowler in
How is Vlaeminck not playing for one of the Melbourne teams
I've heard quite a few people say this about the Stars but I'm not sure why. Garth was consistent (as expected for a player of her experience) and took 15 wickets at 6.24 rpo, Sutherland was inconsistent (expected per inexperience) but took 14 wickets at 6.42 rpo.

The Strikers are the only other team to have two quicks (if we count Coyte) that high up on the wicket-takers list. Miles better than the Renegades' stocks, where Vlaeminck certainly should still be--conspiracy theories about CA interfering to help a terrible Hurricanes team (back-to-back wooden spooners at the time) might have some validity.

How is Villani not in Australia’s 20 20 side, was the leading run scorer in last WBBL, and has scored over 400 runs this season, carried the Stars this year
She wasn't close to the leading run scorer last WBBL. Perhaps you mean WNCL but her ODI record is poor so that's why Redmayne was added to the last Aus squad (who predictably outperformed her in the Vic v QLD final).

That aside, you can only pick so many top-order players who don't bowl. Once they settled on Mooney and Healy for T20Is, it would appear that was the beginning of the end for her spot in the national team.

I've heard quite a few people say this about the Stars but I'm not sure why. Garth was consistent (as expected for a player of her experience) and took 15 wickets at 6.24 rpo, Sutherland was inconsistent (expected per inexperience) but took 14 wickets at 6.42 rpo.

The Strikers are the only other team to have two quicks (if we count Coyte) that high up on the wicket-takers list. Miles better than the Renegades' stocks, where Vlaeminck certainly should still be--conspiracy theories about CA interfering to help a terrible Hurricanes team (back-to-back wooden spooners at the time) might have some validity.

She wasn't close to the leading run scorer last WBBL. Perhaps you mean WNCL but her ODI record is poor so that's why Redmayne was added to the last Aus squad (who predictably outperformed her in the Vic v QLD final).

That aside, you can only pick so many top-order players who don't bowl. Once they settled on Mooney and Healy for T20Is, it would appear that was the beginning of the end for her spot in the national team.
Garth is about to become an Aussie if I correct so didn’t count her

Most of Aussie’s top Order didn’t fire a cracker in the WBBL, she should be in the next Australian 20 20 squad at least

Agree with the Renegades bowling attack pretty weak, surprise if they win it, can’t keep relying KAUR and Rodrigues getting them big scores
Last 2 games Rodrigues has got out early and KAUR didn’t bat in the last game

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WBBL Finals

The Eliminator:
Brisbane Heat v Adelaide Strikers | Adelaide Oval | November 24, 6.40pm local (7.10pm AEDT)

The Challenger: Melbourne Renegades v winner of The Eliminator | Adelaide Oval | November 25, 6.40pm local (7.10pm AEDT)

The Final: Perth Scorchers v winner of The Challenger | Optus Stadium | November 27 at 4.10pm local (7.10pm AEDT)

Who's got a guess for Player of the Tournament?

I thought Mooney or Lanning deserved it last year, the former finished outside the top 7 and the latter finished 2nd. This time I'd agree with Kaur or Mooney.

But my guess is Grace Harris, last year averaged 22 with the bat at a strike rate of 96 and still came 4th in the voting.

WBBL Finals

The Eliminator:
Brisbane Heat v Adelaide Strikers | Adelaide Oval | November 24, 6.40pm local (7.10pm AEDT)

The Challenger: Melbourne Renegades v winner of The Eliminator | Adelaide Oval | November 25, 6.40pm local (7.10pm AEDT)

The Final: Perth Scorchers v winner of The Challenger | Optus Stadium | November 27 at 4.10pm local (7.10pm AEDT)
Perth will be favourites, but I wouldn't discount the Heat or Strikers either, both have strong line ups and players in form at the right time. I'm not discounting the Renegades, but Rodrigues has hit a bad patch and Kaur failed in her second last game and was hurt in the last. None of their other batters have been consistent enough to warrant confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back