WBBL|07

Remove this Banner Ad

wbbl07fixtureupdate.jpg

Below are marquee (and some other notable) changes to each team.

Adelaide Strikers
In: Dane van Niekerk
Out: Suzie Bates, Stafanie Taylor

Brisbane Heat
In: Anneke Bosch, Poonam Yadav
Out: Amelia Kerr, Delissa Kimmince (retired), Maddy Green

Hobart Hurricanes
In: Mignon du Preez, Rachel Trenaman, Molly Strano, Richa Ghosh
Out: Corinne Hall, Hayley Matthews

Melbourne Renegades
In: Harmanpreet Kaur, Jemimah Rodrigues, Eve Jones, Holly Ferling, Simon Helmot (coach)
Out: Maitlan Brown, Molly Strano, Lea Tahuhu, Amy Satterthwaite, Lachlan Stevens (coach)

Melbourne Stars
In: Linsey Smith, Maia Bouchier, Kim Garth, Jarrad Loughman (coach)
Out: Mignon du Preez, Holly Ferling, Nat Sciver, Katherine Brunt, Trent Woodhill (coach)

Perth Scorchers
In: Alana King, Marizanne Kapp, Chamari AhthahphahththuhHh (but possibly unavailable at some stage)
Out: Nicole Bolton, Amy Jones, Sarah Glenn

Sydney Sixers
In: Maitlan Brown, Nicole Bolton, Shafali Verma, Radha Yadav
Out: Sarah Aley (retired), Marizanne Kapp, Dane van Niekerk

Sydney Thunder
In: Issy Wong, Smriti Mandhana, Deepti Sharma, Corinne Hall
Out: Shabnim Ismail, Rachel Trenaman, Heather Knight, Tammy Beaumont

Last edited:
This is so unfair from the ECB. why don’t they all work together??

Also, fixture appears to be coming out later this week.

Well here is one example of a WNCL move lining up with a WBBL move, just a different spinner than the one I was speculating about.

Doesn't necessarily leave the Stars short in that department, but I think it'd be needlessly risky to not use one of their marquee spots as a like-for-like replacement for King. That could mean an Indian player (of which there are several who fit the bill), or maybe even my always ignored suggestion of Leigh Kasperek.

I am shocked. This is so sad for us (the stars). Losing King is such a disappointment. She is the heart and soul of our club. She has done the tough yards and risen to the occasion for the club. There is no chance we win the flag now with King, Sciver and Bruny all gone sadly...

Two-fold pickup for the Hurricanes, not only getting the league's all-time leading wicket-taker but it should mean they'll change their unsuccessful marquee approach.

Maybe they'll be the ones to get Mandhana, as they have in the past, and move on from at least one of Matthews (struggling to score runs against Pakistan atm) or Tryon (been dealing with a bunch of injuries) who were largely non-factors with the bat last season.

I am shocked. This is so sad for us (the stars). Losing King is such a disappointment. She is the heart and soul of our club. She has done the tough yards and risen to the occasion for the club. There is no chance we win the flag now with King, Sciver and Bruny all gone sadly...
Yeah that's a bit of an overreaction without seeing who the replacements are. Any Meg team is going to be in the hunt, as long as the coach isn't as poor with tactics as she is.

Highlights of the fixture
  • 47 televised matches (11 more than last year, which was by far the most in a season until now)
  • Attempting to play in all six states (for whatever "attempting" is worth)
  • No Drummoyne or Hurstville, leaving Blacktown as the sole dud pitch to be used
  • Mid-week semis and a Saturday night final again, hopefully meaning higher-qualifying teams will get home state advantage

Lowlights of the fixture
  • Thunder v Strikers at 3.40pm on a Tuesday in Blacktown, while Heat v Scorchers is played at 7pm the following day at the same venue. Maybe put the local team on at the time when the local people can actually attend.
  • Thunder v Sixers at the WACA. A Sydney derby played in Perth. Truly idiotic.
  • Hurricanes v Scorchers in Adelaide at 1.45pm on a Friday, not even as a double-header with a Strikers game. Bizarre.
  • 8 matches with TBC venues.

Last edited:
The Sixers start the season at North Sydney against the Stars. I remember WBBL/03 starting with the same fixture and Ash Gardner producing the innings of the tournament to date, 114 off 52 with 10 sixes and 9 fours. I hope history repeats, only this time she doesn't get out in the 14th over. :D

Bolton to the Sixers is surprising to me, 3rd off-spinner (although probably the best of the 3) alongside Gardner and Burns in addition to potential left-arm orthodox recruit Radha Yadav. Explains why the Scorchers went and got Atapattu though, not that it needed much explaining.

The re-/signing news has come filtering through much slower than I expected. All the deals would've been agreed on in principle months ago I reckon, so I'd say Schutt and Wareham are safe bets to stay put at Adelaide and the Gades respectively, for the rather obscure reason that they were used in promo material by each team when the fixtures were released.

Therefore, of the contracted Aus players, the questions remaining revolve around:

McGrath - depends on whether the Strikers want 3 overseas marquees
Carey - depends on what the Hurricanes had to spend to get Strano, the Renegades would surely be interested
Sutherland - can't think of a good reason for her to leave the Stars
Haynes - can't see her moving ahead of what is probably her last season, and I think the Thunder have always been the slackest with announcements

Bolton to the Sixers is surprising to me, 3rd off-spinner (although probably the best of the 3) alongside Gardner and Burns in addition to potential left-arm orthodox recruit Radha Yadav. Explains why the Scorchers went and got Atapattu though, not that it needed much explaining.

The re-/signing news has come filtering through much slower than I expected. All the deals would've been agreed on in principle months ago I reckon, so I'd say Schutt and Wareham are safe bets to stay put at Adelaide and the Gades respectively, for the rather obscure reason that they were used in promo material by each team when the fixtures were released.

Therefore, of the contracted Aus players, the questions remaining revolve around:

McGrath - depends on whether the Strikers want 3 overseas marquees
Carey - depends on what the Hurricanes had to spend to get Strano, the Renegades would surely be interested
Sutherland - can't think of a good reason for her to leave the Stars
Haynes - can't see her moving ahead of what is probably her last season, and I think the Thunder have always been the slackest with announcements

Confirmation this morning of Haynes staying put at the Thunder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned in the Haynes articles was that the Thunder were looking at signing two Indians. I could guess where else would be the best fit for Stafanie Taylor, but the reality is I don't even know if the West Indies players will be available since their international fixtures are so often seemingly announced on the fly.

On a similar theme of unknowns: Amelia Kerr will not be taking part in New Zealand's upcoming tour of England, citing the need to prioritise her mental health and well-being. So maybe she won't be playing WBBL, or maybe she will.

The Renegades obviously had to bolster their pace bowling stocks (hence my earlier Carey comment), and they've done that with the signing of Holly Ferling. Maitlan Brown may or may not re-sign but, regardless, with her on the comeback trail and Ferling's history with injury, they still need at least another quick to properly minimise the risk of getting caught out like last season (that's in addition to using one of the marquee spots on Tahuhu or Mair etc).

A season later than I expected but perfect timing with no Brunt and Sciver this time around, and perfectly fits the Jensen/Dottin role I had in mind for the Stars but without using up a marquee spot (though I will double-check that).

A season later than I expected but perfect timing with no Brunt and Sciver this time around, and perfectly fits the Jensen/Dottin role I had in mind for the Stars but without using up a marquee spot (though I will double-check that).
Correction, Garth will be a marquee, per cricket.com.au. And an earlier article mentioned she probably won't be a permanent Aus resident until early next year--I remember now, it was the fact that the Hurricanes didn't sign her last year to replace Vlaeminck which threw me.

Correction, Garth will be a marquee, per cricket.com.au. And an earlier article mentioned she probably won't be a permanent Aus resident until early next year--I remember now, it was the fact that the Hurricanes didn't sign her last year to replace Vlaeminck which threw me.
Waste of a marquee spot tbh

Waste of a marquee spot tbh
Wrong tbh.

There isn't a better pace bowler available. And without her, the Stars are relying solely on teenagers who have been going at 8 an over for the last two seasons.

Wrong tbh.

There isn't a better pace bowler available. And without her, the Stars are relying solely on teenagers who have been going at 8 an over for the last two seasons.
I know but this is where I get furious at the ECB. They should make English players available NOT schedule a series when the WBBL is on

I know but this is where I get furious at the ECB. They should make English players available NOT schedule a series when the WBBL is on
Is that because you feel players deserve better treatment, or because you feel personally inconvenienced. If it's the former, save your fury for the incompetent boards who actually deserve it.

The ECB should be scheduling international tours well in advance and showing commitment to their own league. And that is what they are doing now, unlike the BCCI.

Bolton is an interesting signing for the Sixers, a career strike rate of 95 in the WBBL doesn't really suit the Sixers "hell for leather" style at the top of the order and the Sixers already have four other spinners signed up for the season, not including Yadav if she is coming. That said, looking at the players currently signed they do look a little light in the batting so maybe she has been brought in to provide some lower order stability.

Gosh, sure they let Kappie go and Aley has retired, and I was expecting Maito to sign with a Sydney team... but probably not the one that already has Pez, Cheezle, Silver-Hulk and the Stellanator. I guess that means Lisa Griffith is maybe headed elsewhere (playing WNCL for WA, but the Scorchers aren't exactly short on quicks either).

On the subject of pace bowlers, Rosemary Mair pulled out of NZ's tour of England due to a shin injury. So if the Gades were looking to bring her back this year, maybe that has put her in doubt, just as a similar ailment thwarted Wareham last season. And perhaps the same might be true of Jess Jonassen--haven't heard how long she'll be sidelined for, just that she'll miss the India series.

Gosh, sure they let Kappie go and Aley has retired, and I was expecting Maito to sign with a Sydney team... but probably not the one that already has Pez, Cheezle, Silver-Hulk and the Stellanator. I guess that means Lisa Griffith is maybe headed elsewhere (playing WNCL for WA, but the Scorchers aren't exactly short on quicks either).

On the subject of pace bowlers, Rosemary Mair pulled out of NZ's tour of England due to a shin injury. So if the Gades were looking to bring her back this year, maybe that has put her in doubt, just as a similar ailment thwarted Wareham last season. And perhaps the same might be true of Jess Jonassen--haven't heard how long she'll be sidelined for, just that she'll miss the India series.

Wouldn't they be over their limit of CA contracted players though?

Wouldn't they be over their limit of CA contracted players though?
Who, the Sixers? Gardner, Healy, Perry = 3. And teams are allowed up to 5 (if you don't have any overseas players, which they don't... yet).

Bolton and Cheatle haven't had a CA contract for a while now, Burns never has. And although M.Brown and Campbell were today selected in the squad for the series v India, they don't have CA contracts either... yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back