We win

Remove this Banner Ad

My rants over, here's how I saw the game.

Pro's

* Wilson's strong leading, marking and accuracy at goals. The Dockers made a blunder by putting and keeping Jones on him.

* Phil Matera's 4 goals after an injury interrupted pre-season. This guy looked dangerous around goals all day.

* Embley and Fletcher show. They are finally showing their promise under Woosha - youth is on their side and hopefully this is just a taste of what to come this season

* No Ken Judge. Woosha got his deserved standing ovation when he came down from the coaches box.

* Gardiner and Cox rucking worked a treat. 42-22 for hitouts, first hands on the ball go a long way.

* McIntosh, Jakovich and Roo Matera, "the fab 3" Age is just a number, these guys are still quality, experienced players.

* Cousin's not at his best, but our midfield was still able to stand up and carry the load. Good honest performance.

* No Injuries :)

Con's

* At times we slipped back into bad old habits, of not manning up and giving our opponent too much freedom. McManus too advantage of this in the first half.

* Set plays after kick-ins. Richard Taylor did a good job for most of the game, but instead of going long at times, a short kick went straight to Walker(?) who goaled.

* Small fade outs for the last 5-10 minutes of each quarter. We have to play out the full quarter otherwise teams will hurt us with quick goals.

* The pathetic commentating saying the boundary umpire went down with cramp. I saw what happened and the bloke twisted his ankle when he did a 'side quad spin' after chucking the ball back to the field umpire (what was with that hat?)

* McBurney obviously doesn't believe that bumping a player with the ball is legal anymore. Made me mad when a fair bump was deemed illegal.

Can't really add to the previous comments, except that it was good to see Cox improve after struggling a bit early. And both teams are going to struggle next week after the heat (especially us - playing a team off a night game and 9 day break)

But what the hell. We're winners this week, and it's great!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back