MRP / Trib. Webster KO's Simpkin - Update 7 week penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not hang draw and quarter him at dawn on the wing at Arden St?
So if he ends a players career because of an action we now know is capable of ending a career or even causing the sort of symptoms that drive people to suicide you want what?

A pat on the back for the campaigner.

What he did was a dog act, even in the old days people didn't respect that sort of thing, feared it maybe. Today he may have cost Simpkin 600K or more a year for another eight years and a career doing what he worked all his life to achieve and i'm guessing you want him suspended for less time than Jy will miss with his concussion even if he's fine long term.

Given the MRP/O's attitude to incidents that concuss North players you're likely to get your wish too.

He has got more matches than other players have got for similar incidents and the same number of matches as Hall got for belting Staker.

I would hardly say he has got off easy.
Are you still seriously going on about suspensions from 2 decades ago?

You’d be suspended for an entire season if you did a Barry Hall these days.

Precedent now set though this is unlikely to end well ...... Tribunal/AFL once again set themselves up for a fall
I for one, think it's a good precedent. I'm not just saying that because our player was cleaned up. Those actions don't belong on a footy field, not when they are ending careers early.

He has got more matches than other players have got for similar incidents and the same number of matches as Hall got for belting Staker.

I would hardly say he has got off easy.

Thankfully the AFL learns from prior punishments not bring sufficient. Unlucky for Webster that he is the fall guy but you can't just apply the same level of punishment each time now with what we're learning about CTE. Change has to start somewhere.

As has been stated, let's see what happens when a big name does.similar close to the finals. That's the real test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one, think it's a good precedent. I'm not just saying that because our player was cleaned up. Those actions don't belong on a footy field, not when they are ending careers early.
The AFL Tribunal Dance .... if you haven't seen it before

200w.gif

7 is admittedly in the ballpark but it seems very convenient that they play each other again the week he comes back.

TV dollars infiltrating the tribunal again? Makes for a baity story.

Wonder if Webster will pick up a knock on Thursday of that week or come back through the VFL.

If TV dollars drove every action, the AFL wouldn't have fixtured Port v North in Tassie last year, nor would they fixture Hawks v Pies in Adelaide this year.

I think 7 is fair enough.

8+ stuff should be for non-footy actions ( this was still a “bump” at the end of the day…. Albeit horribly executed)

8,10 week stuff should be for “king hit” punches, elbows etc. Eg - Pugger on Caven, Barry hall right hook etc

7 is ok, would have preferred 9 to 10 to truely try to stamp this stuff out of the game.

But after the Maynard bump on Bradshaw getting zero weeks, I can’t take anything the tribunal/AFL does seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back