Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

On the hamstring exercise question the fit ball curl is an absolute ripper when done correctly in a controlled manner. It absolutely smashes your hammies whilst engaging the core. Now I have moved to a home gym I find it invaluable.

Also fwiw depending on the athleticism and mobility of the person I’m dealing with, often I’ll get them to do a similar program but utilising machines instead of free weights for a couple of months to build up a base level of strength and conditioning eg seated smith machine press, unilateral leg press, machine chest press, chest supported row, 45 degree back raise, lat pulldown.
Normally I get them to do higher reps to start (2x25 or something like that initially) and I’ll only ever do this if I’m not going to be working with them one on one (as I’d just teach them how to squat etc in that case).
This.

Your knees, shoulders and back will thank you for many years to come.

I've been whingeing of late about joint soreness and general softness. Did chest Friday, and dropped the weight I usually use by half. Got the best chest workout by just concentrating on good form and not involving the shoulders tris as much as possible. Using lighter weight and machines lets you make small adjustments until you can really feel the muscle you're targeting.

Pecs were burning with just 1 plate each side on a silly old chest press machine.

I see kids try to go really hard on barbell bench press, and you can tell they are doing more harm than good.

This.

Your knees, shoulders and back will thank you for many years to come.

I've been whingeing of late about joint soreness and general softness. Did chest Friday, and dropped the weight I usually use by half. Got the best chest workout by just concentrating on good form and not involving the shoulders tris as much as possible. Using lighter weight and machines lets you make small adjustments until you can really feel the muscle you're targeting.

Pecs were burning with just 1 plate each side on a silly old chest press machine.

I see kids try to go really hard on barbell bench press, and you can tell they are doing more harm than good.

Horses for courses.
If your goals are purely aesthetic then imo you could get away with machines for the majority of your training (free weights or cables will still be required to fill in gaps in places like filling out the shoulders with external rotation exercises)
If you have goals beyond aesthetics then the bulk of your training should be done with free weights, and machines used predominantly in rehab or when they’re superior to their free weight equivalent eg an inverse/Nordic hamstring curl machine, or an assisted pull up machine if you can’t do pull ups yet

What I found most surprising about the asian guy is that he has no belt or straps and doesn't even use an accentuated arch

That and tbh in a t-shirt he doesn’t look like he’s ever had 45lbers on the bar in his life either.
I had a younger guy (19/20) come train with me for a bit last year and I told him he’d need to gain 10-15kg at a minimum if he wanted to be any good at Powerlifting.
He sent me a video of that guy as a comeback, though I doubt it took the Asian fella 2 years to bench 70kg lol

Without seeing how you’re doing exercises it’s hard to tell what’s going on, but if it takes a while to warm up you might have to sacrifice weight on your compounds and do them last.
Eg your push day might be side raises, tricep pressdowns, front raises, military press then bench press

John Meadows has a good breakdown of how/why he chooses exercises and their order. Even though I’m mainly Powerlifting I still a lot of John’s ideas/concepts eg I’ll do some side raises, face pulls and push ups before benching
https://www.t-nation.com/training/monstrous-back-the-mountain-dog-way
https://www.t-nation.com/training/mountain-dog-arms
https://www.t-nation.com/training/shoulder-training-the-mountain-dog-way
https://www.t-nation.com/training/enormous-and-strong-legs-the-mountain-dog-way
https://www.t-nation.com/training/chest-obliteration-mountain-dog-style
Gave these a run yesterday.

Tried to do it on the tbar attachment where you stick a barbell in there, but the angle away wasn't good.

One of the kids suggested I try on one of the proper tbar machines.

Success! Swapping out low row machine, and putting this one into the rotation. Said kid then tried to talk me into deadlifting, and I had to back away. :D

I do

Cable row
Wide grip lat pulldown
Low row machione Meadow Row
Pullovers
Close reverse grip pulldowns
Bicep curls.

That and tbh in a t-shirt he doesn’t look like he’s ever had 45lbers on the bar in his life either.
I had a younger guy (19/20) come train with me for a bit last year and I told him he’d need to gain 10-15kg at a minimum if he wanted to be any good at Powerlifting.
He sent me a video of that guy as a comeback, though I doubt it took the Asian fella 2 years to bench 70kg lol

And sometimes there is always genetic outliers.....as a comeback to "your mate" which means just because he is skinny and the guy in the video is skinny doesn't mean you can match what others can do.

And sometimes there is always genetic outliers.....as a comeback to "your mate" which means just because he is skinny and the guy in the video is skinny doesn't mean you can match what others can do.

I said if he could find another dozen guys who looked like that and could bench big weights I’d stop telling him he was too skinny.
Literally couldn’t find one more haha

Haven't posted in a while, been sticking to my strongman program and really enjoying it.

Back up to 80kg squats for reps, and got a PB on deads on Monday :) 90kg x 3, I'm hoping to get to 100kg by the end of the year.

Haven't benched in so long, not part of my program but I always preferred dumbbell chest press anyway.

Gave these a run yesterday.

Tried to do it on the tbar attachment where you stick a barbell in there, but the angle away wasn't good.

One of the kids suggested I try on one of the proper tbar machines.

Success! Swapping out low row machine, and putting this one into the rotation. Said kid then tried to talk me into deadlifting, and I had to back away. :D

I do

Cable row
Wide grip lat pulldown
Low row machione Meadow Row
Pullovers
Close reverse grip pulldowns
Bicep curls.

I gave them a crack too after seeing them in this thread, I liked them, felt really naturally, but I'm sticking with rows for the time being as I just watched an Alan Thrall video that said it's ok to use momentum on heavy sets :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yuri Belkin is a freak.
Lightest person (by about 20kg) to ever squat and deadlift 400kg in the same comp.

Yuri Belkin is a freak.
Lightest person (by about 20kg) to ever squat and deadlift 400kg in the same comp.

Holy sheet, that sumo deadlift stance.

Holy sheet, that sumo deadlift stance.

His deadlift levers are probably second only to Lamar Gant (who had a 1 in a billion scoliosis).
Definitely the best of any of the current elite lifters.

Don't know if i'll ever consistently train deadlifts

Just don't like them, so I don't, which I feel you can get away with.

Each to their own, but I reckon if you can physically do them, then you should.

Bang for buck wise they are just too good to pass up.

What don't you like about them, or just generally?

Each to their own, but I reckon if you can physically do them, then you should.

Bang for buck wise they are just too good to pass up.

What don't you like about them, or just generally?
Find them very fatiguing, but I’m also always worrying about my form.

Similar to the knee on bench db rows where I would worry about form, which I have now have also cut out.

That doubt doesn’t make me enjoy them.

Find them very fatiguing, but I’m also always worrying about my form.

Similar to the knee on bench db rows where I would worry about form, which I have now have also cut out.

That doubt doesn’t make me enjoy them.

Yeah, they are very fatiguing, I only do them every 4th session, training 3x per week and only do 1 X 5 workset, that's enough ATM to keep progressing.

On the hamstring exercise question the fit ball curl is an absolute ripper when done correctly in a controlled manner. It absolutely smashes your hammies whilst engaging the core. Now I have moved to a home gym I find it invaluable.

I've started do this exercise after reading this post. I love it. I really feel an awesome stretch in my hamstrings too.

Does everyone else feel hot when regularly training? I don't mean during training - but 24/7 - my body temp feels elevated even though it's not, I've checked with a thermometer and it's normal.

Just feel pretty hot, all the time, especially the day after a heavy session.

I also sweat a lot more and a lot more easily.

Cardio doesn't do it, just heavy weights

These aren't problems, just wondering what's going on with the body?

Does everyone else feel hot when regularly training? I don't mean during training - but 24/7 - my body temp feels elevated even though it's not, I've checked with a thermometer and it's normal.

Just feel pretty hot, all the time, especially the day after a heavy session.

I also sweat a lot more and a lot more easily.

Cardio doesn't do it, just heavy weights

These aren't problems, just wondering what's going on with the body?

Menopause?

Also, depending on where you put the thermometer it may be a poor indication of your body’s actual temperature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back