Mass Weight Training: Building Muscle - A Tribute to Kong

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the outcome if you do a lot of cardio e.g. bikes, runs, boxing etc as well as doing a lot of benching, squatting etc? Will that make you both put on muscle and drop weight, hence making you more toned etc?
Sure, you can do both and it will make you more 'toned'. Be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices out of the gym if you want to do it consistently though.

Need a perfect diet, warm ups & downs, stretching and a supplement or two if you want to do it well. Hard to back it up day after day, except if you're on Centrelink and/or do nothing most days.

I've started a new program trying to build size, currently training:

Monday: Chest/Delts.
Tuesday: Core.
Wednesday: Back.
Thursday: Legs.
Friday: Arms.
Saturday: Rest day.
Sunday: Cardio.

I've noticed since doing squats (started June) I've gained quite a bit of muscle in my legs/glutes.

But yeah I dropped doing cardio everyday in March and started lifting weights, works wonders :p

I've noticed since doing squats (started June) I've gained quite a bit of muscle in my legs/glutes.

But yeah I dropped doing cardio everyday in March and started lifting weights, works wonders :p

keep up the good work

Only thing I would suggest is more core work. With the amount that the core is used everyday, in everything you do, one big core session isn't enough.

if you're trying to gain size then how will an entire session dedicated to core and arms get you there? and why does everything else get their own day except delts?

Well I would like to have a strong core, I want definition so my trainer told me I should do a solid core day.

It's only my second week of the program so I'll see how it goes, I explained to him what I want and he wrote it up for me. Previous to that I was just doing arms/legs/hiit on a rotation.

I guess we'll see if it works :)

Only thing I would suggest is more core work. With the amount that the core is used everyday, in everything you do, one big core session isn't enough.

He argued that with a lot of the other days I'm using my core throughout those exercises. Core day is probably my least favourite day haha.

I rotate between hanging knee raises, butterfly sit ups, planking, hanging leg raises, errr ... the other two escape my memory right now.

It usually take between 45 minutes to an hour.

All a girl wants is a flat stomach and abs! And yes I am aware most of that is diet controlled :)

Well I would like to have a strong core, I want definition so my trainer told me I should do a solid core day.

It's only my second week of the program so I'll see how it goes, I explained to him what I want and he wrote it up for me. Previous to that I was just doing arms/legs/hiit on a rotation.

I guess we'll see if it works :)

He argued that with a lot of the other days I'm using my core throughout those exercises. Core day is probably my least favourite day haha.

terrible advice from someone who should know better but let me ask you this:

if i offered up a million dollars to the winner of the "best core" award in 4 weeks time what would you do - train the core 1/week like now or every single day?

shorter multiple sessions per week are a million times better then 1 single session/week

And I'm aware you can't spot reduce.

shorter multiple sessions per week are a million times better then 1 single session/week

I plank/side plank after every session I do, but I'll see how this program goes. Thanks for the advice though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mainly I do core because yes I would like abs, I am aware that by doing squats, deads etc (which I do) I am also working my core.

Le siiiiiigh.

I'm sorry if I am not as knowledgeable as all of you :rainbow:

Sorry, just noticed your username/alias - are you female?

And what age are we talking?

Yes weights will be far more beneficial than running etc, but core days really are unneceassary and would be better used to get some cardio work in or simply rest. The core exercises you mention can be completed in 10-15 mins at the end of the session if you really feel the need to do them. Greg Plitt who focuses more on abs than most 'celebs' out there only puts this amount of time into abs every other day.

And it's not about not being knowledgeable at all. Plenty of people come on to this forum for advice, they get given advice and then don't like it, then are never seen again. Just wasting the time of people who are willing to help.

Wood chops are great for abs & obliques plus core.
Buy long handled rubber mullet & a tractor tyre, a minute on a minute off is a good way to end a work out.

Alright Pez, since you wanted more gym talk and I'm trying to procrastinate from doing work I thought I'd throw my current routine up. Doing an 8 day cycle at the moment:

Pull 1
Pull up - 3x?
Chin up - 3x?
BB Rows - 3x8
Rev Fly - 3x12
BB Curls - 3x12
Calf Raise - 3x12

Push 1
Dips - 3x?
BB Bench - 3x8
DB Incline - 3x12
BB Shoulder Press - 3x8
CGBP - 3x12
Dips - 3x?

Legs 1
LB Squat 3x5
Box Squat 3x8
RDL - 3x8
Hammy Curls - 3x12
Calf - 3x12

Rest

Pull 2
Deadlifts - 3x5
Chin up - 3x?
Pull up 3x?
DB Row - 3x12
Incline Bench DB Curls - 3x12
Rev Curls - 3x12

Push 2
Dips 3x?
BB Incline - 3x8
DB Bench - 3x12
DB Shoulder Press - 3x12
Tri Kickbacks - 3x12
Dips - 3x?

Legs 2
LB Squat - 3x5
Front Squat - 3x8
Single RDL - 3x12
Hammy Curls - 3x12
Calf Raise - 3x12

Rest

- Roughly tried to get a mix of one heavier compound and one higher rep single-sided movement per cycle. Helps keep things fresh and stops me worrying about my dominant side carrying the other too much. Plus I love the burn DB movements give me

- My dips suck so I not only moved them to the front of my push days, but I try to pump out a few more to finish, usually pretty unsuccessfully by that stage

- Finish leg days with a set of single leg squats, though they're usually screaming by then

- Was deadlifting twice a week but once I hit a heavy enough weight (by my weakling standards) it started getting a bit draining (mentally mostly), so switched to once per cycle

- Kickbacks weren't my first choice for a single tri movement, but they're the only other exercise I can do that doesn't twinge my shoulders

- My dips suck so I not only moved them to the front of my push days, but I try to pump out a few more to finish, usually pretty unsuccessfully by that stage

My dips used to be horrible. In fact when I first started lifting, I couldn't even do one. Good to see you keep at it, every time I cycle them back into my routine I find a noticeable difference.
Push 1
Dips - 3x?
BB Bench - 3x8
DB Incline - 3x12
BB Shoulder Press - 3x8
CGBP - 3x12
Dips - 3x?
How does three forms of BP go in one session? That's heavy, man. Can you split into 'Push 2'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back