MRP / Trib. Weightmans dive

Remove this Banner Ad

Weak as piss. Brad Scott the latest in a line of people who do duck all about staging.

Because being upset at a bad umpire decision is way more damaging to the game than flogs staging in marking contests, or ducking in to tackles, or acting like they have been shot in the face when tackled fairly.

Because being upset at a bad umpire decision is way more damaging to the game than flogs staging in marking contests, or ducking in to tackles, or acting like they have been shot in the face when tackled fairly.

Beggars belief eh.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think either of them dived. It's so easy to be pushed off balance when you are just about to leave the ground in a jumping motion. The arm flailing is a natural reaction when you are trying to right yourself in the air.

Dude, most of us here have played football, and without the core strength or balance these guys have. We know they were both dives.

Unless you think frost and guthrie have telekenetic powers, you only need to understand physics to see that both were massive horrific dives. hawkins in particular was olympic worthy
They're both dives, but Hawkins was a dive taken to exaggerate a block that was "there-ish". Weightman was a dive to create something that didn't exist. Thats why Weightman's is worse. Weighman's dive is much closer to Jimmy Bartel's dive than Hawkins.

It high tackle equivalence, Hawkins has dropped at the knees and ducked down to cause a tackle to result in high contact. Weightman has thrown his head back when the opponent has just grabbed his hips.

The actual video and slo-mo replay:

And the Hawkins one that's been mentioned for comparison (MRO called it exaggeration, but not excessive exaggeration, so no fine):

Yet, I believe Harry McKay is the only player to be penalised for staging this year. McKay might have put some mayo on it, but there was actual contact, during a stop in play, after a mark had been awarded, when Chol should have been exiting the protected area (wasn't even in the contest), but instead walks straight at Harry and leans into him to make deliberate contact. What should have been a 50 for either prohibited contact, or being in the protected area, was no penalty to Chol and a fine to Harry.

1654586541981.png If you watch this angle, he goes from having his whole weight on his left leg and looking like he might veer off the left, to shifting his whole weight to his right leg, while leaning towards Harry, drops the shoulder in and raises the arm for a push off at the end.
All of the ridiculous staging that has gotten away scot free and they fine this.

They're both dives, but Hawkins was a dive taken to exaggerate a block that was "there-ish". Weightman was a dive to create something that didn't exist. Thats why Weightman's is worse. Weighman's dive is much closer to Jimmy Bartel's dive than Hawkins.

It high tackle equivalence, Hawkins has dropped at the knees and ducked down to cause a tackle to result in high contact. Weightman has thrown his head back when the opponent has just grabbed his hips.
theyre identical. both get a minor touch to the shoulder region and go down like theyve been hit by a truck. hawkins is far, far worse with the sideways star jump he does. its absolutely comical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins has tickets in the bank acquired over a long and successful career. Did he exaggerate the dive? Yes. But I can’t recall Hawkins being interviewed early on in the career and highlighting that he accentuates contact or considers playing for frees an art.

Flopman is very much in the infancy on his career.. he’s done fk all in a career sense other than establish a reputation of being a diver. There will be times where he is genuinely pushed and should be awarded a free, but his reputation as a diver will precede him and chances are the frees won’t be paid because of the situation he has created.

Every time he plays for a free, he takes his intent and attention away from winning the contest / ball to focusing instead of garnering the umpire’s attention. It’s detrimental to his and his team’s game.

Hawkins has tickets in the bank acquired over a long and successful career. Did he exaggerate the dive? Yes. But I can’t recall Hawkins being interviewed early on in the career and highlighting that he accentuates contact or considers playing for frees an art.

Flopman is very much in the infancy on his career.. he’s done fk all in a career sense other than establish a reputation of being a diver. There will be times where he is genuinely pushed and should be awarded a free, but his reputation as a diver will precede him and chances are the frees won’t be paid because of the situation he has created.

This. If Hawkins puts a bit of mayo on an incident after 300+ games of not getting paid frees that are there- and the statistics show he doesn't get paid them- then I think he's more than earned the right to be a bit theatrical in making that point.

theyre identical. both get a minor touch to the shoulder region and go down like theyve been hit by a truck. hawkins is far, far worse with the sideways star jump he does. its absolutely comical.
The free kick against Hawkins occurs before the dive. He's blocked by Frost while both are trying to get to the contest. Not because of the touch on his shoulder region. If Hawkins doesn't take a belly flop and no free kick is given, then the situation is Geelong miss a free kick that was there.

The end result from Hawkins flop is that Geelong had a free kick, which they should've had. Personally I think the block on Hawkins goes into the "geez I wish they'd pay that to my team" category. And he still should've been fined.

If the umpire was fooled by Weightman's flop, then the Dogs end up with a free kick they shouldn't have had.

This is why Weightman's is worse.

This. If Hawkins puts a bit of mayo on an incident after 300+ games of not getting paid frees that are there- and the statistics show he doesn't get paid them- then I think he's more than earned the right to be a bit theatrical in making that point.
Hawkins not getting soft frees is more than offset by the amount of times he's allowed to shove his defenders in the back. The one against Harris Andrews this year was one of the lesser times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back