Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are Collingwood fans thoughts on this? As romantic as it is i don't see a real need for Beams with Collingwood's strong midfield?

I'd have thought the money and trade asset would be better spent on a key forward or defender.

I guess he is still only 28 and Pendlebury is on his last legs so can be his replacement, but still.
Agree we have a strong midfield, but even that got beaten in the grand final.
Beams can release Degoey into the midfield, and even Stephenson to a wing also. Gives us a few more options.
We have holes in our list agree, but it depends on who else they are considering. With Darcy and Dunn hopefully right to go at the start next year so our key backs should be right.
If Mihocek keeps improving our key forward might not be to bad a long with cox, with Reid as a back up.
I am not overly strong on getting him back, but can see the benefits of the move.

No doubt, but i feel given the strength of your midfield already, the % it improves your midfield is less than the % the money and trade assets could improve either your forward line or defence.

Eg You already have a midfield good enough to win a premiership...but imagine spending the assets on a key defender like May or forward like Mitch McGovern instead of Beams...i'd imagine those kind of players would be more beneficial. Obviously the club may have tried to lure players like that and were simply unable to this trade period, but you get my point.
Oh I know. We would certainly benefit from another defender. I think they knew we were out of the race for May pretty early on in this trade, and missed out on Adams too. Could always pick one up in the rookie draft mid year, that they are starting next season.

No doubt, but i feel given the strength of your midfield already, the % it improves your midfield is less than the % the money and trade assets could improve either your forward line or defence.

Eg You already have a midfield good enough to win a premiership...but imagine spending the assets on a key defender like May or forward like Mitch McGovern instead of Beams...i'd imagine those kind of players would be more beneficial. Obviously the club may have tried to lure players like that and were simply unable to this trade period, but you get my point.

I somewhat agree and really wanted May. But it seems we just don't have enough picks to get him. We might look to nab him in free agency next year perhaps?

I think if we have Moore, Dunn, Langdon, Reid, Scharenberg and Howe all fit at the same time our backline will be solid, and Moore could play forward if needs be.

That being said, in the end we lost the grand final due to Shuey destroying our midfield, and McGovern taking marks. In a mid of our supposed depth, it's crazy to think we were almost single handedly dismantled in the midfield by Shuey.

I think our forward line and backline will naturally improve with experience, and players returning from injury. Having Beams might be good whilst Sier develops over the next two years. Beams can play as a marking half forward type, too, as he ages.

Today at 8:50pm

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...e/news-story/e2815d87af4bc07802f2e020d3f47800

Paywall!!! Can someone repost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://outline.com/8235yL

Collingwood and Brisbane admit agreeing a trade on Dayne Beams will be difficult to finalise
OCTOBER 11, 2018BRISBANE and Collingwood concede a deal for Dayne Beams will be extremely difficult three days out from the trade deadline.

Beams, 29, wants to return to Melbourne to be closer to family and friends and reunite with some of his 2010 premiership teammates at the Holden Centre.

But the brilliant midfielder is yet to submit an official request and make his intentions public because of any embarrassment it may cause if the two clubs are unable to strike a deal before Wednesday’s 8.30pm (EDT) trade deadline.

WRAP: THE BIG NAMES STILL ON THE TRADE TABLE

TRADE: BEAMS BACKFLIP: MAGPIES MOVE BACK ON

Collingwood looks to be handcuffed unless it is prepared to offer a future first or second-round pick to pass on to Brisbane for Beams.

The Magpies have picks No.18, 51, 56 and 57 but will need to use their top pick to snare dashing academy prospect Isaac Quaynor and father-son prospect Will Kelly under the draft points system.

The Herald Sun understands the Lions and Magpies have made contact in recent days about Beams and have jointly conceded a deal would be incredibly challenging to clinch so late in the exchange period.

Dayne Beams leads Brisbane off after a loss.
Collingwood is yet to make any offers to Brisbane for Beams and there is minimal time to try and sway other Collingwood players to move north to clinch a deal.

While the Beams camp will ramp up efforts to bring the two clubs to the negotiating table over the next 48 hours, sources said Collingwood would most likely have to fork out a future first or second-round pick to make any progress on a deal.

But Brisbane has little interest in 2019 draft picks as it looks to keep Beams, add Fremantle ball-winner Lachie Neale, and jump up into the eight with an elite midfield next season.

Collingwood already has one of the competition’s top midfields but could still use Beams as a goalkicking onballer alongside Jordan De Goey, Daniel Wells and Steele Sidebottom next season.

Beams won a best-and-fairest in 2012 at Collingwood but shocked the club with a request to Brisbane to be with his father.

Dayne Beams during his days at Collingwood. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
His father passed away this year, prompting a re-think on his footballing future, but Beams remains contracted to the Queensland club or two more years.

The Lions are becoming increasingly frustrated by the Dockers stance on Lachie Neale.

Brisbane has offered pick No.5 for the tough nut onballer but Fremantle wants a second pick in the mid-teens for its dual best-and-fairest winner.

The Lions believe pick No.5 is a fair swap for Neale and have so far refused to sweeten the deal.

The Herald Sun last week revealed Neale told Fremantle footy boss Peter Bell he would not play for the Dockers under any circumstances next year.

Neale has voiced concerns about aspects of the club’s direction.

" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 67); font-family: "Adobe Garamond Pro", Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif, -apple-system, system-ui, "Segoe UI", "Droid Sans", "Helvetica Neue", "PingFang SC", "Hiragino Sans GB", "Droid Sans Fallback", "Microsoft YaHei", sans-serif, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
BRISBANE and Collingwood concede a deal for Dayne Beams will be extremely difficult three days out from the trade deadline.

Beams, 29, wants to return to Melbourne to be closer to family and friendsand reunite with some of his 2010 premiership teammates at the Holden Centre.

But the brilliant midfielder is yet to submit an official request and make his intentions public because of any embarrassment it may cause if the two clubs are unable to strike a deal before Wednesday’s 8.30pm (EDT) trade deadline.

WRAP: THE BIG NAMES STILL ON THE TRADE TABLE

TRADE: BEAMS BACKFLIP: MAGPIES MOVE BACK ON

Collingwood looks to be handcuffed unless it is prepared to offer a future first or second-round pick to pass on to Brisbane for Beams.

The Magpies have picks No.18, 51, 56 and 57 but will need to use their top pick to snare dashing academy prospect Isaac Quaynor and father-son prospect Will Kelly under the draft points system.

The Herald Sun understands the Lions and Magpies have made contact in recent days about Beams and have jointly conceded a deal would be incredibly challenging to clinch so late in the exchange period.

Dayne Beams leads Brisbane off after a loss.
Collingwood is yet to make any offers to Brisbane for Beams and there is minimal time to try and sway other Collingwood players to move north to clinch a deal.

While the Beams camp will ramp up efforts to bring the two clubs to the negotiating table over the next 48 hours, sources said Collingwood would most likely have to fork out a future first or second-round pick to make any progress on a deal.

But Brisbane has little interest in 2019 draft picks as it looks to keep Beams, add Fremantle ball-winner Lachie Neale, and jump up into the eight with an elite midfield next season.

Collingwood already has one of the competition’s top midfields but could still use Beams as a goalkicking onballer alongside Jordan De Goey, Daniel Wells and Steele Sidebottom next season.

Beams won a best-and-fairest in 2012 at Collingwood but shocked the club with a request to Brisbane to be with his father.

Dayne Beams during his days at Collingwood. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
His father passed away this year, prompting a re-think on his footballing future, but Beams remains contracted to the Queensland club or two more years.

The Lions are becoming increasingly frustrated by the Dockers stance on Lachie Neale.

Brisbane has offered pick No.5 for the tough nut onballer but Fremantle wants a second pick in the mid-teens for its dual best-and-fairest winner.

The Lions believe pick No.5 is a fair swap for Neale and have so far refused to sweeten the deal.

The Herald Sun last week revealed Neale told Fremantle footy boss Peter Bell he would not play for the Dockers under any circumstances next year.

Neale has voiced concerns about aspects of the club’s direction.

I believe Josh Thomas kicked close to 40 goals this year.

Not sure why some want to trade him.

Not only that - he was our most reliable forward for much of the second half of the season. When WHE and Stepho had dry patches, and De Goey either struggled to get into games or when he missed those two weeks, Thomas was the one guy we could turn to for a combination of scoreboard impact and forward pressure.

I’d rather trade Hoskin-Elliott than Thomas (not that I’d trade WHE, but I value Thomas very highly)

Shall we give you a deadline like your recruiting did 4 years ago. Beams is all about himself but if he wants to go home to Melbourne he shouldn’t get to pick where he goes .

Shall we give you a deadline like your recruiting did 4 years ago. Beams is all about himself but if he wants to go home to Melbourne he shouldn’t get to pick where he goes .
He got to pick where he went in Queensland

Funny that’s what we said, had the Gold Coast too. Tough luck.
Players get to pick the best deal. Get used to it
Is Neale dealing with Gold Coast too

Not really Neale isn’t leaving Fremantle for mental health or reasons to return home he is specifically picking as a destination for his football career . If so important for beams to get home there are 9 other Melbourne teams. At end of day he is worth more to lions next year then pick 18 this year even if he has no value next year which he will . He will be playing with Brisbane next heat because you have nothing even remotely to offer.

Not really Neale isn’t leaving Fremantle for mental health or reasons to return home he is specifically picking as a destination for his football career . If so important for beams to get home there are 9 other Melbourne teams. At end of day he is worth more to lions next year then pick 18 this year even if he has no value next year which he will . He will be playing with Brisbane next heat because you have nothing even remotely to offer.
I don't understand your logic though, beams and neale are both contracted but its only okay for neale to nominate because it benefits you? Come on stop being stupid, the guy is 29 what could you realistically ask for him? I think 18 and next years second is more then fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree we have a strong midfield, but even that got beaten in the grand final.
Beams can release Degoey into the midfield, and even Stephenson to a wing also. Gives us a few more options.
We have holes in our list agree, but it depends on who else they are considering. With Darcy and Dunn hopefully right to go at the start next year so our key backs should be right.
If Mihocek keeps improving our key forward might not be to bad a long with cox, with Reid as a back up.
I am not overly strong on getting him back, but can see the benefits of the move.
I reckon we will reinvent Roughead as a fullback. At 200cms, he’s a big unit, strong grab and mobile.

Oh I know. We would certainly benefit from another defender. I think they knew we were out of the race for May pretty early on in this trade, and missed out on Adams too. Could always pick one up in the rookie draft mid year, that they are starting next season.
Word is Dunn May be ready to go early in the year but we will likely take a cautious approach with Scharenberg. It’s likely the Pies will use Roughead at fullback. He’s 200cm, 100kg, strong mark and mobile.

Last edited:
Then don’t complain when you have to keep paying him big $$$ next year if he misses big chunks of the season due to mental health issues exacerbated by the Lions holding him to his contract. How you like them apples?

Answer this then, we're you equally outraged when he chose your mob only and not the gold coast as well when he was moving from Collingwood.
I look forward to your answer to see that you don't come out looking a complete hypocrite

Answer this then, we're you equally outraged when he chose your mob only and not the gold coast as well when he was moving from Collingwood.
I look forward to your answer to see that you don't come out looking a complete hypocrite
I think it is a troll account and we won't see him again.

There is a poster on the draft forum that has a 3 way trade where we effectively give up Oxley and our 1st next year for Beams.

Complicated trade but points are worth more than our pick 18.

There is a poster on the draft forum that has a 3 way trade where we effectively give up Oxley and our 1st next year for Beams.

Complicated trade but points are worth more than our pick 18.
I would prefer to keep pick 18. They can have Oxley because we will be paying a 29 year old $750k a year. Too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back