Certified Legendary Thread Welcome Tim Taranto & Jacob Hopper

Remove this Banner Ad

Even with an injury, Players who can play show they can play, you can tell if you're a keen observer, he hasn't shown much at all to be fair.
Prestia has been battling injury most of his career yet he has shown he can play.

These two players are really grating on me ---considering the price we paid. But the defenders are going to defend.
Thanks Mr keen observer.

i think GWS deserve a lot of credit here,theyve offloaded what , 5 x midfield top 12 draft picks over the past 4 years ?
and theyve got evryone of them right,kept Kelly,Coniglio,Green,Whitfield,Ward,Ash whilst moving Shiel,Taranto,Hopper,Bruhn and a few others on.
theyve always offloaded the worst disposers of the pill under the pump first.unfortunately RFC deemed it worthwhile chasing not 1 but 2 of them:shrug:

i think GWS deserve a lot of credit here,theyve offloaded what , 5 x midfield top 12 draft picks over the past 4 years ?
and theyve got evryone of them right,kept Kelly,Coniglio,Green,Whitfield,Ward,Ash whilst moving Shiel,Taranto,Hopper,Bruhn and a few others on.
theyve always offloaded the worst disposers of the pill under the pump first.unfortunately RFC deemed it worthwhile chasing not 1 but 2 of them:shrug:
Perks of the cheat academy giving them an unlimited supply of high quality mids that they can trade out for first rounders to draft in more high quality mids to trade out

Hopper never used to be this bad at GWS so not sure what is going on with him, but we are into the second year now and he hasn't shown us much at all, in fact his kicking has got worse.

Injury, less game time (~10% drop), less time in his best position (spent time rotating at HF and out of the midfield), and statistically, out of his 8 seasons at AFL, he had his 3rd best season for kicking efficiency.

I'm bullish that Hopper can regain his best form and justify the trade. We poached Prestia also and having watched RCD and Corey Ellis types soon playing suburban footy. Im considering Bolton's more a small forward, Graham not up to it, Conca a clusterf@$k selection we really have to go back to Dusty in 2009 draft since we drafted and developed a quality mid. I'm hoping out of Ross, Dow and Sonsie we can potentially end up with one A grade and 2 B graders but who knows?

Is Dow going to be an elusive little turd like Butters or will the big boys start monstering him if they identify he can actually play? Time will tell. Ross has proven he can mix it up with the best. Sonsie slipped from top 5 to pick 30 for a reason. Hopefully he proves the doubters wrong? It sucks that we flopped and the Hopper pick was so low but that happens.

I'm pretty sure Hopper and Taranto are desperate to lift the cup and soon the media will be saying the Taranto contract is the biggest steal since Allister Lynch. Hopefully they're saying it about Hopper too. I've got connections at North will find out soon enough for sure but had heard at Christmas catchup Cheezel wanted $1 mil a year extension, which was unbelievable as he already had a 4 year deal. Crazy.

Last edited:
That's my worry his DE was poor in a practice match so imagine when the heat is on?
His disposal was fine the week before and was on par for inside mids last season.

He's not in the team for his foots kills. We got him to win the footy. This is why we need guys like Sonsie, Banks and Clarke in the side ASAP so he can give it off to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting take .. we also got rid of Adams, a butcher, and Treloar not much better. As well as hately, delisted by crows, and Caldwell.
Im sure Jacob will come good as he played much better for us than he has shown for you guys.

Interesting take .. we also got rid of Adams, a butcher, and Treloar not much better. As well as hately, delisted by crows, and Caldwell.
Im sure Jacob will come good as he played much better for us than he has shown for you guys.
Nah mate, he had a s**t practice match. Dud, delist.

His disposal was fine the week before and was on par for inside mids last season.

He's not in the team for his foots kills. We got him to win the footy. This is why we need guys like Sonsie, Banks and Clarke in the side ASAP so he can give it off to them.
i think his hands were a bigger issue than his feet. He will struggle to win the footy bc he's often second to it bc he's so slow.

i think his hands were a bigger issue than his feet. He will struggle to win the footy bc he's often second to it bc he's so slow.
Don’t think that quite stacks up
Had it 23 times against the pies and that was on a fraction over 65% game time
Has no trouble finishing the pill

Are you referring to by hands or feet or both. He was awful.
Not his ball use (agree that was terrible against the pies) but simply being able to win the ball in the first place

You said he will struggle because he is to slow

39% DE though, has anyone seen a stat so low? I thought Dusty was s**t and he was still over 50%
Willing to give the benefit of the doubt simply because it was a practice game

If it’s actually becoming a trend by like round 3 it would be something worth worrying about but not much point trying to re invent the wheel after one poor game in that area when last year he was actually quite composed when he was on the park

Edit: Just looked it up and he went at 70% last year so definitely not stressing about one poor game

Willing to give the benefit of the doubt simply because it was a practice game

If it’s actually becoming a trend by like round 3 it would be something worth worrying about but not much point trying to re invent the wheel after one poor game in that area when last year he was actually quite composed when he was on the park

Edit: Just looked it up and he went at 70% last year so definitely not stressing about one poor game

My concern would more be our combination of players. Surely for Hopper to be his best, he needs quicker classy players around him. Surrounded by Taranto, Prestia, Graham and Martin its just way too one paced for any of them to look their best. Then given our forwardline issues we can't exactly dump kick the ball long anymore either.

My concern would more be our combination of players. Surely for Hopper to be his best, he needs quicker classy players around him. Surrounded by Taranto, Prestia, Graham and Martin its just way too one paced for any of them to look their best. Then given our forwardline issues we can't exactly dump kick the ball long anymore either.
Yeah agree with that
Hopefully Dow can continue to develop his outside game to complement, he has shown he can get in and win his own ball so now I want to see him learning when it’s better to keep himself on the outside for the receive if that makes sense

I notice it a lot with Dusty and Bolton unless they know they are the one who is fully committing to winning a ball they position themselves well to receive that outlet handball

Also have high hopes for Sonsie to work into that outside role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back