Senior 11. Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't particularly excited for McGovern early on, but that's only because I saw him as not the most necessary of pieces, but somehow that has changed.

We do though need to get the right smalls to operate around these talls. McGovern is a pack-breaker and that will come in very handy, but I'm just not sure how handy that may be without goal-kicking crumbers. Who knows....that may change come Thursday night.

I wasn't particularly excited for McGovern early on, but that's only because I saw him as not the most necessary of pieces, but somehow that has changed.

We do though need to get the right smalls to operate around these talls. McGovern is a pack-breaker and that will come in very handy, but I'm just not sure how handy that may be without goal-kicking crumbers. Who knows....that may change come Thursday night.

It will be interesting to see how the 6-6-6 centre bounce rules impact us, I am hoping that we will be able to have Harry, Charlies & Mitch in one on one marking contests which they would be highly favoured to win.

It will be interesting to see how the 6-6-6 centre bounce rules impact us, I am hoping that we will be able to have Harry, Charlies & Mitch in one on one marking contests which they would be highly favoured to win.

It's an unusual tall combination we now have up forward.

What else is unusual are the listed heights of two of these talls.
We know McKay is 204cm and not the 200cm listed.
What I don't see is McGovern being 190 & CCurnow 194. That can't be right. They'd be the same height for my reckoning and about 191/2.

Anyway and I may well be wrong, but wonder whether McGovern may take up a Fevola-type role.
I wonder whether Bolton sees a bit of Fev in him. Probably not, but would love to know what we really liked about him, above many others.

What I don't see is McGovern being 190 & CCurnow 194. That can't be right. They'd be the same height for my reckoning and about 191/2.

Anyway and I may well be wrong, but wonder whether McGovern may take up a Fevola-type role.
I wonder whether Bolton sees a bit of Fev in him. Probably not, but would love to know what we really liked about him, above many others.
The mobility of all 3 makes them a dangerous combo in my opinion. Just need someone like Pickett or Polson to emerge as dangerous pressure forwards and we have the makings of a decent forward line.

20181120_123048.jpg

A point of reference from Friday Harks. Probably right on these two. By the eye test Charlie appears to have McGovern and even Marchbank covered...I'd have him at 194/5 now.

He is an interesting welcome... I'd really love to know the "real" reason he chose to come to us.
I think it's simple as we chased hard over a couple of years, then a few things fell in our favour...dissatisfaction with Crows, Teague coming on board, emergence of a handy young forward line/weekly ticket to the Curnow show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be looking forward to the training pics/videos this year as even though Jnr. Mittsy and his brother have always had a bit of sloppy rig syndrome about them and performed, would certainly like to see him in better shape. First time ever I've had full trust in our conditioning staff which is great. Looking forward to Mitch's contribution this year and hope he kicks a bag against the Crows.

Am I crazy thinking I get an 'Earl Spalding' vibe about MM's recruitment to us ? Think he will provide great service and become a cult figure, in much the same way The Duke was.
His already broken Collingwood hearts once before with that after the siren goal to win the game at the G, so he has already endeared himself to me.

I can't see anything but good things with Mitch at our footy club, gives the coaching staff plenty of versatility for our foward line/attacking options and rotations (and can go back when required).

Am I crazy thinking I get an 'Earl Spalding' vibe about MM's recruitment to us ? Think he will provide great service and become a cult figure, in much the same way The Duke was.
His already broken Collingwood hearts once before with that after the siren goal to win the game at the G, so he has already endeared himself to me.

I can't see anything but good things with Mitch at our footy club, gives the coaching staff plenty of versatility for our foward line/attacking options and rotations (and can go back when required).
Loved Earl..but I reckon Mitch will be better.

as dissapointing as it is, he kicked the goal to tie the game not win it

I havent gone through this thread but any possibility he could be turned into an intercepting defender like his older brother? Mitch is more mobile, if he could make the transition he could be the better player of the two.
He's more gifted in terms of aerial marking than his brother, and probably better at ground level as well. I think he is a natural forward.

Last edited:
Provided our expectations of him are reasonable, I think he'll do really well. He's a great complimentary piece. Doesn't matter what we paid now, he's gonna take some third defenders to the cleaners over the next few years.

Provided our expectations of him are reasonable, I think he'll do really well. He's a great complimentary piece. Doesn't matter what we paid now, he's gonna take some third defenders to the cleaners over the next few years.
Welcome Mitch, a great pick up. The best thing about Mitch being at Carlton is he's not at Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back