Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : MSD Pick 12, Brandon Ryan, debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he can put some mass on quickly. His biggest weakness is that he is able to
moved so easily.

But despite that he is still very productive on the scoreboard.

That pick up off his boot from Breust’s soccer pass into the goal square was CLEAN. Only needed to throw a boot at it but showed some impressive coordination for a 200cm tower.
Not sure if he needs to add mass as it may change his playing style too much. Quite like the rangy unorthodox style.

I'd actually equate him to Harris Andrews, but in offence. Obviously he's a couple of seasons behind in core development but has that uncanny reach and timing.

John Barker comparisons?
He reminds me more of the King brothers. We have to play him for the rest of the season. He’ll get better, still looked nervous start of the game, but that is understandable with how far he has come. That pick up on the line from Breust’s kick was phenomenal for such a big guy.

He is actually quite good even when the ball hits the ground despite being 200cm. A full pre-season will help.
That pickup in the goal square off Breust's soccer was awesome.

That’s my call. He’s awkward like Johnny was but has an uncanny knack to do some really special stuff.
Except in the kicking. Johnny Barker's set shots were among the best anyone has ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Ryan with Lewis/Kosi just improves our forward structure that creates more avenues to goal …….. even if a mark is not taken the ball spills bringing the smalls into the game.
That's my biggest take from the addition or Ryan. All three are benefiting and the smalls actually have something to rove. Breust looks like a new man.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

I'll remind everyone of something I heard a few seasons ago. Someone was talking to Fritsch and Kozi, and they both said they love playing with Ben Brown. Because his arms are so long, when he doesn't grab the mark it falls very predictably and is a dream to crumb off. Sammy mentioned it in the post game presser, but even the marks he didn't grab dropped in great positions for Bruesty and Co to crumb. Stick him at full forward for the next 5 years, draft talent around him to take advantage of the situations he creates. He's never winning a Coleman, but he might just be our second most important forward in a few years

I'll remind everyone of something I heard a few seasons ago. Someone was talking to Fritsch and Kozi, and they both said they love playing with Ben Brown. Because his arms are so long, when he doesn't grab the mark it falls very predictably and is a dream to crumb off. Sammy mentioned it in the post game presser, but even the marks he didn't grab dropped in great positions for Bruesty and Co to crumb. Stick him at full forward for the next 5 years, draft talent around him to take advantage of the situations he creates. He's never winning a Coleman, but he might just be our second most important forward in a few years
Wizard come on down

That mark he took over the top of a pack including Kosi I think it was ……. he maybe 200cm but he’s got extra long arms too. He’s definitely got something!
I thought one of the commentators nailed it when he mentioned that having Ryan up there has not only benefited Lewis who was allowed to roam up to CHF and back but also Kosi. Having Ryan there has allowed Kosi to sometimes get the shorter of weaker defender.

Has great hands and with that reach will be a handful for defenders. That pick up at ground level was sublime. Lots to work with and why we wait 12 months before we contemplate a big move on another key forward.
The pick up was a fantastic sign from a tall player. Unconventional long-limbed effectiveness.

I'm stoked about to potential of this forward line with Lewis, Ryan and Kosi - it's a very versatile group, as all three have some ruck craft as well. I very much doubt though, that this is our long term plan for the forward line. Especially after seeing Lewis's effectiveness as a CHF, we'd be licking our lips looking at Ben King to play deep.

Lewis is our CHF. Having Ryan means we can play him there.

And, means we can play one of Kosi / DGB / Ramma as a 3rd Tall (allowing them to exploit 3rd Tall Defenders & hide some of their deficiencies which prevent them being 2nd KPF).

Haven't seen a debut like this since Luke Lowden!:heart:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back