Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so sure about Banks right now, and not a Dow fan.

Rather McAuliffe and Coulthard and Clark play and hopefully Bauer if the campaigners can stop breaking him.

Smith has plenty to get enthused about also but is slow progress post his injury and still being managed.

Coulthard and Clark are surely competing with MRJ, Campbell and Mansell though. Cant just load up with the same type of player.

People wanting to just load up kids is risky, if we do it and get blown out, the output of our senior players will then drop and the season will fall away.

What do kids really learn in a blow out loss? That North game against Lions last week for example, Brisbane smash them for the first half, then completely drop their pressure and the whole second half is junk time. What do the North younger players get out of that?

Compare that to Sonsie etc put in tight finishes a few weeks in a row against good opposition, making mistakes under pressure late. Surely learn more in that than 10 games getting smashed in a team thats too young.

We arent winning more than 6-7 games for the season anyway now without Lynch, but we need to stay competitive, its a very long season for a team that cant make finals already.

We have to persist with him. Imo none of the younger players should be dropped. Why can’t Pickett make way for baker ? He had an absolute shocker

Coulthard and Clark are surely competing with MRJ, Campbell and Mansell though. Cant just load up with the same type of player.

People wanting to just load up kids is risky, if we do it and get blown out, the output of our senior players will then drop and the season will fall away.

What do kids really learn in a blow out loss? That North game against Lions last week for example, Brisbane smash them for the first half, then completely drop their pressure and the whole second half is junk time. What do the North younger players get out of that?

Compare that to Sonsie etc put in tight finishes a few weeks in a row against good opposition, making mistakes under pressure late. Surely learn more in that than 10 games getting smashed in a team thats too young.

We arent winning more than 6-7 games for the season anyway now without Lynch, but we need to stay competitive, its a very long season for a team that cant make finals already.
The last two seasons have fallen away so we should have been putting 15-30 games into the kids as a lot of the senior players are shot. Guys like Sonsie, kmac2, Clarke, MRJ , Young , Miller , Campbell and Brown should be walk up starts and you rotate them with Banks, Dow, Trezise , Mansell , Smith and whoever to either rest them or drop them if they’re down on form. Kmac, Pickett, Grimes , Prestia , Short, Broad and JGTI should no longer be walk up starts as they are no longer offering anywhere near the output they once used to.

Last edited:

Think you are misremembering his first year

He was looking decent before his injury but to say he has regressed is just plain wrong

I don't think so. Career high averages in clearances, tackles and contested ball are all in what year for Jack Ross? His first year. That also includes an injured game.

Which is mainly due to being played out of position his whole career from that point on. They also famously made him lose weight to play off a flank and he lost a lot of his power and contested ability.

Last edited:
Short was subbed out, he was subbed on.

ah ok makes sense now.

Not sure i have the fks in the bank to re-watch this one. I was watching it at 9pm on replay, we were 4goals to nil up and i accidently saw the result on my FB and just turned it off. I probably will at some point to just see wtf happened, but im guessing it wasnt pretty

ah ok makes sense now.

Not sure i have the fks in the bank to re-watch this one. I was watching it at 9pm on replay, we were 4goals to nil up and i accidently saw the result on my FB and just turned it off. I probably will at some point to just see wtf happened, but im guessing it wasnt pretty
Did you go out to celebrate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to call him soft, but a few situations on the weekend it certainly looked that way.

For a guy that should have been really focussed over preseason I am a bit concerned with his stagnation in year 3. He doesn't really look any better than his first season.
In fairness, he isnt a forward, doesnt play forward in the VFL and hasnt trained as one. Its odd.

If I don't see him lining up standing next to Caleb Serong at a centre bounce come next Sunday...

Still can't believe he was dropped and JGTI with KMAC are still waddling along with almost two seasons of constant substandard performances. I am puzzled how our MC haven't worked out where the game has gone in terms of speed and transition linking over the last couple of years and we are still fielding teams with guys as defensive runners, who can't actually perform their duties bc they're too slow. At this stage with the age of our list and certain players retiring we need to be investing games into players like Sonsie, KMAC2 and others

Last edited:
Still can't believe he was dropped and JGTI with KMAC are still waddling along with almost two seasons of constant substandard performances. I am puzzled how our MC haven't worked out where the game has gone in terms of speed and transition linking over the last couple of years and we are still fielding teams with guys as defensive runners, who can't actually perform their duties bc they're too slow. At this stage with the age of our list and certain players retiring we need to be investing games into players like Sonsie, KMAC2 and others
Kmac2 is a beast and Sonsie has gotten his rig in proper order over the pre-season. We don't need underperforming veterans to shield these guys. If we're worried they'll run out of legs we have a mass of midfield rotations to share the load, we just need to be better at pulling that lever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back