News Welcome to the Collingwood Women's Team!

Remove this Banner Ad

At least we will get to hear from our CEO again.........haven't heard from him since our Netball license.

Should be a riveting Press Conference......

Does anyone know how this will actually work, with regards to who gets access to what players?

I'm assuming there'll be a draft to pick up the currently non-listed players around the country, but what about the ones already playing for the Dees/Dogs (Daisy Pearce, etc.)? I'm sure that those 2 teams won't keep all their players... if we are to assume that those 2 clubs will get a license.

Does anyone know how this will actually work, with regards to who gets access to what players?

I'm assuming there'll be a draft to pick up the currently non-listed players around the country, but what about the ones already playing for the Dees/Dogs (Daisy Pearce, etc.)? I'm sure that those 2 teams won't keep all their players... if we are to assume that those 2 clubs will get a license.

I am guessing it will be similar to the following.......The poaching wars: Collingwood v Richmond

Refer below :p

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-poaching-wars-collingwood-v-richmond/

There's going to be some sort of structure to each team.

I believe it's similar to this;

2 elite players per team (free agents)
A group of 5-6 next level players (through a draft)
The rest of the list made up of the "others".

The 2 elite players are said to be earning over 100k a year, so full time professionals that can sustain themselves through football alone.

We will find out the real details after 11 though.

It's as much a marketing tool as anything, to get more women/girls involved with the club at both a playing and membership level.

Long overdue.

I can see the press conference now ...

Ed: "Today is a very proud day for the Collingwood Football Club, and for women's sport in Australia ..."

Reporter: "Does Nathan Buckley's role remain tenable? ..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's going to be some sort of structure to each team.

I believe it's similar to this;

2 elite players per team (free agents)
A group of 5-6 next level players (through a draft)
The rest of the list made up of the "others".

The 2 elite players are said to be earning over 100k a year, so full time professionals that can sustain themselves through football alone.

We will find out the real details after 11 though.

It's as much a marketing tool as anything, to get more women/girls involved with the club at both a playing and membership level.

Long overdue.
I just saw the marquee players arrangement. Interesting that the one we picked is 34 years old.

No idea if she can play, coach, or whatever, but interesting nonetheless.

I think we'll need some early success if we really want current Collingwood supporters to have much interest.

I just saw the marquee players arrangement. Interesting that the one we picked is 34 years old.

No idea if she can play, coach, or whatever, but interesting nonetheless.

I think we'll need some early success if we really want current Collingwood supporters to have much interest.
I haven't seen the marquees yet, but am guessing that the 34 year old is Meg Hutchins, our womens football manager (as unveiled a month or so back).

And yeah it will be important for any team to start with a strong team to gather support.

I've been told that they get to choose 7 so players that they want to keep, and the rest go into the draft.

Ed: "Today is a very proud day for the Collingwood Football Club, and for women's sport in Australia ..."

Shows how little the Media care about them
Womens League.

That pretty Pathetic

Lots of unknowns about the women's comp, not least for our club, and there'll be some teething problems. But the spirit is there, and the skills and competitiveness of the competition will only get better as the competition cements itself. This is a fantastic day for the game.

You weren't too far off the mark. The last question was "Ed, we can't let you go without asking you about your men's team. Um... its not... it hasn't been the best of years..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back