Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Josh Jaska

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2017-11-27/nab-afl-rookie-draft-joshua-jaska

JaskaW.jpg

Gold Coast has selected tall defender Joshua Jaska with pick No. 2 in the Rookie Draft.

A 19-year old, top-age player from the Geelong Falcons, Jaska was a member of their premiership team.

He has developed significantly in the past year. After playing local footy last year for Anglesea, he represented Vic Country in 2017.

The 193cm-tall defender is tough, competitive, has great closing speed and is able to spoil regardless of the circumstance.

Last edited:
Rory Thompson would want to have a good year as they are stacking up on tall defenders

AFL Rookie Draft: Geelong Falcons, Anglesea defender Josh Jaska finds home on the Gold Coast
DAMIEN RACTLIFFE, Geelong Advertiser
November 27, 2017 4:28pm
Subscriber only
THE whirlwind ride for Josh Jaska reached another high tonight, with the Geelong Falcons teenager finding a rookie list spot at the Gold Coast Suns.

The Anglesea junior’s rise to prominence has been incredible.

Two years ago, not even Jaska could have foreseen a spot on an AFL list, such was his removal from the under-18 development competition.

But the decision to take football seriously in 2016 saw the 193cm defender play some starring football in Anglesea’s seniors.

926ef92a1b4d91abd6e139aace7005e0

Modewarre's Chris Mamalis gives Anglesea's Josh Jaska heaps in a 2016 BFL semi-final. Picture: Nathan Dyer
By the start of this season, Jaska was playing a crucial role in Geelong Falcons’ TAC Cup premiership.

“It’s been quite the experience, that’s for sure,” Jaska told the Geelong Advertiser earlier this month.

“It’s probably been a pretty big 12 months and I didn’t think coming into it I’d have as much fun in the Falcons program knowing how intense it can be at times.

“It’s been great for me and I think I’ve really flourished with the challenge of high-level football, for sure.

“I had a pretty good first five games and everyone was making a big deal and was probably surprised in how I was playing from where I’ve come from.

“I had a real down patch through Vic Country — I didn’t play great football and was a bit down on confidence — that took me back a little bit.

“But I sort of set myself for the last six or seven games before finals to get myself confidence back and really go hard the last four games before finals.”
Falcons talent manager Mick Turner was optimistic Jaska would find an AFL home.

“He’s what AFL clubs want — he’s tall, going to put on weight, got good closing speed, a good spoiler of the ball. I would hope he would at least get rookied,” he said.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan also saw upside in Jaska’s game.

“He’s only had that one year in the system, but he’s impressed as that tall, rangy defender,” Sheehan said.

“If someone’s wanting a player who can close down the dangerous forwards, that’s still got massive upside, he might get a go.”

Jaska was the only Geelong Falcon to find a home in tonight’s rookie draft, joining Matt Ling, Tom McCartin, James Worpel and Gryan Miers on AFL lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back