List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Drew Petrie

Remove this Banner Ad

We took one rookie, one player we were obliged to take, and a 30 odd year old forward who was delisted 3 months ago by a team most here would agree is worse than us.

You said we haven't lost anything with Petrie's selection, when in fact we've lost that opportunity of finding a best 22 player, however small it may have be. I'm not advocating relying on unearthing a gem in the rookie draft, I'm saying the chance of it happening with Petrie getting picked up instead of countless other players is now 0%.

Well maybe in next years rookie draft we'll get that best 22 player.

Drew Petrie said:
I wouldn't have done this kind of thing if I didn't think the club wouldn't be successful this year

df9514222dd43aa54f08b37483f214921d2722d3362b3ca5be2075c726d12018.jpg

It isn't hindsight to say selecting Petrie is highly regrettable and will provide us with nothing.

Except that's not what was said and I was replying to.

In any case, what you are saying is foresight. An actual skill which is different skill set to what kranky al has.

Imagine if Slyce breaks down toward the end of the year and Petrie performs really well in the ruck alongside Giles.

Then we make a GF and Naitanui is struggling to prove his fitness.

The match committee decides to play it safe and goes into the GF with Giles and Petrie, whilst NN and Slyce are forced to watch the Dish pull out his signature fist pumps on the winner's dais as he receives his premiership medallion.

"What a fantastic business decision", he'll think to himself as he embraces Simmo after the final siren.

Imagine if Slyce breaks down toward the end of the year and Petrie performs really well in the ruck alongside Giles.

The match committee decides to play it safe and goes into the GF with Giles and Petrie, whilst NN and Slyce are forced to watch the Dish pull out his signature fist pumps on the winner's dais as he receives his premiership medallion.

"What a fantastic business decision", he'll think to himself as he embraces Simmo after the final siren.

I would hurt for NN. Truly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Eagles fans would be celebrating a flag, feeling bad for NN and unless Petrie picked up a Cam Mooney style medal, hailing our recruiting team for one of the smartest punts of all time.

Then there'd be a select few trolling North supporters and claiming Petrie would be remembered as an Eagle and had done more in one season than he did there in over 300 games.

Business decision?. So hes getting one last decent paycheck. Have fun with that
To be fair, having just watched the press conference hearing that quote in full and in the context of the question asked it's nowhere near as mercenary sounding as that tweet

Well, I still think the decision to rookie Petrie is wrong, but after watching that I do feel somewhat better about it

It's a short term thing while Naitanui's out with his knee and nobody is under any illusions that he's there for anything other than to provide another selection option for 2017.

There's also no agreement or promise of a coaching role after 2017 like there is with Mitchell

I thought it was a waste of a pick but hope he proves me wrong

Meh i am over it so may as well move on. At the end of the day he cost nothing and should at worst be able to play a game or two if we are down players.

Some options.

Option 1:

Round 1 no Nic nat and Lycett is a 100% ready to go. Vardy, Petrie & Giles all raring to go:

Ruck: Lycett

Forward line:

Mid Vardy Darling
Cripps?/Lecra JK Rioli/Hill

Option 2:

Round 1 no Nic nat and Lycett is in the WAFL building up his fitness for an early call up in the season. Vardy, Petrie & Giles all raring to go:

Ruck: Giles

Forward line:

Mid Vardy Darling

Option 3:

Round 1 no Nic nat and Lycett is in the WAFL building up his fitness for an early call up in the season. Vardy, Petrie & Giles all raring to go:

Ruck: Giles

Forward line:

Mid Petire Darling

Simpson and Co have stated many times since the season finished that they want a player who can ruck & kick goals so Vardy and Petrie offer that. Vardy and Petrie are more suited to being forward than ruck so they should only be in there to be that dual role. Giles is the better ruckman of the three and would work better as a main ruckman if Lycett isn't ready. Option 1 for me is the right balance ONLY if Lycett and Vardy are a 100% fit. This scenario lets Darling play as a third man.

Giles played one hell of a game v the Crows but he also showed the a few times during the year he wasn't up to it so having Petrie in the team should keep him honest.

Hi...... sorry I'm larfing, really can't believe he's still latched to the AFL tit.

Should Drew play most games in 2017- who you thinking you should take with the first pick in the 2017 draft?

Hi...... sorry I'm larfing, really can't believe he's still latched to the AFL tit.

Should Drew play most games in 2017- who you thinking you should take with the first pick in the 2017 draft?
I like your thinking

After he plays every game for us in 2017 we can trade him back to you guys for pick 1

I like your thinking

After he plays every game for us in 2017 we can trade him back to you guys for pick 1
Can you throw in a second rounder so we can pick up Farren Ray too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back