List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

No way will he lose his spot, I think he's now a lock in our best 22.

West coast have spent a few years training him to play a specific midfield role (basically a modern day andrew embley, combining height and marking ability with a big tank and good hands on the deck) and he's starting to repay the investment handsomely. He also exactly the player you want in a finals team because he's so versatile and can fill so many different roles if a key player goes down.

I would say he's in our best 22 midfield rotation, either starting on the wing opposite Gaff, or first midfielder on the interchange.

So on current form who comes out from the midfield in his place? You add Shuey and Yeo, who do you take out? Cole and potentially Witherden come out of defence for Hurn and Duggan. Edwards and Waterman come out for Mcgovern and Barrass (Allen forward), Most likely it's Langdon and either Petch,Jones or Ah Chee out for Ryan and Rioli.

We play 3 tall forwards, 3 smalls and 2 rucks, we always play 7 defenders (minimum). That leaves 7 spots. Yeo, Shuey, Kelly, Sheed, Duggan, Gaff. As i said, he could very likely be the one who misses out or is the Medical Sub. On current form he's there as the 22nd player picked.

But say we play against a run and gun side in the finals. Do you really want 9 talls in the team?

Just on Brander - and I’m being picky - would like to see him flatten his longer kicks.

I thought there was a bit of hang time evident today with some of his longer kicks into the forward line.

I think that's his type of kicks now and I actually don't mind them from the past few games, some of them travel a good distance that catches the other team off-guard which I like to say is one of his strengths now for us.

Just on Brander - and I’m being picky - would like to see him flatten his longer kicks.

I thought there was a bit of hang time evident today with some of his longer kicks into the forward line.
I don’t think it’s being that picky - he still has a lot to work on in this new role, and I’m sure he’d be one of the first to admit that. He’ll no doubt have an off game sooner or later, which will make people doubt his position in the side again, but it’s a work in progress.

So on current form who comes out from the midfield in his place? You add Shuey and Yeo, who do you take out? Cole and potentially Witherden come out of defence for Hurn and Duggan. Edwards and Waterman come out for Mcgovern and Barrass (Allen forward), Most likely it's Langdon and either Petch,Jones or Ah Chee out for Ryan and Rioli.

We play 3 tall forwards, 3 smalls and 2 rucks, we always play 7 defenders (minimum). That leaves 7 spots. Yeo, Shuey, Kelly, Sheed, Duggan, Gaff. As i said, he could very likely be the one who misses out or is the Medical Sub. On current form he's there as the 22nd player picked.

But say we play against a run and gun side in the finals. Do you really want 9 talls in the team?
I think this is our theoretical best 22 come finals.

FB: Rotham Barrass Shepherd
HB:Duggan Mcgovern Hurn
C: Gaff Kelly Brander
HF: Cripps Darling Rioli
FF:Ryan Kennedy Allen

R: Naitanui Shuey Yeo
INT: Sheed Redden Nelson Cole

You can switch out one of the final 3 int players for Vardy or Williams if a second ruckman is required I guess. So really what I'm saying is Brander is in the first 6 midfield rotation, edging Redden- that's partly because Yeo and Shuey both play the same inside, onball role as Redden, but are better.

You can switch out one of the final 3 int players for Vardy or Williams if a second ruckman is required I guess. So really what I'm saying is Brander is in the first 6 midfield rotation, edging Redden- that's partly because Yeo and Shuey both play the same inside, onball role as Redden, but are better.
Jones or Petch in for Cripps, probably Jones given his ability to play a midfield role. I think Cripps will be depth only at the end of the year once we have a fit list.
We will also play the 2nd ruck and have 1 too many backs in that lot so I would say Cole misses for Williams.
That would be a very tough team to beat if all on the park together and in the right head space.
That said, it is unlikely we will have all of those blokes available at any one time but we are starting to develop some nice depth by playing the 2nd tier players currently.

Largely agree with that - in that ideal scenario - I actually think Cole might miss out (Medical sub and one of Petch/Jones/Ah Chee plays instead).

Nelson has capacity to play mid/tagger - which makes him valuable.

Also think Yeo is far more likely to be Fwd/Mid as opposed to Mid - just can't see him being fit enough to spend massive minutes in there.

Largely agree with that - in that ideal scenario - I actually think Cole might miss out (Medical sub and one of Petch/Jones/Ah Chee plays instead).

Nelson has capacity to play mid/tagger - which makes him valuable.

Also think Yeo is far more likely to be Fwd/Mid as opposed to Mid - just can't see him being fit enough to spend massive minutes in there.
Thanks to injuries, these selection dilemmas usually take care of themselves.

Agree about Yeo as a forward flank option at least in the short term.

Have to say, the guy who sticks out to me as vulnerable in that 22 is Cripps. At the moment he's an automatic selection due to his history, but he would want to find some form heading into the second half of the season, because Rioli/Petch/Langdon/Jones/Ah Chee are all pushing for his spot.

Thanks to injuries, these selection dilemmas usually take care of themselves.

Agree about Yeo as a forward flank option at least in the short term.

Have to say, the guy who sticks out to me as vulnerable in that 22 is Cripps. At the moment he's an automatic selection due to his history, but he would want to find some form heading into the second half of the season, because Rioli/Petch/Langdon/Jones/Ah Chee are all pushing for his spot.

Have been impressed with Jones's form over the last 2 weeks. He has actually been able to spend some time in the midfield too which we dont do with Cripps.

Petch has also improved somewhat after going backwards last year so i hope he continues to improve.

Few observations

Still haven't seen Marsder use his non preferred yet. Right foot kicks only for him.

Also i REALLY like how as soon as he gets it, he looks fleet of foot and stiffens to change direction suddenly if needed. It helps him not receive the ball and get wrapped up meekly like a pleb. In traffic or when you see him with an opponent next to him, when he gets the ball he puts a little shimmy on and creates a bit more space for himself.

Many of our mids are one paced (Redden, TK, Gaff, Sheed) and can't/won't do this ^^ Yeo and Shuey both can and do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few observations

Still haven't seen Marsder use his non preferred yet. Right foot kicks only for him.

Also i REALLY like how as soon as he gets it, he looks fleet of foot and stiffens to change direction suddenly if needed. It helps him not receive the ball and get wrapped up meekly like a pleb. In traffic or when you see him with an opponent next to him, when he gets the ball he puts a little shimmy on and creates a bit more space for himself.

Many of our mids are one paced (Redden, TK, Gaff, Sheed) and can't/won't do this ^^ Yeo and Shuey both can and do.

Do you reckon he has a basketball background?

HF: Cripps:question: Darling Rioli

Captain Fumbles would need a massive improvement in his production, because at this juncture in the season, he is only in the team on reputation, hell even ah Chee showed more is one game as a crumbing forward than Cripps has shown all season.

Witherden is a dark horse as well he may make the final cut come seasons end, Cole might just be getting a touch nervy with how Witherden is gathering form,.

Other Than that - I like the team. :thumbsu:

No way will he lose his spot, I think he's now a lock in our best 22.
Yep. Unless his form regresses he's now in our best 22 no matter who is available. On the form of the last month or so he would sit somewhere around 12th-15th on our list, but with a very high ceiling that could see him one day being in our top few players.

The improvement in him and Oscar has been a huge positive in 2021.

With a full hand of midfielders to select from, Brander is 7th behind Shuey, Yeo, Kelly, Gaff, Sheed and Redden which is nothing to be ashamed of

The problem with that, for Brander, is we’ve traditionally (well since 2018) structured up with 6 midfielders- it’s what kept Sheed out of the side prior to Gaff’s brain fart

So how do we keep him in the 22 after Yeo and Shuey return when I can see him becoming as structurally important as Masten was in 2018?

Would like to see us playing Shuey as a half forward with occasional bursts in the midfield and even have Kelly pushing forward more often as we know from his Geelong days he’s capable of hitting the scoreboard

It’ll be a good problem to have

With a full hand of midfielders to select from, Brander is 7th behind Shuey, Yeo, Kelly, Gaff, Sheed and Redden which is nothing to be ashamed of

The problem with that, for Brander, is we’ve traditionally (well since 2018) structured up with 6 midfielders- it’s what kept Sheed out of the side prior to Gaff’s brain fart

So how do we keep him in the 22 after Yeo and Shuey return when I can see him becoming as structurally important as Masten was in 2018?

Would like to see us playing Shuey as a half forward with occasional bursts in the midfield and even have Kelly pushing forward more often as we know from his Geelong days he’s capable of hitting the scoreboard

It’ll be a good problem to have
I was just coming here to post that too. I guess it's gonna be a question of how tall we wanna be IMO he could potentially play Waterman HFF/fwd role. Jake a better natural foward but away from goal Brander def has the tools. I think we'll miss his kicking especially those proactive kicks going forward.

I was just coming here to post that too. I guess it's gonna be a question of how tall we wanna be IMO he could potentially play Waterman HFF/fwd role. Jake a better natural foward but away from goal Brander def has the tools. I think we'll miss his kicking especially those proactive kicks going forward.

I like how Brander gets back to help out the defence. He needs to be on the wing to do that effectively

I like how Brander gets back to help out the defence. He needs to be on the wing to do that effectively
I think we can find a way of doing that tbh. Reckon Yeo/Shuey/Kelly will spend some time forward. Redden/Sheed/Brander/Gaff will probably be the main guys going through the wings.

TBF I'm not sure if Yeo will spend a heap of time in the midfield in a his first couple weeks.

The idea that we can play a 195cm winger, that once he fills out a bit, can go and play key forward or key defender if required is nice.

Now to take advantage of that we just need to find more mids that can play, so we don't end up having a team of 15 talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back