List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanted at least one positive thread going.

I was impressed with Brander today, never stopped trying and created some good contests in the air. Showed some intent and solidified his place in the side further for me.

Well done on your development this year JB.
Yep, great to see him crack in today. Couple of big contests in particular in the middle against Stanley. Certainly was a bit timid in previous years but has got some much needed physicality in his game this year.

I feel for the kid.

He's a key position player and like Allen in previous years, is being played out of position for the need of the team. He's not the first and won't be the last in that regard, but that's still not an easy feat.

I thought he was one of the few who gave 110% on the weekend. Don't understand the criticism by some of his game on Saturday. He showed heart.

I'm pleased to see Brander actually being given a shot, and performing to an acceptable standard, but it's baby steps.

We drafted who we considered the best or second best tall in the draft (I recall an interview with maybe Woodhouse who said they had him rated ~5), and at the moment he's a defensively minded wing who gets a medium-low amount of ball and basically doesn't * up, without being particularly damaging.

Look forward to seeing him play forward one day. With his athleticism and new found contested game plus the new rules advantaging forwards, he could be very very good. But I am enjoying watching him play up the ground at the moment. Bloody good kick he is. Will be a very good forward line with him and Oscar.

Not only does he not get out marked, he's marking was really good today. Mixing inside 50 very good too. Some were "easy" but plenty of players try to complicate things and don't take the easy option all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the AFL site 9 things we learned this round.

4. Brander deserves a new deal after six-week burst
In the space of six games, versatile Eagle Jarrod Brander has gone from a fringe player without a clear role at AFL level to now be an influential member of Adam Simpson's best 22. The 196cm Brander is underrated and deserves acknowledgement for the way he has taken his opportunity this season. He is growing in confidence by the week and on Sunday against Hawthorn he had seven inside 50s (behind only Tim Kelly and Andrew Gaff), using the ball well with 19 disposals as a key link-up player through the midfield and drifting forward. His exceptional running power for a big man is highlighted by his ability to also push back and intercept, with Simpson now spoilt for choices with how to use the 22-year-old. Yet to announce a contract extension beyond this season, his signature should be high on the priority list now for the Eagles' list management team. - Nathan Schmook

Best game i've seen from him. Did everything right and played his role to perfection.

With a full list to choose from he could be a very unlucky player late in the season as an out but is definitely a very large part of our future if he keeps this up.

Best game i've seen from him. Did everything right and played his role to perfection.

With a full list to choose from he could be a very unlucky player late in the season as an out but is definitely a very large part of our future if he keeps this up.
No way will he lose his spot, I think he's now a lock in our best 22.

West coast have spent a few years training him to play a specific midfield role (basically a modern day andrew embley, combining height and marking ability with a big tank and good hands on the deck) and he's starting to repay the investment handsomely. He also exactly the player you want in a finals team because he's so versatile and can fill so many different roles if a key player goes down.

I would say he's in our best 22 midfield rotation, either starting on the wing opposite Gaff, or first midfielder on the interchange.

Need to sign this guy up ASAP. No doubt there’ll be plenty of clubs with a shortage of KPPs and plenty of spare cash in their cap that are prepared to offer very good money and a long term deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back