Werribee v Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Box Hill Hawks 5.3 7.5 10.8 12.11 (83)
Werribee Tigers 1.5 3.6 6.14 7.16 (58)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Grimley 3 Kennedy 2 Iles Webster Murphy Lowden Lock Schoenmakers Hallahan
Werribee Tigers: Porter Harper Wood Bolton Sherlock Sodomaco Daw

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Stratton Kennedy Lowden Iles Kelly Murphy
Werribee Tigers: Firrito McGenniss Moore Martyn Reid Sherlock

Looks like Harper did play in the ones. Must be another one at Werribee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aboard my faithful pachyderm, I voyaged into the leafy suburbs, and thus did espy:

Werribee had a ton of it, but couldn't move it as efficiently as Box Hill, and then of course the goal kicking was on the shyte side of wasteful. The third quarter stats board in the huddle told the story - won the clearances 15 - 4, and the inside fifties 17 -6, and kicked 3.8 (the final goal on the siren).

First some odds and ends - Kieran Harper was walking the boundary in a neat pair of tortoise shell sunglasses, with a limp and a bandaged right knee. The Harper on the scorecard is a Bees player, Jobi (what were the parents thinking). Also, second week in a row that Geoff Walsh was on hand, and I dare say he was contemplating the need for a stand alone VFL side so our younger blokes can play in a more professional environment.

Of the North list:

Spud was Spud - tough, good over head, less successful the further he had to kick the ball (missed two shots on the run going into fifty). McMahon was serviceable across half back; hit the post with a set shot in the third

Hine and McGenniss - these guys are so similar in style, albeit the former was on the half back flank and the latter tagging in the guts; hard at it, and poor by foot. McGenniss tagged Ben Ross, and the latter was anonymous, so you would say job done. On the other hand, when marking in the first quarter on a reasonable angle at 40 out, he kicks it out of bounds on the full. Enough said.

Mason Wood - played as a leading forward, and started on fire; kicked a goal from a tough pocket, missed another 40 out in front, and yet another running in under pressure. Thereafter was pretty good in transition play, and has got a nice left foot in those phases of play, but didn't threaten the goals

Kayne Turner - what a dynamo. Didn't impact the scoreboard, but the forward pressure was something else (especially ferocious in the third quarter). Will be ready next year, and the natural successor for Boomer.

Sam Wright - played on a wing, and then in the 4th quarter as a defensive forward on the Box Hill captain and backline general David Mirra. Was good on the wing and in transition, getting into 50 plenty of times

Majak Daw - well the original Curate's Egg today, good in parts and putrid in others. On the positive - good in the ruck, first hands on it more often than not and his follow up tackling in the clearances very solid. Marked well around the ground, and showing some real footballing touch - in the second quarter, put a beautifully weighted kick for Shylock to run on to (who missed the set shot). Maj kicked a good goal on the run from 45 in the same quarter. Things still to work on - set shots (missed two in the third quarter, one of them very kick-able) and gave up a goal with a horrible kick attempting a switch on the backline. These are the sort of games that Maj will be capable of winning off his own back

Thanks Roomy great write up.

Was awaiting to hear how Maj went. Sounds like he was solid which is exactly what we need from him.Marking around the ground seems to be massively underrated by some.

2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Looks like Harper did play in the ones. Must be another one at Werribee.

Different Harper in the ones. Jobe Harper?. So hopefully our harper got a good run in the 2's if named as best.

Went to the game. Good conditions. A bit of a breeze but not too bad.

Sideshow Bob came into the ground with me. A bandage around his thigh so presumably injured.

Playing last years VFL premiers on the home patch after they unfurled the flag was always going to be a tough game for Werribee. They were very competitive but let themselves down badly in front of goal and with their disposal in general. There was also a number of "cheap" goals given to the hawks from bad Werribee clangers. Unfortunately the NM contingent were significant contributors to both the bad goalkicking and the clangers. You cant give a well drilled unit like the Hawks any leeway and Werribee did.

Firrito : A Titan down back. A typical Firrito game. A ready made replacement if any of our backmen go down Was told off by Lamont for blazing away by foot when other options available but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe there.

McMahon : Serviceable game. Battled hard but seems out of form and lacking confidence to me. When he is in form at VFL level his coolness and decision making under pressure usually stand out. Today that seemed sadly lacking.

Mcgenniss : I thought a quiet game from him. But I notice that he was in the named in the bests. He may have been tagging Hallahan who was relatively quiet. His disposal was noticeably better in this game than the last time I saw him.

Hine : Also quiet. He did do some good work in the last and appeared to be on Ben Ross who I hardly noticed all day. So again maybe Hine did a good defensive job

Wood: Early on was Werribee's best. Bobbing up everywhere. Kicked a beautiful goal from the boundary line but also missed 2 sitters. Clever player who always feel confident in one on one. Bid from my perspective he did seem to noticeably tire in the last quarter.

Daw : Did some brilliant things and some poor things. Could easily have ended up with 3-4 goals and a couple of big goal assists if he and others could have kicked better. But also several clangers. Dropped a mark in the goal square. Ran into Warren when either of them could have marked it 30 meters out. Kicked across the Hawks goal straight to the one hawk amongst 3 Werribee players. But perhaps a little unfair to pick on those as generally his disposal round the ground was good. Much more confident when he had the ball in hand than most of the Werribee players. That has really improved. He also won most of the ruck contests he was in tho not a lot of his clean tap outs ended up in Werribee hands. But his marking around the ground (apart from the one in the goal square) was very clean and markedly better than 2-3 weeks ago at a practise match I saw. Maybe 2-3 weeks away from being AFL ready

Turner : He was no 8 in the practise matches but no 43 in this game. So I missed his first quarter. A lot less impact then in the practise matches. Did really look like a boy amongst men today. Still competed hard and laid some excellent tackles and did some other good work. For his first VFL senior game it was a reasonable debut but I think today showed he has a fair way to go before being considered for AFL footy.

Wright : Did some very good work but also some sloppy stuff. Disappointing for mine. Expected more. A little like Mcmahon. Seems to be lacking confidence and form. Certainly not banging the door down for an AFL return

It looked like the ex North listed player Norris was playing for Werribee??

Ayden Kennedy played very well for the Hawks. Sigh. Played a lot of the game up forward and was good there. I always thought we should tried him forward...

Kayne Turner - what a dynamo. Didn't impact the scoreboard, but the forward pressure was something else (especially ferocious in the third quarter). Will be ready next year, and the natural successor for Boomer.

unexpected_ejaculation-45679.gif

Turner : Did really look like a boy amongst men today.

Correct - he's just turned 18, and he was better than reasonable

Interesting reading about Daw.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-04-05/werribee-report-card-round-1

According to the NMFC site Daw had 17 disposals 7 seven marks 20 hit outs.

"
. Majak Daw’s second and third quarters were outstanding as the forward/ruck imposed himself on the game. He took some big contested marks around the ground and battled well in the ruck for 20 hit-outs. However fading in and out of games is still something he needs to work on".

He's not on his own there.

Sounds like Maj is focused on the aspects of his game that were letting him down in his North games last year. Gotta get him back playing as soon as is possible, needs more experience playing key forward on the best defenders.

Sounds like Maj is focused on the aspects of his game that were letting him down in his North games last year. Gotta get him back playing as soon as is possible, needs more experience playing key forward on the best defenders.

After the Brissy debut and the domination of the Bulldogs, Clubs started leading him under the ball.

North spent the majority of the off-season teaching him the nuances of the game.

I still believe he's the most exciting talent on our list.

Tall, strong , quick and can take a contested mark, they don't grow on trees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back