Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this. And it's not spoken about enough.

It's not a talent laden line relative to the comp, but it should be performing better than it is. The 2014/15/16 teams obviously had better forwards, but there was also a clear plan and forward identity.

You could sit behind the goals on Level 3 and Brown, Waite and LT all had their own running patterns and zones

My biggest fear is not with the players anymore.

It’s that Clarko is a shadow of his former self and is basically a has been. Aka, pagan at Carlton.

Team selection and game plan has done nothing to sway me from this. He has more to prove than anyone.

To date, he’s been a disappointment, let’s be honest.

It’s that Clarko is a shadow of his former self and is basically a has been. Aka, pagan at Carlton.

Team selection and game plan has done nothing to sway me from this. He has more to prove than anyone.

what the hell are you talking about?

Do you guys seriously not remember how utterly painful we were to watch the COVID year and the Noble years? It was like ******* torture!

Give the guy five minutes ffs

I don't mind his gameplan as a starting point. We mostly just need to be smarter about when to put the breaks on and catch our breaths, as well as have a better plan/execution when the opposition has ascendency. We have so many new faces, almost everyone is young, and we've played more than solid teams; s**t's going to take time. Executing going into our own 50 needs to improve too, obviously.

I think team selection is a really valid criticism at this point though. Hopefully by the halfway point this year we get an idea as to what the selection mantra has been, as it could be forgivable. Or there might be no rhyme or reason and it's all just s**t. Wait and see on that one.

Literally the first year that he's had a full pre-season, for what should be a full season of coaching ahead. It gets said a lot around here, but this is effectively year one for him. 2023 was a calamity for various off-field reasons.

Maybe Clarko is washed, sure, but we haven't seen nearly enough of him to declare that yet.

what the hell are you talking about?

Do you guys seriously not remember how utterly painful we were to watch the COVID year and the Noble years? It was like ******* torture!

Give the guy five minutes ffs

5mins? He’s had 18 months mate.

Yes, we were trash then, and we are trash now, albeit with a bit more youth and green shoots.

Honestly, I thought by now he’d be making weekly changes after a loss; implement the Clarko cluster, have a functional forward line, and have every bloke on the list cracking in for life or death. We’re still meek.

If you knew nothing about anything, it looks the same as the noble years.

It have faith, but geez it’s getting tough and the next few weeks could be ugly. Then what, Clarko wants more time off or something?

Yes, we were trash then, and we are trash now, albeit with a bit more youth and green shoots.

Honestly, I thought by now he’d be making weekly changes after a loss; implement the Clarko cluster, have a functional forward line, and have every bloke on the list cracking in for life or death. We’re still meek.

It have faith, but geez it’s getting tough and the next few weeks could be ugly. Then what, Clarko wants more time off or something?
Barely coached last year...

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weird take IMO.

We've cut the last remnants of the previous era, the team is basically now the youngest in the comp and looks better than last year, which was a very minor improvement on the year before. We have played 3 teams right at the top of (admittedly a very early) ladder. I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions too early this season. I have no idea why you'd expect Clarkson to implement the "cluster" again. If coaching were as simple as repeating the last thing that worked we'd still be looking for the next Carey to base our paddock around.

Have some faith, Clarkson might not be the one to get us all the way but I'm very confident we are improving year on year and the stats back that up so far - last year might have had less wins but we were more competitive. To my eye we are again in key areas this year albeit hamstrung by a poor backline, little depth there and running such a young squad. If we do better than last year with a massively younger team it will be a good result IMO.

One of the highlights of watching NM was seeing Spud dash out of the d50 and kick a ripping 55m drop punt to one of our forwards.

They both make the current crop look like 2nds players from Nilma Darnum,although I like the look of Dawson.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We forget that Thompson was a bonafide AA defender and Firrito was just one rung away from that.

Both strong, quick and highly effective defenders and rebounders.

It’s sad that we have been incapable of unearthing more of this type of quality player from the rookie draft when other teams have.

We forget that Thompson was a bonafide AA defender and Firrito was just one rung away from that.

Both strong, quick and highly effective defenders and rebounders.

It’s sad that we have been incapable of unearthing more of this type of quality player from the rookie draft when other teams have.

To be fair Larkey and Zurhaar were great picks from deep in the draft and the rookie draft. Agreed we need more though.

Really? You need to wipe 2023 off the map. You also understand that its a coaching group? Clarkson, Adcock, Clarke and Adams. All incredibly competent at their jobs. Clarke and Adcock have huge wraps on them, Monk as the ruck coach. Barlow as Dev coach is phenomenal also. You wont see the fruits of their labour immediately, we are coming from a long way back.

We lost to the dogs in 2021 by 22 goals, we had the ball in our front half of the ground for 5% of the game.

Is this Marc Lilac mcgowan? Or is that you purple?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird take IMO.

We've cut the last remnants of the previous era, the team is basically now the youngest in the comp and looks better than last year, which was a very minor improvement on the year before. We have played 3 teams right at the top of (admittedly a very early) ladder. I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions too early this season. I have no idea why you'd expect Clarkson to implement the "cluster" again. If coaching were as simple as repeating the last thing that worked we'd still be looking for the next Carey to base our paddock around.

Have some faith, Clarkson might not be the one to get us all the way but I'm very confident we are improving year on year and the stats back that up so far - last year might have had less wins but we were more competitive. To my eye we are again in key areas this year albeit hamstrung by a poor backline, little depth there and running such a young squad. If we do better than last year with a massively younger team it will be a good result IMO.
Spot on Shinte.

Regarding the team selection gripes each of the team earned their spot during the preseason. You can’t just dump them at the drop of a hat. That said if certain players keep underperforming then someone else should be given an opportunity and I expect we’ll see that in coming weeks.

I can’t wait to see the ruthless expectations and hard decisions made.

So far in terms of leadership a lot of the senior players I thought would thrive under Clarko simply haven’t. They’ve either stagnated (and still being picked) retired or left.

Our choice for captain/s wasn’t a hard decision made at all. Couldn’t pick, so chose them both. And I think we’d all have to agree that neither captains are consistent in setting standards.

Time will tell. Get some fire in the belly Clarko!

Spot on Shinte.

Regarding the team selection gripes each of the team earned their spot during the preseason. You can’t just dump them at the drop of a hat. That said if certain players keep underperforming then someone else should be given an opportunity and I expect we’ll see that in coming weeks.
Exactly.

Don't get me wrong I don't always agree with every selection decision (with the much more limited information I have). I often think the team can be too cautious, I'd have happily had Sellers in last week - or even the week before - rather than the potentially forced inclusion this week and stand by the position that it would've been worth the risk, we will find out this week but sometimes a gamble is worth it. If we can run a VFL level backline why not a single proven VFL forward who is on fire... But overall with the youngest squad going around I'm comfortable that selection should be slightly more medium / long term in its strategy compared to a team fighting for top 4 from the start of the season.

I think for me it is not that we lost. I definitely went in expecting that. It's HOW we lost that is a gut punch.

A combination of bizarre umpiring (one day George Wardlaw will be rewarded for his heroic efforts with a htb call) and really weak pressure from our senior players were the biggest problems, ong a host of others. Both of those are unacceptable for any team, even a terrible rebuilding one.
Yeah, and I think that's what most fans are annoyed about. If the opposition is just better and you get beaten, that's the way of the world. But some of the turnovers, under no pressure, and just simple facets like lowering your eyes and finding a target, defenders letting their opponents roam free, things footballers are taught even at junior levels, that's what I think is frustrating a lot of people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back