Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton & the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember if this free resulted in a goal, but the free against Simpkin, for holding, was an obviously bad decision -

Yeah Kangaroos4eva posted it a few pages back.

I've moved on from the game. Despite what we were up against in the first month and Friday - proud the way we've carried ourselves. Losses still hurt obviously.

Make no mistake though, I would be filthy with Voss if that's the way Carlton want to play. It would make West Coast and Brisbane blush. Never seen a side so full of players with no interest in the next contest and do everything to make the umpire aware.

They better hope for a 2016 Bulldogs type run because they'll get blown away in the finals if they make it.

Just finished watching the replay - switching off after the King of Marvel’s goal early in the third and back on with about seven and a half minutes to go in the fourth - and it reinforced how much we have to be proud and to look forward to. I never watch replays of losses but I really enjoyed so much about this match. LDU, Simpkin, Scott, Sheezel, Tucker, Phillips, Powell - I can’t remember seeing a North team with so much class on the ball, plus and the spirit and confidence they showed to play that game to to the final siren.

Involve stakeholders in decision-making: Involve players, coaches, and fans in decision-making processes around umpiring. This could help ensure that their perspectives and concerns are taken into account and that solutions are developed collaboratively.
Interestingly, Chat GPT was pretty much on song there, but the final point (quoted) is a bit strange as it already happens. Dangerfield regularly awards free kicks to himself and umpires rarely disagree. The roar of the crowd heavily influences decisions as well - just watch Ray Chamberlain when the home team's crowd call "BALL"... He goes into full theatrical mode and blows the whistle, does some ballet while holding back his signal for a few seconds to create anticipation then awards whatever the crowd want before taking a bow as the crowd scream "YEESSSSS!!!".

The Premiership Club allocated bays mostly don’t cover the entire bay, mostly the front 5 or so rows are on sale. There will always be a chance for opposition fans or neutrals to be sitting there.

Also traditionally one of the perks of the premiership club membership was a couple of guest passes which allowed you to bring a mate along. Given most of your North mates have the same membership it’s not uncommon to bring along the guy that goes for the other team. I have no problem with it as long as they’re not a loud mouth or overly obnoxious. One of the joys of footy is watching with the opposition supporters and having a bit of banter.

I get people want totally North sections and I think the permanent reserved seats cover that.

The stadium/club need to look at addressing the staffing at the bar and the seating if the crowds are going to get bigger. It will be interesting to see what the renovated area looks like.

Bluws fans think they’re good
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

I’m quite sure they are too - if they play to their potential. Their biggest problem is that they’re flaky - like WB and Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Potential is an ugly word in footy - like mahony was going to to potentially be the next Robbie gray.
They are flaky as when they’re allowed to play their game they look good but the better sides won’t allow that to happen.

Bluws fans think they’re good
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

They are - hence, why I'm content (as opposed to happy) with Friday's game.

How good is another question.
A scrappy draw with Richmond - who I rate as very, very just OK.
A narrow win against the Cats - whose hangover could actually be literal
A narrow win against GWS - meh (and with significant umpire help)
A so-so win against North - undermanned in all the wrong places (and with significant umpire help).

They should play finals, Walsh back will help. He's one of two outstanding onballers and they have very good goal-to-goal line, no obvious weaknesses and are in the right age bracket. But based on what I've seen so far they'll need to improve and have some luck to go deep into the finals.

The thing with the competition now the talent is so diluted you don’t have to be that great to win a flag . Look at Bitchmond won 3, still can’t believe it to be honest but good luck to them. Last dominant team with great talent imo were the Hawks.

Could have easily won this one.
The singing and carry on from Carlton supporters after the game showed how relieved they were to get away with the win. They knew they were up against solid competition.
Questionable umpiring aside we had a bad patch in that 3rd term where we just lost control. Ultimately cost us.

We still have a few too many plodders running around which doesn't help and too many big guys injured- ccj xerri mckay, larkey in game and logue(suspended). Lack of height was very noticeable once the blues were playing more direct in 2nd half.

Midfield ran rings around the blues in first half. Imagine what we could do in 2-3 years time with Wardlaw, Powell, Phillips and Sheezel supporting Ldu and Jy in their prime. We could fly past them and a number of other teams.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The other thing that stands out watching the replay is the cost of missing so many gettable goals while we were on top. I know some were snaps under pressure but they weren’t that difficult and could have made a massive difference by half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with the competition now the talent is so diluted you don’t have to be that great to win a flag . Look at Bitchmond won 3, still can’t believe it to be honest but good luck to them. Last dominant team with great talent imo were the Hawks.
They were Dusty’s flags, they basically built a dynasty around him.
They wouldn’t have gotten anywhere near it without him.

I watched the replay and it wasn't just the umps. We got flogged.

The umps started it and so who knows what would have happened without their input.

But once they had a break they backed themselves and went long using McKay and Curnow. We had no answers. Our answers were injured and suspended for the game but I reckon that was the difference at that point. A fair game with just one of Logue and McKay and it would have been a different story.

We're coming tho and people are starting to notice that when we get there we'll be very good.

The umps started it and so who knows what would have happened without their input.

But once they had a break they backed themselves and went long using McKay and Curnow. We had no answers. Our answers were injured and suspended for the game but I reckon that was the difference at that point. A fair game with just one of Logue and McKay and it would have been a different story.

We're coming tho and people are starting to notice that when we get there we'll be very good.
At least teams have to put time into us now pre game and most of all we are competitive again for the most part. Going into this game or any game last couple of yrs it was how can we keep the loss to a respectable margin.

what struck out is we need multiple avenues to goal, how McKay and Curnow spread out after halftime with one taking marks up on the wing. Basically being able to kick to the other. Was a lesson for Larkey and Comben, the more selflessly they work the easier it is for the other to score. They both ended up with bags because of it.

How many games have McKay and Curnow played together compared to Larkey and Comben?

I think that answers a lot of questions about our forward structures. We just have to keep pumping games and have another small forward at the drop of the ball. We're not quite there yet and will rely on midfield dominance until then.

Thats the thing, once they got that buffer which was largely umpire assisted their confidence in taking risk went up. You're right in that it wasn't just umpiring, but who knows if they still would've played that way if it were closer.

At the game the team was definitely going at it even tho they started hammering us
That is the advantage of having more talent, more one touch players, yes you Harry and Will and Tom who can create opportunities
Ziebell was fantastic
If that is him fully fit he has a spot

100%.

I totally get people not being happy with losing and fair enough.

If you said we would be without our two best defenders against McKay and Curnow, unfavorable decisions AND playing poorly....would have pencilled Friday as a 20 goal loss.

Played poorly and only lost by 23 points.

On the way up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back